Capcom's Disney Afternoon Collection Brings Back Six NES Classics

Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and more return on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

News by Mike Williams, .

Capcom announced today The Disney Afternoon Collection, a digital collection of the company's classic NES titles. The collection includes DuckTales, DuckTales 2, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2, Darkwing Duck, and TaleSpin. The Disney Afternoon Collection will launch on April 18, 2017 for $19.99.

A brief synopsis for each game in the collection is available:

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 – Bring in a friend for classic co-op Capcom platforming action as one of you plays as Chip, and the other as Dale.

Darkwing Duck – Jump in the shoes of superhero Darkwing Duck and fight crime with lots of charm and wits.

DuckTales and DuckTales 2 – Embark on classic treasure seeking adventures through exotic stages as the pogo master millionaire Scrooge McDuck.

TaleSpin – Take to the skies as rad pilot Baloo in a unique take on the shoot 'em up genre, where you get to change the direction of your plane at any time.

The series seems to be getting the same treatment as the Mega Man Legacy Collection. Full 1080p presentation, retro TV filter options, Boss Rush and Time Attack modes, a rewind feature, and an in-game Museum full of development information and art.

At the moment, there does not seem to be a version of the Collection available on the Nintendo Switch.

• Avatar for christophermcdougall #1 christophermcdougall 3 months ago
    I'm very excited about this. Duck Tales is one of my favorite NES games as a kid and I never got to play the other games including Duck Tales 2. I always wanted to. I also have yet to get Duck Tales Remastered on Steam. Totally intend to. It's been on my Steam wishlist forever.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I'd want on my Switch.
    @Roto13 Exactly what I was thinking. Cmon, Capcom!
    Fantastic. I was just thinking now would be a good time to give DuckTales 2 the Remastered treatment, with the new TV series inbound, but a bundle of the whole set packaged like the Mega Man Legacy Collection is even better.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #5 ShadowTheSecond 3 months ago
    While I generally go back to Ducktales 1 and 2 more often, Darkwing Duck is a solid Mega Man style game. I have a soft spot for the Rescue Rangers games as well.

Despite loving the show as a youth, I never did care much for the Talespin game.
    Other than duck tales that's a pretty incredible collection. Didn't think we would ever see these games again.
    It's unfortunate that these aren't coming to the new Nintendo console considering these are NES games...and I have a Switch and would buy it.
    @Thad Too bad Nintendo or Capcom didn't bother putting the Mega Man Collection on the Wii U! We have yet to hear anything from either company on the Switch, especially if they're only releasing Street Fighter II so far.
    Interesting how the focus are on NES games because your engine is not exactly emulation. Other system, like Genesis games, don't have the Nintendo menace above and were emulated on the PS3 and 360.
    Spin it let's begin it bear 'n grin it when you're in it you can win it in a minute when you spin it spin it spin it!

Cifaldi FTW.
    @Roto13 I would like even a 3DS version!
    @Spectreman Frank Cifaldi has talked at length about how emulation is not the dirty word game publishers seem to think it is, and that the Mega Man Legacy system was just a fancy workaround to claim that it isn't "emulation" in the strictest sense. Nothing wrong with emulating NIntendo systems on other platforms, either - Rare Replay had numerous games that were on the NES emulated just peachy on the Xbox One.
    I am all over this.
    I would buy this on Switch, not anywhere else.
    Owned & dearly loved a Game Boy copy of Ducktales 2, but was disappointed I could never find a reasonably-priced copy of the NES version. C&D: RR2 has always interested me as a co-op game, too. Man, am I fired up.
    Hey Mike, you reach out to Capcom for further comment re: Switch?

Also; just knowing how several projects only recently started Switch development this year, like Lego Worlds, its clear that they either didn't have a dev kit, don't have this engine up on a switch dev kit or dont have the manpower at the moment.

None of that precludes a switch version, but I would just like to see them at least mention it. Hey isn't Jeremy and Bob buddies with Cifaldi? Frank used to work at Digital Eclipse maybe we can get a story out of this...
    @Tebunker Yep. You'll see the statement in another story coming up.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #18 brionfoulke91 3 months ago
    Always good to see attention brought to classic NES games like this.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #19 SatelliteOfLove 3 months ago
    Let's...get...DANGEROUS.
    @Roto13 The Switch doesn't have a D-Pad, so how would you play these games? Requiring people to buy the pro controller doesn't seem like a very realistic option.

Comments