Axe of the Blood God 108: Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon and an E3 2017 Preview

PODCAST | Kat and Nadia talk about the reveal of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, then they send their wishes for what RPGs they'd like to see at E3 into the sky (probably to get incinerated).

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we're busy, busy, busy. We react to the news about Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (also known as Pokémon Ultra Salt), and theorize about the absence of Pokémon Stars in this week's Pokémon Direct. We also talk about our RPG hopes and dreams for E3 2017, and we read more of your comments and mail!

Though we placed bets that the Pokémon Direct on June 6 would tell-all about the long-rumored Pokémon Stars for the Nintendo Switch (Nadia bet her first-born to a malevolent wood-elf, and now she has to go into hiding from the fairy tale underground), the games we actually saw are for the Nintendo 3DS: Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Will these be quick cash-ins, or A+ sequel material on the level of Pokémon Black 2 and White 2? Kat and Nadia discuss. Also in the show: E3 2017, and the RPGs that are hopefully contained within.

Want to share your thoughts on RPGs? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia get together to discuss what we might expect from Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (5:50). Then they talk about the troubled development of Mass Effect Andromeda as outlined by Kotaku's breakdown (25:45), and go over rumor that localizations for Etrian Odyssey V and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey coming to the 3DS, and that we're getting a Radiant Historia remake (34:12). Finally, we talk about our hopes and dreams for what we'll see out of RPGs at E3 2015 (45:00). And of course: more reader comments!

FF1 did have an impressive bestiary... but it was more impressive as the AD&D Monstrous Manual. As (rightly) maligned as FF2 is, at least it introduced a lot of the iconic original FF monsters. FF1, on the other hand, introduced the Ochu, which is just a mangled version of Otyugh. My favorite AD&D->FF monster conversion is the Bulette, translated in the more recent FF1 remakes as "Baretta" because I guess they didn't use the French pronunciation (boo-lay) in Japan!

And for the record, I love FF1 to death. But it was a ridiculously shameless D&D ripoff.
    I'm really burnt out on turn-based combat so Pokken is a great game for me. The combination of stable online and an incredible amount of online competition made this game all the better for me.
    I definitely have not finished my copy of Pokemon Sun yet, even if I liked what I played. But I am bummed that USMT is more retelling than second quest. Then again, they told us not much about the bonus content, so I hope we can get something like the Gold and Silver addons, but with much better leveling. They never fixed that problem in Heart Gold and Soul Silver.Edited June 2017 by riderkicker
    I wonder, with the Fire Emblem Echoes season pass costing more than the game, would Game Freak be willing to do an expansion pack in a similar manner, exploring a 3D rendered Unova?
    The talk about Shin Megami Tensei made me wonder what Atlus is doing with Persona 5. In Persona games you don't fight Personae but various stylized monsters. But in the current game, we are fighting demons like in traditional Shin Megami Tensei games. Did you ask the producers if Persona will become the traditional SMT experience on the consoles, while the first person dungeon crawling of the series will be solely for the handhelds? Although I liked the enemies in P4 and P3, there had to be palette swaps. But in Persona 5, fighting demons must be a thrifty move in terms of programming, as you don't have to make more enemies but draw from a pool.
    I'm really excited to get a Radiant Historia remake for the 3DS, I was always a little sour about missing that game. Kind of gave me a LaPucelle meets Chrono Trigger meets PvZ? , which is like heaven.
    Andddddd here I go, SoulsBorne fanboying again. I've put over 200 hours into DeS, DS1, DS3 and Bloodborne, so this comes from a ultra fan perspective but I got to say that Bloodborne is IMO the second best SoulsBorne game released this far. I base this on atmosphere, boss design and combat in general. Honestly, only nostalgia ranks Dark Souls higher than Bloodborne, in my books!
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #8 SatelliteOfLove 5 months ago
    You don't embrace theme park MMOs, you gorge on them then get disinterested after 3 months. :P
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #9 The-Challenger 5 months ago
    Pokemon Sun/Moon felt sparse compared to Blk2/Wht2.
  • Avatar for blueberryboll #10 blueberryboll 5 months ago
    "Nadia: I think something along the lines of Skyrim Remastered Remastered will be announced"
    "Something along the lines of Skyrim Remastered Remastered" was announced! :O Remastered for VR.

By the way, Dragon Age Inquisition did use Frostbite but I guess that was another Bioware team.Edited June 2017 by blueberryboll

Comments