It's Cyber Monday today, and there are some notable deals available on laptop computers. Purchasing a laptop can be a daunting experience, because there are so many different makes and models, each with its own set of specs and features.
Make sure you think about what you actually intend to do with your laptop, and that way you can ensure you're making a purchase that best meets your needs. If you're just surfing the net and generally doing light work like word processing and using it for social media, you don't necessarily need a top-specced laptop. But if you're gaming, or want to do things like edit videos, you definitely need one with a lot more power.
Please note that this article is being updated daily, so remember to check back in often so you don't miss any deals. We've also listed some handy links to laptop manufacturers below, and those are well worth checking out. Each one is having a Cyber Monday sale right now, and has its own unique set of offers and deals.
Today's Cyber Monday Laptop Deals
Here are what we think are the best deals currently available. They are all currently active, so you shouldn't have any problem snapping up any one of these bargains.
- ASUS FX502VM 15.6" Gaming Laptop NVIDIA 1060 3GB, Intel Core i5-6300HQ 16GB DDR4 1TB HDD VR Ready - $999.99 (Amazon US)
- HP Spectre X2 12-a009nr with Windows 10 - $499.99 (Amazon US)
- Acer Aspire E5-575-72L3 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-6500U Dual-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive - $479 (Walmart)
- Acer Aspire ES1-572-31XL 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i3-6100U Dual-Core Processor, 4GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive - $299 (Walmart)
- Lenovo Ideapad 700 15.6" Laptop: i5-6300HQ, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD - $499.99 (eBay)
- (Use code L85RLHNDJW753) Dell Inspiron 13 5000 Laptop: i5-7200U, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, Win 10 - $599.99 (Dell)
- (Use code SAV40THINKPAD) Lenovo ThinkPad 13 Ultrabook: i5 6200U, 13.3", 1080p, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD - $421.85 (Lenovo)
Other Current Laptop Bargains
Not found the right laptop yet? Keep reading - the following deals are all from Black Friday week, and they're still active.
- Dell Inspiron i5765-2764GRY 17.3" FHD Laptop (7th Generation AMD A12-9700P, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD) - $617.17
- Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Updated) (Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB) with Windows 10 Anniversary - $749
- Dell Inspiron i3179-0000BLU 11.6" HD 2-IN-1 Laptop (7th Generation Intel Core m3-7Y30, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD) Bali Blue - $446.43
- Acer Laptop Aspire E 15 E5-575G-52RJ Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 15.6" - $489.99
- ASUS 15.6" FHD F550VX-NH76 Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 8 GB Memory 128 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Gaming Laptop - $669
- Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black - $249.99
- Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black - $349.99
- Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black - $599.99
- HP Pavilion 14-al062, 14", Intel i5-6200U Processor, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB SATA, Windows 10 Notebook - $389.99
- Dell Inspiron 15.6", AMD A8 Processor, 6GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, Windows 10 Black Notebook - $269.99
- HP ENVY 13-ab016nr Notebook (Intel Core i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) with Windows 10 - $699.99
- HP 14 Inch Notebook with 4GB RAM and 32GB Hard Drive - $199.99
- HP Notebook 15.6 inch i5 Processor 8GB RAM 1TB HDD - $459.99
- RCA Galileo Pro 11.5" 32GB Tablet with Keyboard Case Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) - $87.99
- Acer Aspire 15.6 inch laptop with i7 Processor 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD - $479.00
Factory Deals From Laptop Manufacturers
Looking for Cyber Monday deals direct from the manufacturer? Here's where you can find the very best offers right now.
- Dell Cyber Monday Laptop Deals
- HP Cyber Monday Laptop Sale
- Cyberpower PC Cyber Weekend Deals
- iBuyPower Laptop Pre Holiday Sale
- Microsoft Surface Sale
- Microsoft Laptop Sale
Apple vs Microsoft vs Google
For most of us the choice is going to be between three platforms when picking out a new laptop, with Apple's macOS Sierra and Microsoft's Windows 10 the main candidates. Apple, of course, is the only company to make macOS laptops, and your new MacBook will come with Siri and a host of very decent bundled applications like Photos, iTunes, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.
Meanwhile Microsoft's Windows 10 is a big improvement over Windows 8 in almost every way, and has been designed to run on tablets as well as traditional laptops. That means it's touchscreen-ready, and well suited to the 2-in-1 devices we're seeing a lot of (like the Surface Pro). Windows laptops are made by a host of manufacturers, including Microsoft.
Google's Chromebooks are worth considering as a cheaper option. Chrome OS is basically a web browser and nothing else, but for many people that's all they need (think Google Docs, Facebook, Gmail, YouTube). Offline capabilities are improving all the time and there's the added benefit that everything is always instantly backed up to the cloud.
Other Cyber Monday Deals
We'll be posting details of plenty of other deals throughout Cyber Monday from stores and online retailers such as Amazon, Target, GameStop, Best Buy, Sam's Club, Walmart, and Toys R Us. We'll be looking for bargains on items including laptops, TVs, games, Xbox One, PS4, and more. Here's where you'll be able to find them all.
The specs that matter on Cyber Monday
There are really three specs to consider on a laptop: the CPU or processor speed (how fast it can think), the RAM or memory (how much thinking it can do at once) and the available storage space (room for your files). There's the display size too, which is always a compromise between how much you can fit on screen at once and how light and portable your laptop's going to be.
On top of that, look out for the number of input and output ports (Apple's new MacBook just has one USB-C socket), any bundled accessories and the screen resolution (how sharp everything is). If you can, check when the laptop first launched – older models aren't necessarily bad choices, but it's good to have the information to compare devices.
Finding value on Cyber Monday
With new Microsoft hardware (and new Windows 10 updates) expected in the spring of 2017, Cyber Monday is an opportunity to get some laptop hardware at a fantastic price. Apple's MacBook schedule is less clear-cut, but all of its laptops are due a refresh soon.
As we've said there's no reason to avoid laptops that are older or less well-specced (gaming and video editing are the only tasks that really need high-end hardware), but keep longevity in mind: if you can pay a little extra on Cyber Monday then you'll get the benefit in a laptop that doesn't grind to a halt or need upgrading quite as early on.
Of course plenty of retailers will sell you a laptop, and plenty will have Cyber Monday deals on, but if you can it's best to stick to the electronics specialists first and foremost – they're likely to have the widest choice of stock and the most recent hardware.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.