100 New Games Greenlit on Steam

A huge batch of new independently developed titles have made it through Steam's Greenlight process.

News by Pete Davison, .

Love it or loathe it, Steam's Greenlight process is quite a good means of discovering new games that you might not have come across usually.

It's been quite a slow process for many developers, though, with an awful lot of games stuck in limbo for a long time with nothing to show for their admission fee. In an apparent attempt to make up for lost time, however, Valve has ushered a hundred new games through the Greenlight gate today. This doesn't necessarily mean they're about to be released, however; most should start trickling out over the next few weeks or months, with some doubtless intending on taking advantage of Steam's new Early Access system. The huge volume of Greenlit titles is intended in part to be a stress-test of some of Valve's new back-end systems for publishers and developers.

There's too many games to list in a single post here, so Valve has helpfully made a collection of all of them for your reference. Some you might be familiar with, others you might not be. Here's a few highlights from my own experience:

Artemis

Artemis is every Star Trek fan's dream game: a multiplayer cooperative starship bridge simulator. It's an effort and a half to set up -- every individual player needs their own computer, tablet or phone running the game, plus an extra system to act as the bridge's main viewscreen -- but once you get it running there's nothing quite like it.

Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils

Bunny Must Die! is the work of Japanese doujin circle Platine Dispositif, who previously brought us the excellent bullet hell shooter series Gundemonium in collaboration with localizer Rockin' Android. Rather than being another danmaku blastathon, though, Bunny Must Die! is a Metroidvania-style platform adventure with excellent stylized 2D sprite-based graphics and rockin' music.

Croixleur

Croixleur is a fast-paced arena-based hack and slash developed by Japanese doujin circle Souvenir Circ, localized and published by Nyu Media. It's a fairly simple game, but it's a lot of fun in a distinctly arcadey style, and features some enormously addictive time attack and "endless" modes to challenge once you're done with the story.

Delver

Delver is a first-person perspective roguelike action RPG with Minecraft-style graphics, randomly-generated levels and a strong sense that the developers played a lot of Ultima Underworld when they were younger. The game is in active ongoing development, and will grow in complexity as time goes on.

Multimedia Fusion 2

This isn't a game, but it's noteworthy nonetheless, as it's a super-easy, well-regarded means of creating your own software. It's the latest iteration of a family of creation software that began way back in 1994 with Klik & Play. It's enormously flexible but also very easy to use -- you don't need to know anything about programming to get started, just have a brain that can think things through logically.

How about you lot? Anything in that list you're particularly excited to see come to Steam? Anything you didn't think would ever make it through the Greenlight process? Any games you're still waiting for...?

Shadow of the Eternals was approved. Lulz...
    Chroma Squad! I'd already backed this on Kickstarter so it's nice to know it'll be ready to go on Steam. Hoping it has all the flavor of "Knights of Pen & Paper" with more gameplay depth. Also I heard a rumor there's references to "Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger" in it which hits my nerd button straight on...
  • Avatar for BitBrushStudios #3 BitBrushStudios 3 years ago
    Lots of lovely stuff was approved today. Most exciting for me is Oniken and Legend of Iya. The pixels please me so.
    Good enough news in the short term for gamers, but I think it's going to have a big impact on the profitibility of the indie games that do manage to get onto Steam. I think these games tend to make the bulk of their money while they're still on the top 10 new release page, and there hasn't been a lot of competition for new releases lately.

Discoverability might also become a big issue. Aside from the random crappy non-Greenlit games that come out from time to time, most of the non-big name stuff that has come out in the last few years has been great and had high discoverability.Edited August 2013 by weevilo
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #5 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    Waaaay too many games to play (><). I had never ever thought that would be a problem to me someday
    Is Dysfunctional Systems the first VN to get Greenlit?
    Automation is another game I'm glad to see Greenlit. The demo is well worth a look if you're a car guy/gal.
    Shadow of the Eternals but no Aces Wild? I know it's recent, but... it's pretty much the best thing on there right now.
    With Dino Run SE and Escape Goat on this list, I am in a weird position where I no longer have any chronic Greenlight failures/injustices to point at once a month or so. Time to look for a hobby.

(I am really happy about this.)
    Still no Pro Wrestling X, I see. Which is a shame, as I'd like to see Dave Wishnowski rewarded for his sheer bloody minded persistence, if nothing else.
    Delver looks like my kind of game.
    I want Delver so bad ;^; . There are so many games that got greenlit that I want. Why can't college be free so I can spend all of my money on games?!
  • Avatar for atozmp3songs1 #15 atozmp3songs1 A year ago