Demon's Souls Servers Shutting Off In February

Soon, fans of the Souls original won't be able to enjoy the online madness.

News by Mike Williams, .

Sony Interactive Entertained Japan announced that it would be shutting off online servers for Demon's Souls, the first title in From Software's Souls franchise. The shut off will be happening on February 28, 2018.

Without servers, Demon's Souls is still playable, but the game will lack online multiplayer in the form of cooperative play and PVP invasions, hint messages from other players, and bloodstains showing the deaths of other players. This marks the end of service since the game launched on PlayStation 3 in February 2009.

It was unclear if the same would happen to North American servers, as the game was published by Atlus on our shores. The official US Dark Souls Twitter account has weighed in, pointing to all servers going away on the same date.

Existing Demon's Souls players are still holding out hope for a PlayStation 4 remake of the title.

Well, all good things...
    The online elements for demon souls aren't memorable or even really matter to playing the game. Won't be able to leave messages and get a trophy in the trophy area oh well boo hoo game ruined.
    Still a fun game without.
  • Avatar for One_Vurfed_Gwrx #3 One_Vurfed_Gwrx 18 days ago
    I need to get back to this game at some point. I suppose this is a reason to make it a sooner rather than a later...
  • Avatar for sketchlayerjosh #4 sketchlayerjosh 18 days ago
    It was fun while it lasted. Here's to hoping for a PC port of the like. Maybe if those enterprising fellas making that PS3 emulator finish up their work, the community can put something together.

The biggest blow this makes is to the Old Monk boss, which, if you're connected online and the stars align properly, has the chance of being "played" by another, actual person. It was a ton of fun and incredibly surprising! Still a fun game, regardless, though.
    I still remember the first time I played this game, which was in October during a "pure black event." It made the game a lot harder than it normally would, and that was the way I played through my first Souls game! Was a great experience!
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #6 Godots17thCup 18 days ago
    After playing through Dark Souls 1 and 2, I picked up Demon's Souls and decided to save it for a rainy day. I guess going to have to make that rainy day happen really soon, because while I'm usually not big into the online multiplayer side of gaming, I genuinely love the cooperative aspect of Souls games.
    A real bummer since a lot of the amazing gameplay mechanics, like World Tendency and Character Tendency, along with the usual Dark Souls mechanics, may be missing or at least not influenced by online players.

World Tendency
    Character Tendency

Demon's Souls is my favorite in the series, and I hope there is a PC remake someday that preserves all that made this game really cool.

Comments