Axe of the Blood God: The Super NES Classic Appears, Valkyria Revolution Fails

PODCAST | Breaking down Episode Prompt, the Super NES Classic, and the failure of Valkyria Revolution.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we break down the Super NES Classic, Episode Prompto, and more!

Valkyria Revolution is a disappointment in more ways than one. Not only is it quite a shoddy game, it badly hurts the changes of the Valkyria Chronicles series making a meaningful comeback. Sega has repeatedly botched its handling of Valkyria Chronicles since its successful debut in 2007, which is a shame because this series deserves better.

Happily, Nintendo seems to be doing a better job with their own history, as the newly-revealed Super NES Classic looks to have a ton of fantastic games. We break it all down and talk about what we'll be playing first!

Want to share your thoughts on RPGs? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia break down the RPGs of the SNES Classic, talk about the latest batch of Final Fantasy XV's DLC (24:30), and lament the utter failure of Valkyria Revolution (37:40).

Kat, your cat seems to have very strong opinions on Episode Prompto.

EDIT: Despite being a SERIOUS graphical downgrade, Valkyria Chronicles 3 was also really good. It had a very "Dirty Dozen" feel.Edited July 2017 by NateDizzy
    @NateDizzy Hamish is the official cat of the Blood God. All the adorable ferocity of Dex-Starr, none of the acidic blood-vomit (I hope. Kat will have to confirm).
    @nadiaoxford Do you know if Hamish also wears clothing like Dex-Starr? If so, I'd like pics. If not...I'd still like pics.
    Despite the incredibly stupid characters and very average story, Valkyria Chronicles 2 was actually a good surprise for me. The gameplay was fairly different because of the much smaller maps, but retained enough of VC1 to be enjoyable. It would be nice for Sega to remake it (and VC3, which is still in the backlog) in HD, although I don't think it's ever going to happen, considering the amount of work that would be required to make the graphics look palatable on a big screen TV.
    Nadia's thoughts are correct, Symphony is better, for its RPG mechanics are a great homage to the Blood God.
  • Avatar for Jaegermeist3r #6 Jaegermeist3r 4 months ago
    By releasing the SNES Mini, Nintendo will give me another chance to tackle those RPG Classics.
    Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy 6 are still on my bucket list and are waiting to be started and finished. I'm thrilled finally to play the games on my TV ( I don't own a Wii either so there is no legal way to play those games). There is the Steam version of FF6 but the graphics are looking really ugly.
    Furthermore, Nintendo releases after all this years some official SNES-Controllers, which are superior to the 3rd party controllers (although the Buffalo SNES-USB-Controllers are quite ok).
    Playing with original hardware is way more satisfying then playing with rebuilds.

A more general question:
    USGamer will probably get a test unit of the SNES Mini, so how do you decide on who will review hardware in general ?
    Now that it has been a month since I finished Final Fantasy XV, I have to say the ending reminded me of Persona 3's ending as both main characters leave their mortal coil and enter the darkness known as eternal rest. Yeah it was pretty clear what would happen once they achieved their goals, but it did little to make me not tear up despite whether or not their respective stories were a mess. Doesn't matter too much since those games are dependent on some form of nostalgia, as you are to replay the events over and over to get the full experience.

Nadia is right, Symphony is the best Castlevania. But I prefer the Aria of Sorrow.

I've got to get back to playing Valkyria Chronicles, considering I bought the Dern game twice.
    @Jaegermeist3r Mike reviews hardware unless I pull rank. (I'm totally pulling rank, sorry Mike)
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #9 SatelliteOfLove 4 months ago
    Sega just simply don't have the TEAMS to do anything but Yakuza and Sonic any more. The rest, if they're still there, are here, there, and everywhere in Sega now.
    You guys are gonna hate this, but I just sold my NES Classic and built a Retropie box. The 8bitdo SNES controller is really nice. If NES Classic wasn't worth so much on ebay, I would've kept it though.

I have a SNES Classic pre-ordered, but the ability to put whichever translation I choose on games such as FFIII on Retropie is really nice.Edited July 2017 by daverhodus

Comments