Axe of the Blood God: We Love Project Octopath Traveler

PODCAST | We talk about all the news from the Nintendo Direct, share our thoughts on Project Octopath Traveler, and reminisce about the days of the Apple II.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we share our love for a sneaky good little Switch RPG due next year: Project Octopath Traveler!

A bunch of observers have been sharing their love for Project Octopath Traveler, and we agree! We think it looks great! Nadia and I share our love for its graphics, break down its battle system, and talk about how it looks on the TV vs. the Switch. We also delve into everything else from this week's Nintendo Direct!

Also in this episode, David Craddock returns to talk about this new book: Break Out: How the Apple II Launched the PC Gaming Revolution. Join us as we dive into the early history of PC RPGs and talk about how their roots extended into the rest of the genre!

Want to share your thoughts on RPGs? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show! Keep those Perfect RPG Teams coming, folks!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia go LIVE with their thoughts on all the info from this week's Nintendo Direct, include Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and The Alliance Alive. They also share their impressions on Project Octopath Traveler! Spoiler: They like it! In the second segment, David Craddock returns to share tales from the dawn of the RPG age from his new book about the Apple II (37:36), and Kat and Nadia pick more Perfect RPG Teams!

Haven't listened yet, but I just wanted to chime in that I, too, LOVE Octopath Traveler. I'm torn on whether I should do the rest of the demo or just wait for the full game.
    Darn shame you guys didn't cover the AMAZING RPG NEWS from Japan. Plus it's only a few weeks until Gundam Versus comes out in America. Prepare the #MechaParty Kat!
    Finished the Project Octopath demo and I am hooked. The game play, combat system, and graphics were exactly what I was hoping for. Even the more serious tone of the story was a welcome antidote to the sophomoric themes found in many JRPGs of recent years.

Several classic JRPG franchises could certainly be identified as having influenced development, but SaGa Frontier and Suikoden were two that jumped out at me.

Nintendo just sent the survey requesting thoughts on the demo and I said the best thing they could do for this game is offer more of what we have seen here.
    Oh man, Oglaf is amazing! I have to sneak it in after the kid goes to bed.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #5 Godots17thCup 2 months ago
    Oh man, Octopath Traveler is so good. I mean, I've been interested in it ever since its brief appearance during the Switch presentation , but even knowing about the BD pedigree behind it, I wasn't expecting it to be this darn good.
    I was hooked enough with just the set up for the dancer's plot that after 20 minutes I put down the game and will pre order it when I can.
    I too love the Octopath demo! So much that I've already put 3 hours into just Primrose's path. I've yet to start Olberic's path, but that'll be soon as I think I've just about done everything that I can. I wasn't quite gripped with Bravely Default when I played it, but I loved the art style and Octopath just seems like an evolution of that, as well as what little I remember from the battle systems. Primrose's story and dialogue was also a treat to see, being much less generic than standard fare. The biggest questions for me though is how big is this world and will there be too much repetition when you play different characters as well as how many chapters does each get? If they are all around the same length as Primrose's first chapter, I can see it going for at low as 5, which would be slightly disappointing, to upwards to 10, which would be fantastic. I'm so excited for this game; it may be my most anticipated game of 2018 barring Dragon Quest XI and Dynasty Warriors 9.
    I really liked Legend of Legacy.

It was an intentionally counterintuitive game that subverted the traditional mechanics of RPGs. It should have been a train wreck but it came together in this sort of counter-culture way.

I had a good time but it's certainly not for everyone. Its a more interesting conversation piece than a game.

Anyway. That's a long winded way of saying I'm excited for the alliance alive
    Your comments on the grimness of Monster Hunter game spin-off was funny. That conversation brought the realization that Pokemon is actually a dogfighting sim. You get animals, improve their fighting skills, then fight your animals against other animals that people like you developed. Maybe the programmers should throw in a Michael Vic spoof for a trainer!
    I am also in love with Octopath Traveler. It seems so similar to Saga Frontier 2. It is rather beautiful too. If you kept on with Primrose's path you could get the knight in your party. I did like that if you boosted while defending with the knight he would reduce more damage and protect the whole party. The two characters both seemed rather unique. Hopefully the other 6 are just as unique.

Comments