Axe of the Blood God 91: Horizon Zero Dawn, and What's Going On with the Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Kat and Nadia jaw about the Final Fantasy VII remake as well as Horizon Zero Dawn, BioWare's new IP, the Switch, and of course, Persona 4 Golden.

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the show notes for previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we talk about the long, long wait for the Final Fantasy VII remake, as well as BioWare's new IP, and Kat's hands-on time with the Nintendo Switch, Horizon Zero Dawn, and the Zelda Escape Room experience.

Kat and Nadia wonder: Will we ever see the Final Fantasy VII remake? Possibly. Possibly in our children's time, or their children's time. For now, there's tons of other RPG topics to gab about. Nadia makes progress in Persona 4 Golden, Kat talks about her time with the Switch, Horizon Zero Dawn, and the Zelda Escape Room experience.

Finally: Which game will Kat take with her on vacation? Persona 3 Portable, or Chrono Trigger? Find out!

Timestamps:

02:00 Nintendo Switch Impressions and Zelda Escape Room

15:18: Persona 4 Golden Report

31:40 Where is Final Fantasy VII Remake?

38:45 BioWare's New IP

45:00 Horizon Zero Dawn

55:58: Chrono Trigger or Persona 3 Portable? The Verdict!

Our RSS feed is here: http://bloodgodpod.libsyn.com/rss. We're also on Soundcloud along with Retronauts.

Show Description

The Final Fantasy VII remake is coming! Someday! Nadia and Kat also talk about Horizon Zero Dawn, the Nintendo Switch, the Zelda Escape Room experience, BioWare's new IP, Persona 4 Golden, and whether Kat should take Persona 3 Portable or Chrono Trigger with her on vacation.

Oh Kat, I love it when you let the hate-orade flow freely.
  • Avatar for sketchlayerjosh #2 sketchlayerjosh 7 months ago
    Ha! Love the salty version of Kat. Ah, coffee and its wonderous effects. Great podcasts, all.

On an only slightly related note, I was interested in trying a Persona game, but Persona 3 put me off with its bleak tone. Everything I've heard of P4, however, sounds like high school hijinks. Does Persona 4 have a slightly more fun vibe? Did I just not get far enough into P3? If any place would have experts, it'd be here.Edited February 2017 by sketchlayerjosh
    @sketchlayerjosh Go with P4. It has a cool mystery and its definitely more upbeat than 3.Edited February 2017 by cldmstrsn
    @sketchlayerjosh Slightly more, but the game is still about bodies dropping in your home town.
    @sketchlayerjosh It is generally a cheerier game, but the plot is still about supernatural murder mystery. P3 has a fair share of highschool hijinks too.
  • Avatar for EdgeTheLucas #7 EdgeTheLucas 7 months ago
    "...Persona 4 comics by gigidigi?"

Ohhhhh man she's hilarious. Haven't read them but I loved her Ace Attorney comics.
    all these RPGs and kat chose to be salty :D
    @EdgeTheLucas I still go back and read her Mother 3 comics once in a while.
    Gah. This must be the 10th time I've hopped in here to defend Destiny (I think I created a USGamer account just to do so). It doesn't burn me to hear you say you don't like Destiny, Kat. Nevertheless you're shining the signal, and so I'm here.

THE GOOD: you called it, playing that game with a good group was key. Shooting feels great, better than any other shooter on PS4 (Overwatch is something else). Before Overwatch it was my go-to pvp shooter. But most most importantly, the RAIDS were exciting. Vault of Glass, I'm sure you're sick of hearing, was thrilling. It was several days of trial and error, rumors, and cheese discovery. By the time we were running it weekly, on multiple characters, we had it down to a science, but it wasn't easy. You had to be skilled at the game. As someone who did some heroic raiding in other MMOs, VoG was the most fun I ever had in a Raid. It wasn't about managing mana bars and CC's, etc., but it was more immersive and tense because the shooting requires reflex, and some players were put in critical roles. Destiny was maybe a bad RPG, but it was a great MMO Shooter. And When I quit around the 2nd xpac, they daily stuff was getting better variety.

THE BAD: A lot of it was repetitive. The raids were few and far between, and new expansions neutered the old raids. The other instances were boring if you weren't on chat with a friend, or listening to podcasts (and most of my original group stopped playing due to work, school, family, etc.). The whole vanilla landscape and UI was clunky. But Kat, you were really laying into it about being repetitive and shallow. Most games are super repetitive and shallow! They just do a better job of hiding the loops. Bethesda is skilled at hiding the loops, but after a few hours, you start to recognize the handful of dungeons that exist in the game. I'm playing FFXV now, and all but one of the sidequests feels like it would be a waste of time if the combat wasn't kinda fun, and at that point I just started playing combat via the main story. Destiny, I'm saying, was like that, but you're playing with actual people instead of AI bros.

So I can commiserate with you, calling out games for being repetitive and shallow. Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fallout, etc. But don't try to argue that shooting wasn't good in Destiny, and don't use it as the posterchild for generic game design when you didn't play the raids live!

(Bow) (Back to the shadows until Destiny is mentioned again)
    If Nadia actually survived P4 on Autobattle this long, I think she's ready for P3. The Teddy Battle reminds me of one of the battles in the later part of Persona 3.

---
    The Gundam Wing Dub is the best way to enjoy this show. I watched it again recently and I 've definitely grown out of it. The story is indeed awful, and I think every Gundam pilot except Duo and Quatre suffer from some kind of mental deficiency. The ending theme song makes me think Relena is like Lenny.Edited 2 times. Last edited February 2017 by riderkicker
    I have to agree with Kohler - if Nomura can't actually get a product out the door, they need to cut him out of those roles.
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #13 Jeremiah-Jones 7 months ago
    I just enjoyed listening. Though in regards to the Minnesota Wild, you are feeling the beginning of the awesomeness of Bruce Boudreau. I hope you don't have Playoff heartbreak that unfortunately follows that man. He made hilarious commercials in his time in Washington though. I miss him. Trotz is doing well though.
    The raids in Destiny are easily the best things I've done in a game in the last five years. The puzzle solving and shooting mechanics are just awesome and the teamwork and communication needed to beat the encounters felt amazing.

There's plenty of improvements that can be made but it's a good game.

Comments