Axe of the Blood God 109: Nadia and Kat Gab About the RPGs at E3 2017

PODCAST | Contrary to what Kat believed, E3 2017 was rich with RPGs coming out this year. Nadia never doubted, though. Nadia's perfect.

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), Kat and Nadia talk about the wealth of RPG riches E3 2017 dished unto us. A Xenoblade Chronicles 2 release date – for this year! Confirmation of a Pokémon game for the Switch! And so much more!

Kat and Nadia scrape up what's left of their E3-addled brains to give RPG fans some good news: This year's RPG release schedule isn't looking barren after all. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming before the holiday season, which prompts Nadia and Kat to reminisce about Xenoblade in general (this is the Monado's power!!). They also talk about other RPGs that made an appearance, including Anthem, Yakuza 6, Etrian Odyssey V, and tons more.

Want to share your thoughts on RPGs? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia recap all of the big announcements from the past week at E3 including Anthem (3:00), the announcement that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be out this year (9:35), a new Pokemon generation for the Switch (50:00), and more. Plus: Lots of talk about Yakuza and Etrian Odyssey 5!

Nadia IS perfect (for a Canadian).
    I have not gotten through like 10% of Xenoblade Chronicles, mostly because I was using an unsavory method to play it and it made my Wii go weird so I gave up on it. I have got to hunt down the 3DS version, though I regret not buying it ASAP, as I have bought plenty of games at launch. From what I played I appreciated the localization, and it reminded me of the work on Dragon Quest VIII. The battle system was a bit confusing for me as it seemed most of the stuff was automatic. I really liked how quests didn't require me to go back to the poster like in other games. And I laughed my butt off in random encounters since the party ended up sounding like hooligans.
    Kat do you know if the Yakuza 6 and Ultimate karaoke games have the lyrics translated? It was great in 3, but I got bummed when they took it out in 4.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #4 Tetragrammaton 4 months ago
    @riderkicker If you have a Wii U it's on the virtual console. Probably the best way to play it unless you're using some unsavory methods on a computer.

I really dig the Xenoblade battle system, but it took a lot of tinkering and reading online to understand it. Try playing as everyone, and try every new art you get. Not everything is useful but you'll find some of the combos they yield are.

The quests that pay off automatically are the generic quests. They're a bridge to more involved quests in every area.

Chronicles X... man I went back and forth on that game. Opening was strong, exploration was great, but the story seemed all over the place. I ended up liking X a lot when I started treating it as a science fiction anthology with a bunch of different stories happening in the same place, with the same viewpoint character. The main story was pretty much non-existent, but the character stories and the beefier sidequests/chains were shockingly good.

(And FWIW I would count XB1 as one of the best JRPGs ever, right up there with CT!)

Anyway, great show, thanks folks!
    @Tetragrammaton I haven't played the game in like five years, and don't plan on getting a Wii U anytime soon. 3DS version for me it is. What I should really hunt for is the Last Story, though since nobody doesn't talk about that game, I guess Xeno it is!
    @mattcom26 She's the perfect North American!
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #7 Tetragrammaton 4 months ago
    @riderkicker Ah, wasn't sure if you had one or not. Yeah the 3Ds version is fine, and the port actually fixes the Wii version's slowdown issue. But the view really is better on a bigger screen. Either way, hope you have fun!

(Fake edit: I find The Last Story's fascinating. It's kinda rough, and kinda hamhanded, but it takes as much from Vagrant Story as it does Final Fantasy.)
    Actually Kat, the comparison to Avatar for Anthem was spot on. That's how it felt like to me too and I would consider that a compliment. Avatar is NOT a bad movie at all. Sure, you can shoot it down for having a mediocre plot and banal characters, but that's not where the strength of the film was. IIRC, Avatar was praised for its tech and the incredible world Cameron managed to craft. If you watch the movie again, you'll see just how detailed the world of Pandora is: the creatures, the plants, how the physics of Pandora affect the biosphere, it really is all topnotch. It goes a long way towards making Pandora feel like an actual planet that could exist in our galaxy which was the appeal for one of the first 3D films.

It's a really cool film. Very well thought out and beautifully crafted. There aren't many movies that look like it.

Also, it sounded like you were both hungry for Xenoblade 2 news. Treehouse devoted an entire segment to a playable demo they had that you can sink your teeth into. It's like 40 minutes and goes in-depth with the mechanics and the open world. Check it out if you can. The game looks good.
    I was going to jokingly ask "gee, I wonder who wrote the description for this article?" But then it hit me that I could totally see Kat writing "Nadia is perfect."

Either way, yes. Nadia is perfect. :)
    I still think of Destiny as a shooter. Yeah, sure there are RPG elements, in terms of 'classes', customization, skills etc., but mechanically it's clearly a shooter above else, and structurally, it's also shooter, as it mostly funnels you from one shooting gallery to the next, and you spend most of your time ... shooting stuff. Plus, there is little else to DO in the world, or to really interact with the world at all.

By the same token, and based of what they've shown in terms of gameplay, Anthem feels like a progression of the more and more shooter heavy feel of Mass Effect. So yeah, maybe I'm wrong, and there is plenty of roleplaying stuff to do in Anthem, and it won't leave you shooting stuff in the face 90% of it's playtime, but ... right, I don't think so either.

I mean ... how much in terms of 'classes', customization, skills etc. would a Call of Duty game have to offer, before we start referting to as an RPG? That's a scary thought imho =/
    I know they said that it would be out this year but somehow my gut tells me that it is coming out in 2018. Maybe early 2018 like in the spring but I just can't figure it being released this calendar year.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #12 SatelliteOfLove 4 months ago
    The lack of mapping features is what makes other blobbers weaker! People want bad things, wasting developers time!
    I look forward to this show every week. Such a delight.
    Following up on the Earthbound/MOTHER 4 hack, the game is called Unearthed now. And it's being worked on by a Toronto-based Canadian! Maybe Nadia can bring the guy in when the game is finally finished? That would be a nice change of pace.

Comments