Activision and Sledgehammer are taking the Call of Duty series back to World War 2 in this year's entry, with Call of Duty WW2 hitting shelves in November. Call of Duty WW2 will follow last year's Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, developed by Infinity Ward and a number of other Activision studios. In this article we'll round up all the key info, including the Call of Duty WW2 release date, the Call of Duty WW2 Beta, Call of Duty WW2 Nazi Zombies, and pre-orders.
Call of Duty WW2 Essential Information
- Release Date: November 3, 2017
- Price: $60
- Platforms: PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- Developer: Sledgehammer Games (Previously created CoD: Advanced Warfare)
- Publisher: Activision
- Genre: FPS
Call of Duty WW2 Beta Start and End Date
The Call of Duty WW2 beta begins on August 25 on PS4. The CoD WW2 beta will also be coming to Xbox One after a period of PS4 exclusivity.
- PS4 CoD WW2 Beta starts 10AM PDT - August 25 / Ends September 4
- Xbox One CoD WW2 Beta starts 10AM PDT - September 1 / Ends September 4
How to get Access to the Call of Duty WW2 Beta
Anyone who pre-orders CoD WW2 will get access to the beta - physical pre-orders will come with a code to redeem while digital purchasers will get automatic entry to the beta.
What Content is in the Cod WW2 Beta?
- Maps – At least three Multiplayer maps, including: Pointe Du Hoc, Ardennes, and Gibraltar.
- War Mode – Operation Breakout
- Modes – Fan-favorite modes, including Team Deathmatch, Domination, and Hardpoint.
- Divisions – Enlist in the Infantry, Expeditionary, Airborne, Armored, or Mountain Division. You are not limited to any one Division, and we encourage you to try them all!
- Progression – Players will begin at Soldier Rank 1 and rank up through a limited progression to unlock weapons, scorestreaks, equipment, and Basic Training Skills.
”At least three Multiplayer maps” suggests that Sledgehammer might roll out more towards the end of the beta, but they are only guaranteeing you’ll be able to play on three.
The following is not included in the CoD WW2 beta:
- Headquarters – We’re testing the match-making of this all-new social experience, but access to this space will not be active during the Multiplayer Beta.
- Supply Drops, and Loot – These customization features that add depth and personality to your soldier will not be included in the Multiplayer Beta.
- Esports – Ranked Play, Game Battles, and our suite of competitive features will be accessible when we release in November.
- Additional content not in the Private Multiplayer Beta includes: full progression, remaining maps and modes, additional War Mode maps, and the full armory of weapons, scorestreaks, Basic Training, and equipment.
The official PlayStation twitter account revealed that players who participate in the Call of Duty: WW2 Beta will earn a Combat Pack, for use in the full game when it launches in November. You'll get a helmet, Calling Card, and Emblem with the Combat Pack, all of which can be seen in the image above.
You can watch the CoD: WW2 livestream reveal archive video right here. As well as giving you the first look at the game in action, the video also features talks with key members of the dev team.
Call of Duty WW2 Release Date
The Call of Duty WW2 release date is November 3, 2017. This means the game will be releasing globally on a Friday. Call of Duty WW2 will be released on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
Given the November 3 release date it's likely the game will have full support for both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox Scorpio. In the impending mid-gen war between PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio CoD WW2 is likely to be a major player. The Xbox used to be the console of choice for CoD players, but now lags behind PlayStation 4. If CoD WW2 looks significantly better on Xbox Scorpio it might well start a swing back to the Xbox.
In 2016 Activision released Call of Duty Infinite Warfare: Legacy Edition, which bundled the new game with a full remake of Call of Duty Modern Warfare. To date there is still no way to buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered outside of the Legacy Edition. Despite the strong critical reception for Infinite Warfare and the lure of Modern Warfare Remastered, the game didn’t sell as well as had been hoped (although still a juggernaut in comparison to most releases). Activision will be looking for Call of Duty WW2 to reignite interest in the franchise.
Pre-orders for Call of Duty WW2 are now live. In previous years Call of Duty games have released with a variety of special editions, including Infinite Warfare's Legacy Edition (bundled with Modern Warfare Remastered) and Black Ops 3's Juggernog Edition (which included a mini fridge).
Call of Duty WW2 players will be able to choose from Standard or Digital Deluxe versions of the game, the later including the Call of Duty WW2 Season Pass.
- Pre-order Call of Duty WW2 Standard Edition on PS4
- Pre-order Call of Duty WW2 Standard Edition on Xbox One
- Pre-order Call of Duty WW2 Standard Edition on PC
- Pre-order Call of Duty WW2 Digital Deluxe Edition on PS4
- Pre-order Call of Duty WW2 Digital Deluxe Edition on PC
Sony is yet again able to offer its gamers timed exclusive DLC, so PS4 players will be able to buy DLC for CoD WW2 before it's available for Xbox and PC players.
Call of Duty WW2 Valor Collection Edition Statue Revealed
Call of Duty WW2's Michael Condrey revealed the Valor Collection Edition on twitter recently, which is up for pre-order from EB Games Australia for 229.95AUD (which translates to $181.62/£139.28). The Valor Collection Edition comes with commemorative bronze statue of a group of Allied soldiers storming a beach, a Nazi Zombies poster, a Blood Raven Sword pin, and several Division patches. A steelbook version of Call of Duty WW2 is also included.
Call of Duty: WW2 Nazi Zombies
Call of Duty WW2 will include the hugely popular Zombies game mode. Zombies first appeared in Treyarch's CoD: World at War, the last game in the series set in World War 2.
Zombies in CoD: WW2 is a standalone cooperative game experience that will deliver a new story in which the Third Reich is attempting to create a new living weapon. The full reveal for Zombies mode in Call of Duty WW2 was made on July 20, 2017, with Activision releasing the CoD WW2 Nazi Zombies trailer you can see below.
In Call of Duty WW2 Nazi Zombies players will be fighting through a snowy village in Mittelburg, Germany. The goal is to recover prices works of art, stolen by the Axis powers during WW2. As you might expect, the village holds a deadly secret: Zombies!
Call of Duty WW2 Nazi Zombies Cast
- Marie Fischer - An engineer and tactician, Marie will help try to salvage the stolen treasures and find her brother, Klaus. In CoD WW2 Nazi Zombies, Marie is played by Katheryn Winnick.
- Drostan Hynd - Former art thief. Drostan was given the choice of going to jail or helping get back the stolen art. In CoD WW2 Nazi Zombies, Drostan is played by David Tennant.
- Olivia Durant - A former historian at the Louvre, Oliva is also a weapons expert. In CoD WW2 Nazi Zombies, Olivia is played by Elodie Yung.
- Jefferson Potts - An educated man with a military background. Jefferson is said to be strong and assured. In CoD WW2 Nazi Zombies, Jefferson is played by Ving Rhames.
“With Nazi Zombies, we’re creating a frightening world full of terrifying characters and events that will make you jump and look over your shoulder. There’s an incredible amount of myth and lore, which our team has poured through in our development,” said Glen Schofield, Studio Head and Co-Founder of Sledgehammer Games. “This is unlike anything before, we’re taking players to some very dark, grim places in Nazi Zombies. This is one hell of a horror experience.”
Michael Condrey, Studio Head and Co-Founder of Sledgehammer Games added, “We couldn’t be more excited to showcase our reveal of Nazi Zombies here at San Diego Comic Con. It’s been great to return to creating a horror-based experience, and with Call of Duty, head back to the Nazi Zombies roots. The team at the studio is proud of the opportunity to deliver something special for the fans.”
If you’d rather just watch the first trailer for Call of Duty WW2 you can see that below. It’s classic cinematic stuff, so don’t expect to see a gameplay demonstration, but it sure looks pretty.
In Call of Duty: WW2 players will land in Normandy on D-Day and then battle through Europe. The story will tell the tale of an “unbreakable brotherhood of common men fighting to preserve freedom” in 1944 and 1945.
Call of Duty: WW2 follows 1st Infantry Division, known as the "Bloody 1st". It has been revealed that you’ll predominantly play as Private Ronald ‘Red’ Daniels. Other characters include best friend Robert Zussman (played by Jonathan Tucker), Technical Sergeant William Pierson (played by Transformers star Josh Duhamel), and 1st Lieutenant Joseph Turner (played by Jeffrey Pierce).
There has been plenty of talk among the Call of Duty community and casual fanbase about how the game is seemingly retreading old ground, especially with the missions once again focusing on Europe. The key point is that this will be the first time we’ve seen WW2 given the modern video game treatment. Although other games have made WW2 their focus, the last truly memorable WW2 FPS was Call of Duty 2, and tech has come on in leaps and bounds since then. It’s fair to say that CoD WW2 will blow away the competition from a pure spectacle standpoint.
Multiplayer is what will determine all of Duty WW2's long term success. Without the technology seen in Infinite Warfare and Black Ops 3, CoD WW2's multiplayer should feel like a return to more basic player movement. It's unlikely we'll see Titanfall inspired wall running, with the devs using the term “boots on the ground” to emphasise this..
CoD WW2 Multiplayer has been referred to as “grounded”, with maps being based on many of WW2’s most iconic locations. In what is being dubbed War Mode, players will be able to compete across numerous iconic WW2 battles.
The trailer just below was shown at Sony's E3 2017 presentation, depicting the dramatically different settings that players would be fighting in across Europe.
Call of Duty: WW2 Multiplayer Weapons and Details
The trailer below was the first proper multiplayer footage for Call of Duty WW2. We've detailed the noteworthy points below the video.
- There's a variety of weaponry used in the trailer, including shotguns, pistols, flamethrowers, mounted turrets, dynamite, and bayonets.
- We can see a battle taking place on a ship, with a plane executing a strafing attack, so could both naval and air battles be a part of CoD WW2?
- The fighting is said to take place across Europe, featuring locations like France, Italy, Germany, and Russia.
- Gas could play a big role in multiplayer battles, as we see several soldiers wearing gas masks early on in the trailer.
- There are a few different tanks seen in the multiplayer footage, including one which has a mountable machine gun turret.
Call of Duty: WW2 Headquarters Mode Detailed
Sledgehammer has finally revealed new details about the Headquarters social space for Call of Duty WW2, stating that up to 48 players will gather together to challenge each other in new ways.
These new ways include a virtual firing range and a one vs one fight. On top of this, your achievements will be celebrated in Headquarters, such as how the player can go to a cliff above Headquarters, and Prestige in front of the entire community.
Eurogamer recently sat down with Sledgehammer co-founder Michael Condrey to talk in detail about the Headquarters mode, during which the developer revealed that it took inspiration from Warcraft’s Orgrimmar.
Headquarters will be set on Normandy Beach, three days after D-Day and just as the Allies have established a fully operational base there. You can pick up new mission challenges, all of which will refresh daily, not unlike Destiny’s way of churning out new content for players. These mission quests might even send you into the Zombies mode, or into the 1v1 mode in order to create an Emblem.
There’s a leaderboard for everything in Headquarters, including Zombies, 1v1, and the firing range there. You can also drive up your ‘social score’ by commending other players for their actions in Headquarters, and through this you’ll improve your reputation as an outstanding member of the Call of Duty community.
Call of Duty: WW2 Division Multiplayer Classes Revealed
There are five Division classes that have been revealed for Call of Duty: WW2 multiplayer by Sledgehammer Games, all of which have a certain role to play on the battlefield. The Infantryman Division is an all-rounder, able to equip rifles to pin down enemies from a distance, while the Armored Division is more suited to destroying tanks and other vehicles, equipped with light machine guns and rocket launchers.
We have a complete breakdown of every Division class, as well as all perks and other skills available for every class, over on our Call of Duty: WW2 Divisions guide page.
Call of Duty: WW2 New and Returning Features
Sledgehammer Games' Michael Condrey has recently been confirming a number of new and returning additions to Call of Duty WW2, as well as a number of features that wouldn't be present in the upcoming game. Chief among these might be the removal of the Steady Aim perk, which allowed players to aim accurately when firing weapons from the hip, arguably removing any skill needed to play Call of Duty well.
The Emblem Editor will make a return in Call of Duty WW2, although it won't be present in the upcoming beta for the game, as will the PPSH-41, a fan-favorite Russian sub-machine gun that was present in past iterations of Call of Duty. For all other features that are coming to Call of Duty WW2, we'll have to wait and see what the game brings when it launches on November 3 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.