One of the main modes in Star Wars Battlefront 2 is the Starfighter Assault mode, as 24 total players take to the stars in their space ships, playing out a number of combat scenarios over the course of a single match. In this Star Wars Battlefront 2 Starfighter Assault guide, we'll be running down all the tips and tricks you need to know in order to win.
For help with anything else relating to Star Wars Battlefront 2, including how to find every Hidden Item in the campaign, as well as how to win at Heroes Vs Villains, check out our Star Wars Battlefront 2 guides walkthrough hub.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Starfighter Assault Guide
As we mentioned above, the Starfighter Assault mode is made up of 24 total players, with 12 players on each team. You will either be assigned to the 'good' side of the Republicans or the Rebels, or the 'bad' side of the Droid Army or the Empire. Either way, both teams will have crucial objectives that they have to accomplish in order to win at Starfighter Assault.
Before we delve into the specifics of combat scenarios in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Starfighter Assault mode, allow us to give you some handy tips and tricks for when you're flying about in open space:
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Starfighter Assault Tips
- When you're waiting in the lobby, press Y/Triangle while hovering over a spaceship to see what its abilities are.
- You'll usually find that evasive skill are on the left bumper, special attacks are on the right bumper, and a more powerful attack is enabled by pressing both buttons at once.
- Although there's nothing wrong with straying from the objective to take down a few enemy spaceships, it pays to play the objective in Starfighter Assault, particularly if you're on the offensive.
- As a general rule, it's always a good idea to go for any bombers you see, whether you're on offense or defence.
- Remember to activate any Star Cards you have for different space ships. You can do this by pressing X/Square while hovering over any type of space ship before the match begins.
- If you're taking damage from another player, make sure to change the direction which you're flying in immediately.
- When you're targeting another ship, the small circle just in front of the enemy craft will tell you where you need to fire in order to hit them.
- Make sure to change course regularly! Travelling in a straight line for too long gives enemy fighters an easy, unmoving target to hit you.
- A red indicator will flash up, and then decrease as you're being locked onto with a missile by another player. Change course immediately if this starts happening, as you want to throw them off your tail as quickly as possible.
- Don't forget that you can turn upside in Starfighter Assault, and this is actually a great tactic if you want to do a complete 180 in very little time. Simply turn upside down, pull the analog stick up, and you'll find yourself facing in the opposite direction.
As you can see in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 screenshot just below, you're given a single objective at the start of every Starfighter Assault battle. Each team must then work towards their respective objectives immediately, while obviously not trying to be destroyed by enemy gunships. In the scenario just below, the Rebel fighters are tasked with destroying several Imperial ships, going back and forth across the map.
In this scenario, the Imperial forces would be tasked with defending the gunships, destroying any Rebel fighters before they can deal too much damage to their ships. This is very much an 'attacking' scenario for the Rebels, and a 'defensive' scenario for the Imperials. In the match, the Rebels were victorious in destroying the three Imperial gunships, so they then moved on to the second of their objectives, this being to destroy the shield generator of the main Imperial Star Destroyer.
At this point, the Imperials were once again on the defensive from the Rebel forces, who had to attack several power couplings above the Star Destroyer, allowing them to fire openly on the shield generator for roughly 30 seconds. If the shield generator wasn't destroyed after these 30 seconds were up, the Rebel forces would have to once again disable the power couplings by firing on them. All through this phase of the battle, the Imperial forces are trying to defending both the power couplings and the shield generator.
The Starfighter Assault mode puts both the two opposing teams on the same objective point, as one team will have to attack the objective, while the other will have to defend it, just like we illustrated in the example above. Remember to always play the objective, unless you're under attack of course, in which case feel free to disengage and seek out your opponent.
The scenarios that we mentioned just above are purely from a single instance of Starfighter Assault, but the basic theme of attack and defend will always be there in the mode, no matter which side you're on.
Make sure to check back on this Starfighter Assault guide in the future, as we'll have all the latest tips, tricks, and helpful information for you as we approach the full launch of Star Wars Battlefront 2.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.