Axe of the Blood God: Where I Am Setsuna Went Wrong, What Elder Scrolls Online is Getting Right

PODCAST | Nadia, Kat, and Mike get together to talk I Am Setsuna, Monster Hunter XX, and Elder Scrolls Online in the latest episode of the pod.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we discuss Indivisible, Monster Hunter XX, I Am Setsuna, and Elder Scrolls Online. And we read your comments, too!

Tokyo RPG Factory's heart was in the right place when they made I Am Setsuna, but it's all too obvious that they had to make it with zero time and with zero budget. Nadia broke down some of where I Am Setsuna went wrong in a recent article, and what Lost Spheal can learn from its mistakes. We also discuss Elder Scrolls Online, which has made something of a resurgence of late. Join us for a rare dive into the world of MMORPGs!

Want to share your thoughts on RPGs? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia get together to discuss Indivisible's move to the Switch (5:00), the Monster Hunter XX announcement (11:40), and where I Am Setsuna went wrong (23:22). Then Mike Williams returns to discuss Elder Scrolls Online's new Morrowind expansion and MMORPGs in general (37:30). And of course: more reader comments!

Should any disciples stumble upon the Deadfire Archipelago while questing at E3, it would be nice to hear how things are going there. Also, say hi to Eder for me. Blood God be praised.
    Kat, your comments about MMOs remind me of when Ultima Online first came out. As a big Ultima fan, I was super excited about a game that was just an alternate world to inhabit. Turns out that at launch the gameplay mostly consisted of being murdered by more powerful players and having them steal all your stuff.

Which is to say, I always wanted what you want out of MMOs, but I've had it repeatedly beaten into me why we will never have it. People are the worst. Embrace the theme park!
    "Monster Hunter X didn't come out in the West" - technically correct (the best kind of correct!) but it did come out as Monster Hunter Generations.

Topped a NPD chart in its debut month, too.Edited June 2017 by DonaldT
    @jamesdowd15 I liked Star Trek Online
  • Avatar for TerryDonnyJrSr #6 TerryDonnyJrSr 3 months ago
    So I am Setsuna had bland characters, music, battle system and wasn't cozy enough? I like that. I think USGamer should implement coziness as regular grading criteria for the reviews from now on.
    @TerryDonnyJrSr Fallout 4: 0/10 coziness
    I also appreciate fighting games but don't play many because I know I'm always going to lose and won't have much fun doing so

I'd be interested to hear how you (Kat and Nadia & Co) think esports and spectator gaming are changing gaming in general and how they can change specific genres.
    The dreadful music in I Am Setsuna killed it for me. Music is such a big part of RPGs, so whoever thought monotonous solo piano was a good idea for the entire game really needs to find a new career. It was truly awful.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #10 The-Challenger 3 months ago
    I AM Setuna has one of the most bland bestiaries I have ever come across. The original Final Fantasy had a broader and more diverse enemy set, and that game came out a hundred years ago.
    I was almost heartbroken at the fighting game chat in this week's episode. Surely the Blood God requires a snack of King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown sometimes! I was reminded of this little chat on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/talking-about-the-anxiety-of-playing-games-in-public-1795771738

Wow, there's so much of a cold shoulder for "I Am Setsuna"! Square Enix is asking too much to keep charging $40 for this game!Edited 2 times. Last edited June 2017 by riderkicker

Comments