FIFA 18 Ultimate Team is this year’s version of the now gigantic game mode in which players build a squad of virtual football stars and compete against other teams. In this FIFA 18 Ultimate Team guide we’ll give you the lowdown on all the game modes and give you help on how to get the most out of your time. For newcomers, Ultimate Team can seem quite daunting, so read on for all the tips you’ll need to become a FIFA 18 Ultimate Team legend (or Icon).
For more on FIFA 18 that isn’t Ultimate Team, head over to our FIFA 18 guide hub. It’s got loads of useful guides, including how to score lots of goals and who are the best young players to buy.
FIFA 18 Ultimate Team Guide
- How to Quickly Earn FIFA Coins in FIFA 18 Ultimate Team
- FIFA 18 Ultimate Team Chemistry Explained - How to get Great Chemistry
- FIFA 18 Ultimate Team Chemistry Styles Explained
The basic idea of FIFA 18 Ultimate Team is to build up a team by collecting player cards. These cards can be won by completing tasks or challenges, or bought from the online transfer market. With a team assembled you can compete online, take part in challenges, or play a series of offline events in order to earn more FIFA Coins. Like we said, this is the basic idea of Ultimate Team. Once you delve deeper into it, there’s a lot more to discover and learn.
What can you Buy in FIFA 18 Ultimate Team?
FIFA 18 Ultimate Team is about building the best squad of players possible, but far more than players can be bought. You can buy manager cards, stadium cards, and consumable cards. Consumables are a big part of your day to day management of your FIFA 18 Ultimate Team. Players can lose fitness, so you can apply fitness cards, they can run out of contract so require a contract extension card, or can be trained up using a training cards. All of these things can either be earned through achievements in the game or bought on the marketplace.
FIFA Coins and FIFA Points in FIFA 18 Ultimate Team
There are two currencies in FIFA 18 Ultimate Team: FIFA Coins and FIFA Points. When you see an item for sale, whether it be a player or a consumable card. Coins are earned by playing FIFA 18 Ultimate Team and taking part in the various challenges and events, while FIFA Points are bought from your console/system’s store.
For example, a Gold Pack from the store will cost you 5,000 FIFA Coins or 100 FIFA Points. Check out our guide to earning FIFA Coins in FIFA 18 Ultiamte Team for more info.
FIFA 18 Ultimate Team Chemistry
We’ll go into far more detail on chemistry in FIFA 18 with a full guide, but the idea is this: your team will play better if players are alongside players of the same nationality, league, or club. These, along with other factors such as position played, the manager, and games for the club, all go into determining the player chemistry and team chemistry. The better these things are, the better your players will perform.
FIFA 18 Ultimate Team Tips and Tricks
- Ultimate Team is pretty complicated, so make sure you play through the challenges built into the game. These will earn you rewards and FIFA coins while you learn how things work.
- Players have contracts, meaning they have a limited amount of games they can play for you. Loan players can’t have their contracts extended. Be careful about who you play in you team so you don’t use up valuable contract games when you don’t need to.
- While playing FIFA 18 Ultimate Team is fun, earning enough coins to buy the players you want can be a real grind. If you find yourself losing interest and don’t mind spending real world money, buying FIFA Point to buy packs is a nice shortcut. It might feel dirty at first, but if it means you get more fun from the game and can afford it, go for it!
- Think about chemistry from the start. While it's tempting to jump in and buy players you like, you'll end up with a team with low chemistry that can't enter certain events.
- Chemistry is calculated when you submit your team and enter a match, so you can move players around without it affecting your chemistry. If you have a winger who'd you'd rather play as a ST, just tinker with your formation when the match starts.
- An injured player will only recover if you keep them in the main squad. Either use a fitness card to heal a player or keep them in the reserves so they will recover over time.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.