Even if you’re not fond of cooking in real life it will pay to learn the basics of cooking in Breath of the Wild. By combining items you can create meals that give Link buffs to health, stamina, defence and more. It's one of the game's key systems that will reward you time and time again. In this Breath of the Wild Recipes guide, we'll tell you how to cook and what ingredients you need to make the best recipies in the game.
- How to Cook in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Recipies in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Elixirs in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
For a wide selection of helpful articles, take a look at our Quest Guides and Walkthroughs for Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
As a general rule it’s best to cook an item before eating it. This increases the benefit of the item. So, for example, raw meat can be eaten as is to replenish some hearts but cook it to replenish even more. Food items are found growing on things (apples), by killing animals (raw meat from killed boars), and by harvesting crops. To make meals that have large effects on Link, you must combine them into a pot and cook them.
Took cook items together, find a cooking pot then hold all the items you want by selecting them in your inventory (you'll get an option to hold them), then when returning to the game world you'll get a visual indicator to place them in the pot.
When cooking you can be given bonuses (such as extra hearts, stamina or buff duration). Cooking during a Blood Moon will also grant you a bonus.
- Enduring Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat or Bird Meat + Endura Shroom. This will give you a temporary stamina boost.
- Meat and Seafood Fry: Combine Raw Meat + Hyrule Bass + Spicy Peppers. This is the recipe partially found in the Old Man’s diary that earns you the Warm Doublet.
- Hearty Steamed Meat: Combine Raw Meat + Hearty Radish + Hearty Truffle. This will give Link three extra heart containers for a small period of time.
- Spicy Pepper Steak: Combine Meat + Hylian Shroom + Spicy Pepper. This will give Link temporary resistance to the cold.
- Energizing Meat & Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat or Bird Meat + Stamella Shroom. This replenishes a portion of Link’s stamina.
- Honeyed Fruits: Combine Courser Bee Honey + Spicy Pepper
- Spicy Fruit & Mushroom Mix: Combine Spicy Pepper + Hylian Shroom. This enhances cold resistance.
- Hasty Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat or Bird Meat + Hylian Shroom. This gives a temporary boost to movement speed.
- Hasty Meat & Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat + Rushroom. This gives a temporary boost to movement speed.
- Energizing Salt-Grilled Fish: Combine Rock Salt + Fish. This will restore some of Link’s stamina.
- Sneaky Steamed Fish: Combine Hyrule Bass + Blue Nightshade. This gives Link a sneaking ability.
- Sneaky Steamed Meat: Combine Raw Meat + Blue Nightshade. This increases Link’s stealth level.
- Energizing Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat + Hylian Shroom + Stamella Shroom. This will completely replenish Link’s stamina.
- Hearty Steamed Mushrooms: Combine Hearty Radish + Hearty Truffle. This temporarily gives Link four extra heart containers.
- Hearty Meat & Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat or Bird Meat + Hearty Truffle. This gives three temporary heart containers.
- Hearty Fried Wild Greens: Combine Hearty Radish + Hyrule Herb + Mushrooms + Steamed Meat. This will temporarily give three extra heart containers.
- Hearty Mushroom Skewer: Combine Raw Meat + Hearty Truffle. This will temporarily give Link four extra heart containers.
- Hearty Wild Greens: Combine Hearty Radish + Hyrule Herb + Mushroom + Raw Meat or Bird Meat. This will temporarily give Link four heart containers.
- Hearty Salt-Grilled Fish: Combine Rock Salt + Fish. Gives two extra hearts for a set amount of time.
- Energizing Glazed Meat: Combine Acorn + Apple + Courser Bee Honey + Hylian Shroom + Raw Bird Drumstick. This will partially restore the stamina wheel.
In the video below you can see some of the best recipies in Breath of the Wild being cooked.
These potions are made by combining food, monster parts and critters. Monster parts are found pretty much whenever a monster is killed, and critters are the smaller insects and the like you’ll find buzzing around.
- Spicy Elixir: Combine Sizzlewing Butterfly + Bokoblin Fang. This gives an enhancement to cold resistance.
- Energizing Elixir: Combine Bokoblin Horn + Restless Cricket. This elixir will completely restore the stamina wheel.
- Hasty Elixir: Combine Hightail Lizard + Monster Parts. This provides a movement speed increase.
- Sneaky Elixir: Combine Keese Eyeball + Sunset Firefly. This gives a two-point boost to stealth.
If you’re still early on in Breath of the Wild it’s worth cooking some Spicy Meat and Seafood Fry for the Old Man so you can get the Warm Doublet. You might also want to tame your own horse and unlock the camera. It's worth finding out how to kill Guardians and figuring out how to respec Link's health and stamina.
That’s how cooking works in Breath of the Wild. We’ll add more recipes to the list as we find them, but feel free to experiment. Remember to cook food where possible to enhance its healing properties (you can do this over any fire if you’re desperate). The lovely video below shows how cooking works at the most basic level. Remember to hold the items you want to cook in your inventory, then place them in the pot. We came unstuck with that when we first tried. It's easy once you know.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.