20 PS1 Games We Want to Play on PlayStation Now

Sony's upcoming PS Now streaming gaming service will feature PS3, PS2 and PS1 games. With that in mind, we thought we'd list some of our favorite PS1 games that we think would be great additions its library.

Article by USgamer Team, .

Jump to: Page 1 Page 2

Sony's announcement of its upcoming PlayStation Now service certainly got us excited. Not so much about being able to stream PlayStation 3 games, which is useful, but not exactly thrilling to the many of us who still have our PS3's tucked under our TV sets. But more about being able to go back and experience some of our favorite PSX games of yore.

With that in mind, Team USG has pooled its collective wisdom and come up with 20 PSOne games that we'd love to see incorporated into the PS Now library. Which ones would you chose?

Parappa the Rapper Jaz Rignall

Surely this is a no-brainer for PS Now - because if it isn't, Sony's the no-brainer. I mean, who doesn't want the chance to revisit one of the all-time PSX greats?

From its weird and wonderful characters and the bright and colorful world in which they live to its incomprehensibly bizarre plot and out-of-leftfield-bonkers tunes, Parappa the Rapper is utterly fantastic.

Yeah, its gameplay is tap-along-to-the-beat simple, but it's much more than that. This is a game that makes you laugh and smile. And if it doesn't, you should probably be shuffling along moaning, "brraaaaaiiiiiiiiins."

Tomba Jeremy Parish

Listen, guys. Tomba is the best. It's the story of a feral child who runs around biting pigs in order to save the world through a free-roaming "metroidvania"-style setup filled with interlinked quests presented almost like game show minigames.

It was weird and kind of ahead of its time (its open, overlapping quests are closer in style to current RPGs than to a '90s platformer), and it's a load of fun. Sadly, I never did beat the original game. Maybe PlayStation Now could change that.

Ape Escape Bob Mackey

Despite a great number of sequels, spin-offs, and Metal Gear Solid cameos, the Ape Escape series never took off in the way that Sony hoped. That's a shame, because the core trilogy holds up incredibly well, with 1999's Ape Escape being one of the more innovative platformers of the PlayStation era.

Overall, it's a much more ambitious take on the genre when compared to your Crash Bandicoots and Spyro the Dragons, and it uses the full potential of both analog sticks (what with the DualShock being optional at the time) for the protagonist's collection of ape-snatching gadgets. Simply put, Ape Escape shouldn't be forgotten—even if those little guys are technically monkeys.

Umihara Kawase Shun 2nd Edition Jeremy Parish

We finally got cult import platformer Umihara Kawase in the U.S. in the form of Sayonara Umihara Kawase for 3DS. That's cool, but personally I think the PlayStation game was better. Unfortunately, it's import-only, and it sells for about 200 bucks.

Well, PlayStation Now has the potential to break down some of those walls by offering a curated selection of import picks, and I'd definitely want Umihara Kawase Shun 2nd Edition (probably the single best title in the entire series) to be one of those first ambassadors. It's fun, it's unique, and its language barrier is about as low as you could possibly hope (the entire game is practically wordless). Make it so, Sony.

Final Fantasy Tactics Mike Williams

I've written about FF Tactics before, but let me just state this again: Final Fantasy Tactics is an amazing tactical strategy RPG, the likes of which has yet to be surpassed by Square Enix. Tactics Advance and Tactics A2 were okay, but they were no Tactics. Others have raided the hill to take the throne, but for me, no one has succeeded yet.

Like Alpha 3, Tactics is available on the PlayStation Store, but it needs to be available to players on Sony's subscription service. Until it is, I shall continue to be the game's prophet, preaching of its greatness until the time that its holiness gets a proper sequel.

Einhänder Jeremy Parish

Like SaGa Frontier, this is another one of those no-brainer Square Enix classics that you can buy on the Japanese PSN but not in the U.S. In the case of the former, its absence here probably has to do with the fact that American gamers vomit in bewilderment when confronted with a SaGa.

Einhänder, on the other hand, is a completely phenomenal shooter that no sane person dislikes. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd wager that licensing issues around its utterly glorious soundtrack are responsible for its failure to drift overseas. But man, whatever. People need to know the glory of this game one way or another; I don't really care how it gets over here again just so long as it does.

Resident Evil 2 Bob Mackey

I appreciated the original Resident Evil from afar, but Resident Evil 2 marks the first time the series really clicked with me. It still features those dated tank controls, but thanks to the guidance of Platinum's Hideki Kamiya, Resident Evil 2 feels much more refined and far less clunky than its predecessor.

If you're looking to jump into a classic survival horror game, Resident Evil 2 makes for one of the most accessible choices, and the DualShock version even features an easy mode to help spoiled modern gamers (me included) deal with the demands of 1998 gaming.

Colony Wars Jaz Rignall

Space combat seems to be the perfect material for a video game, yet we don't see them very often. Maybe it's too difficult for some players to get their head around the concept of flying something where there's no up and down?

Maybe it's too hard for designers to make combat compelling in a friction-free environment? Either way, it's been a long time since I've played this classic - and I'd love to give it a go just to see whether it's as much fun as I remember - or whether it's aged really badly.

Suikoden II Jeremy Parish

Ah, poor Suikoden II. Overshadowed by Final Fantasy VIII at launch, derided for its dated visuals, undersold and underproduced, it wallowed in obscurity for a while before becoming possibly the single most expensive U.S.-released PlayStation title ever. Yet while its decent predecessor made it to PSN, this utter masterpiece never did.

Why not? Well, again, poor Suikoden II. Konami didn't really bother to invest much in the way of quality control into the U.S. release of the game, so it's riddled with bugs, errors, and even entire chunks of untranslated text. Apparently it can't pass the quality control standard for PSN.

But if Sony's truly serious about making PlayStation Now a source for streaming ALL PlayStation games, they're gonna have to suck it up and let this one through. Really, who cares about a few glitches? A game this good can withstand them, no problem.

Bust-A-Groove Mike Williams

I've always been a fan of music games. I've spent hours with Dance Dance Revolution, Pump It Up, Frequency, Amplitude, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Elite Beat Agents, and Parappa The Rapper. (Rock Band and Guitar Hero were never quite my thing.) If I had to bring back one forgotten musical favorite with PlayStation Now, it would probably by Bust-A-Groove.

Bust-A-Groove (Bust-A-Move in Japan) was someone in-between a dance game and a fighting game. Players had to perform motions in time with the music, motions that would get more complex as you moved deeper into your combo. Doing the motions right would have your chosen avatar performing some sweet dance moves. You could even attack your opponent to throw them off their game!

Bust-A-Groove is its original Japanese incarnation was the first real music game I ever played, as I was late to the game with Parappa. I won't date myself with a specific place and time, but I remember playing Bust-A-Groove into the wee hours with my friends all sitting around a couch. It was a great time. Is Bust-A-Groove the best music game? Probably not, but I can't discount the strong pull of nostalgia in this case.

Jump to: Page 1 Page 2

• Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #1 Funny_Colour_Blue 3 years ago
    Here's an interesting question:

What about games that supported the iLink Cable like Bushido Blade and Cart World Series? Will we be able to play those as they were originally intended over Playstation Now?

Probably not, but it'd be an interesting feature to have regardless.

Either way, Playstation Now, really should go beyond what PSone downloadable titles already offer. Otherwise we'll just keep continuing to keep buying and collecting these "old" games.

Team Buddies, Rakugaki Show Time and Crash Team Racing would be great multiplayer titles to play over Playstation Now if it does indeed support multiple players online.Edited January 2014 by Funny_Colour_Blue
    @cassandra : I *love* FF9. (but come on, those menus ...)
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #3 brionfoulke91 3 years ago
    Great choices! I would also like to add Jumping Flash. Great early 3D game which made use of it's 3D in an interesting way. You don't really see stuff like that anymore.
    Ah, Rival Schools (United by Fate). As a fan of fighters, I'd love for every obscure fighting game to get resurrected. Evil Zone, Dynasty Warriors 1, Fighter's Impact/VS., Star Gladiator, etc. But for Rival Schools, I'd prefer a remaster rather than just straight emulation.

I mean, I kinda hate how Capcom ignored all their 3D fighters when they went remaster-crazy earlier this gen. Okay; I get Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. I can even go with SF3: 3rd Strike Online, since that game was overlooked significantly when it originally released. But Marvel VS. Capcom Origins? Darkstalkers? JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE? JOJO'S!?! Screw you Capcom.

Have you been deaf to people calling for Power Stone? Did you not notice how quickly your VERY SIMILAR (they all run on the same arcade board) 2D fighters can oversaturate your market? Apparently not, because you burned 'em all out again. Just like in the late 90's. Congratulations.

So I want to see a nicer treatment thrown at titles like Rival Schools/Project Justice. Even if it calls for contracting someone to remake assets, update code, add in an online mode, etc. Spend some money; make Arika, Iron Galaxy or Kung Fu Factory do it.

Oh, and the PSOne version of Ico? If we can play that game, than I want to see the PSOne version of Onimusha then ;)
    Personally, I'd love to be able to play all these old rhythm games. However, I also am realistic: it's impossible to play these games with the lag created by playing them on an HDTV, and that's only 20 milliseconds or so. Factoring in the time it will take for the button press to register halfway across the country, and PaRappa won't be playable in the least.
    Cool Boarders 2!
    I'm more interested in having series of games on the service. Not that I'm saying I'll have time for them, but it's fun to finally get a chance to see how certain games connect either narratively or structurally.

I take part of that back. If FFtactics, Vagrant Story, and FFXII all showed up at once, I might take a leave of absence from workEdited January 2014 by kidgorilla
    better off just emulating them, streaming games is not good for input latency, its not possible to eliminate it no matter how fast the connection is. OnLive and Gaikai were only good for trying out games but you cant actually play them properly with the lag between your controller and what goes on on screen. Expect lots of console gamers to be raging once they start to realise its not possible to play properly unless its something like an RTS which dont need responsive controlls
    What a fantastic list. I really wish that I hadn't read it at work. Now all I want to do is fake sudden illness, go home, and play some Einhander, Ehrgeiz dungeon mode & Silhouette Mirage.

Hey Pete, have you ever played Crimson Tears on the PS2? It's from the same people who made Ehrgeiz. It's essentially dungeon mode fleshed out into a full game, with slick cel-shaded graphics. Not a perfect game, but its' a real treat for oldschool Ehrgeiz fans.
  • Avatar for presidentcamacho #10 presidentcamacho 3 years ago
    I've been jonesing for the opportunity to play Einhander again for over a decade now.

If Playstation Now lives up to half of its potential, it will be an absolute must buy for me. PS1 ans PS2 alone have an absurdly good catalog to pull from.
    PaRappa The Rapper would certainly do a good job of exposing any latency issues you may or may not have with your connection to PSNow. As would Alpha 3, Rival Schools and Bust a Groove.
    Add the original X-Com to that list. Dat music.
    Good list team.
    That's a pretty good list. The only games I can think to add onto it is Klona and Valkyrie Profile. I know the former is on the regular PSN, but I'm guessing that doesn't guarantee PS Now status. Valkyrie Profile has been one I've always wanted to try, but the original version is a bit pricey and I never got the PSP port.
    I guess I shouldn't mention that I got Suikoden II (and I) off Freecycle from someone in my town. I owned the first game years ago but had no idea the 2nd game was so rare. Imagine my surprise getting home and discovering that!

And yes, Einhander is a must. It boggles my mind why we haven't seen it on the US PSN store.Edited January 2014 by jjmahoney3
    I would be happy with SaGa Frontier, SaGa Frontier 2, Front Mission 3 and Xenogears.

While I wouldn't mind there inclusion, I think I have played enough Suikoden I and II to last me the rest of my life.
    Ridge Racer Type 4!
    Am I the only one who wants Legend of Dragoon? Did this game suck so much and I'm the only one who liked it? That and Legend of Legia? *Sit's in corner alone.*
    Man, how much I would love to play Rival Schools and Megaman X4 (and X5 and X6 for that matter). And FFIX was my favorite of the three released for the PSOne, I can’t stop thinking the series went downhill afterwards.

But I’m also realistic: With the issues of input latency, FFIX might probably be the only one of those games that would play decently. It would be nice for nostalgia purposes in any case.
  • Avatar for cassandrakhaw #20 cassandrakhaw 3 years ago
    @ob1 T____________T Bad memories. BAD MEMORIES.
    How could Jeremy not nominate ANY of the Megaman Legends games? Or are they already available?
    Glad Tomba, Jumping Flash, and Einhander made the cut, but here're a few more:

Mega Man Legends 1 and 2
    Misadventures of Tron Bonne
    Adventures of Lomax
    Tail Concerto
    Pac-Man World
    Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness
    Strider 2
    G-Darius
    Dragon Valor
    Threads of Fate
    And the Japanese-only Harmful Park

Shoot, and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting...
    I am not convinced PSNow is going to work well
    I'd love to see Brave Fencer Musashi. Seriously. It is a weird, but fun game.
  • Avatar for jameswalker33 #25 jameswalker33 2 years ago
    I'm surprised to see Tekken 3 not on the list. Here are some games I've would have added to the top 20.

Tekken 3
    Gran Turismo
    Mega Man X4
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Jet Moto 2
    Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
    Twisted Metal series
  • Avatar for jimmybadder72 #26 jimmybadder72 2 years ago
    Missing from the list:

TOBAL 2 - Probably the BEST 3D fighter on PS1! SO much in this game and the graphics are some of the best ever on the PS1. Sure it's an import only title but it's a fighter!

Sidewinder 2 - aka Bogey Dead 6 Part 2... This has a full English setting so no reason not to have it!

Soukyugurentai - Another shooter that is BETTER than that Einheinder... One of the best!

Motortoon Grand Prix - Sony was stoooopid for not continuing this awesome series. Two were released in Japan and one in the US. Part two was the one released in the US. This could have been Sony's Mario Kart killer! Still a blast today even with the dated graphics.
  • Tomba and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver are on the Playstation Store. I own Tomba. Just wanted to let everyone know.
  • Avatar for harrysantiago51 #28 harrysantiago51 2 years ago
    @bigdsweetz

Not at all, those two you mention would be enough for me to get onboard, I absolutely love those 2 games and I'm disappointed that there was no sequel to Legend of Dragoon & that Legend of Legaia only had one sequel.

I thought I was the only person that enjoyed them but I'm glad to know I am not.
    Mega Man Legends 1and 2 should definitively be on that list. One of the earliest best free world RPGs of all time.
    I am GLAD that somebody recognized I.Cube.
    Armored core 2 and Vandal Hearts should have been on this list though :P
  • Avatar for joseolivera26 #31 joseolivera26 2 years ago
    I would love to see Xenogears which is my all time favorite RPG. While I loved the entire Xenosaga series, Xenogears came before it. Granted there were some tough parts that almost made me give up at the beginning but beating the game and seeing the awesome thought provoking cinema ending was worth all the struggle.
    What about Sony's own under-appreciated RPG series, Wild Arms? Part RPG, part puzzle game (sort of like a console version of Golden Sun), the first two were stellar games for the PS1.
    @ZenRain You don't need an earlier model PS3 for PS1 compatibility. It was only PS2 compatibility that was dropped. In fact, the PS4 is the first system in the line that doesn't play PS1 games.
    Point Blank 1-3

On that note, can we get a mini-feature on Namco's Guncon?
    Streaming PS1 games seems like a waste of bandwidth. They are better off writing emulators for the PS4 and Sony TVs.
    WipEout 2097 had a better handling controll then Wip3out. Easyer to grind the curves. I have finnished all Wipeout games exept from Pulse on psp and 2047 on vita. The zone Laps just too difficult for elite pass. I did finnish Wip3out 100% and What makes This game special from other wipeout games was that you can use the shield Energy as turboboost to Get Even better lap times. That was insane!!! I still have my memory card with all my records and i would not sell it for a million dollars :)Edited July 2014 by WipEout
    Abe's Oddworld is missing from the list. I heard some rumors its coming back on ps3 and ps4. I remember i had to Buy a Xbox just because Munch Oddesy the 3rd game in the series did not come Out on ps2. I mean wtfn? :)
    Aw man Einhander! That's one game I've been meaning to add to my collection. I still regret selling that.
    This list is a great start. It would be great to have a playable Jumping Flash, Colony Wars, and Suikoden 2 on my newer PlayStation systems. I'd add Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 and Xenogears to that list as well. If only I had time to play them all.

Also, no love for Namco's Treasures of the Deep? Nobody appreciates underwater games anymore.

• Avatar for nixcadavre12 #40 nixcadavre12 2 years ago
    I do wish someone would make a list of great games for people who don't like anime, manga, or JRPGs.
    Deleted October 2014 by LaundroMat
    Parappa would be AWFUL on PS Now, as would pretty much any timing based game. There's already a version you can download on the PSP/PSVita as well. Tomba, Final Fantasy Tactics, Resident Evil 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and Jumping Flash, can already be played on PS3, PSP, and Vita.

Suikoden 2 and Saga Frontier, I would enjoy having both of those on PSN.
  • Heart Of Darkness was such a beautiful game, in my opinion. Incredible story and amazingly smooth graphics!
  • best Playstation 1 games apocalypse intense Bruce fighting Space ships guards alot of weapons Levels fun. Die Hard Trilogy fast taxi driver game driving for bombs and Arcade style nakatomi Plaza and shooter blaster very addictive. same goes for die hard trilogy 2. Crash Bandicoot 1 2 3 . i never liked shyphon filter i did go around in circles in jungle some Level but Nice serie of game hard on submarine circling around for bombs level psp. Metal gear solid was cool fast. Arcade party pack Very Nice game smash tv. C-12 Resistance cool game alot Levels. B-move Fast ufo gameit took some days to get used to it. gta 2 still awsome today its upside down. my system failed and scratched all cd after fighting for big tv. carmageddon is good alternative the Windows Version does not like keyboard alot and cant use the mouse in menu half screen it have some courses i played for hours on Windows i gave it up off fun. i recommend Ridge racer for drifting that game is very fast. there are quake 2 for playstation 1 Granturisimo was game where you dream about cr instead og to School what car Upgrades to buy. rayman was Nice to had diffrent Magic and Hercules was cool 7. medievel was fun first time cool. G-police was gigantic insect robot bug jumping from buildings in city. tekken had alot combo attacks and modifiers back on the Controller alot tricks fifa did make sence having feeling win on Soccer got to bar buy beer for free never tried it never needed it. abe exodus Nice game long jurney where you had to use Magic to take the mordors and free the slaves teleport them. Time Commander fro adele software you begin in stone age and go trough history maybe best looking game ever made for the hardware awsome gameplay
    my recommandations
    1 Die Hard Trilogy 1/2 1 best driving 2
    2 Carsh Bandicoot cool
    3 Apocalypse Coolest shooter
    4 C-12 long story Nice shooter
    5 B move spaceship

6 Ridgeracer cool Music fast cars and insane curves
    7 Carmageddon zombie splatterEdited 12 times. Last edited May 2015 by mariusottesenhøllesl
    these are games YOU WANT not games WE WANT

GET IT RIGHT
  • Absolutely shocked that not one single person had brought up 'Duke Nukem: Time To Kill.' Man that game is incredible an so overlooked, loved this game in my childhood days, just started playing it again now. This is a complete game, all you need in a game. I agree with the tekken 3 shout aswell, years ahead of their times these two games.
  • Avatar for Marcos-Freitas #47 Marcos-Freitas A year ago
    Playstation Now, really should go beyond what PSone downloadable titles already offer. Otherwise we'll just keep continuing to keep buying and collecting these "old" games. it's impossible to play these ps4 with the lag created by playing them on an HDTV, and that's only 20 milliseconds or so. Factoring in the time it will take for the button press to register halfway across the country, and PaRappa won't be playable in the least.

Comments