Dragon's Crown Pro Officially Announced for the West in Spring 2018

Vanillaware's 2D hack and slash lives again.

News by Matt Kim, .

Dragon's Crown Pro, and updated version of Vanillaware's dungeon fantasy game first announced at this year's Tokyo Game Show, will find its way westward in Spring 2018.

The remastered version of the 2013 hack and slash is coming to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro for $49.99. The western release will come with all the same features announced back at TGS.

That means updated visuals (4K support on Pro), a newly recorded soundtrack from composer Hitoshi Sakimoto, English and Japanese audio, and all the content from the Storyteller Voice Pack DLC. There's even going to be cross-play and cross-save compatibility with the PS3 and PS Vita versions of the game.

Dragon's Crown Pro is a fantasy game that combines Vanillaware's distinctive art style with the traditional dungeon crawling fantasy element. The game garnered some controversy when it first came out in 2013 due to the depiction of some of its character designs for the female characters.

Was an excellent game, with excellent art. Good to see it getting a re-release.
    I have it on Vita. If it comes to Switch I might pick it up for that, but I don't have a PS4. I never understood the controversy about the character designs, I loved them. They were all intentionally outlandish and fit the art style really well.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #3 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @NiceGuyNeon The problem was that when it was criticized for the obviously hyper sexualized designs, people tried to write it off as 'satire', while not understanding what satire really is.

If anything, it was reproduction. Just more blatantly obvious and expecting it to just be taken as is without any sort of critique.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz I'm not following what you mean by reproduction. Can you explain that to me?
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #5 Iliya-Moroumetz 8 days ago
    @NiceGuyNeon It is what I said. He's copying the prevalent styles around him and yet is surprised and defensive when it gets criticized. Just because it's stylized and exaggerated doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.Edited 2 weeks ago by Iliya-Moroumetz
    @Iliya-Moroumetz You're right, it's not satire. Sometimes people make dumb defenses of this stuff, but that's fair since most of the criticism was also pretty dumb.

It doesn't seem right to call it a "reproduction," though. Kamitani was specifically trying to exaggerate typical fantasy artwork to cartoonish levels. Not to parodize, but simply to make his work stand out. And it certainly worked. I think it looks fabulous, and really only the typical sex negative crowd had a problem with it.
    @Iliya-Moroumetz OK so I disagree with your view of this then. He exaggerated classical designs to make them stand out, and he emphasized the masculine, feminine, and monstrous features of his designs throughout the game calling it reproduction just oversimplifies it in my opinion.

I do agree it's not satire, because he isn't satirizing the fantasy genre in any way, but they do stand out from the pack and I dig it, from the characters to the environments, to the monsters. It's a beautiful game.

Comments