E3 2014: I'm Unreasonably Excited About Mario Maker [Updated]

Is the fun-but-limited Mario Maker demo on the E3 show floor all we can expect of it? We asked producer Takashi Tezuka.

Preview by Jeremy Parish, .

Over the past 24 hours, the games industry has collectively shown off a huge number of never-before-announced games. It's a flood of content that game-starved fans have been clamoring for over the past few years, and finally the companies who control the floodgates have opened them wide.

And yet, the single game I may be most excited to own coming out of this week's press conferences is barely even a game, more like a toy: Mario Maker. While it's kind of a Mario game, it's really more of a tool to let fans create their own Mario levels and swap them back and forth. Heck, it's not even a particularly new or novel toy. Level editors and ROM hacking tools for manipulating Mario games to the point of unrecognizability have existed for years; the original Super Mario Bros. may actually be the most hacked and reassembled game ever made. I'm sure Nintendo's tool set will be far more limited than the ones you can download for free, giving you fewer editing features and imposing more severe restrictions on sharing options.

So be it. I'm OK with that, because Mario Maker has the benefit of being a legitimate, publisher-approved tool for remixing Mario -- a real rarity outside of the world of PC shooters and role-playing games. In fairness, Sony beat Nintendo to the punch here with Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet series, but -- with all due respect to Media Molecule -- the physics and control features in LBP are absolutely awful. I love the idea of editing and creating and sharing platformer challenges with friends, but LBP just isn't fun to play, because it lacks the spot-on physics I prefer in the genre. You know, like the ones in Super Mario Bros.

The last time I was this enthusiastic about built-in editing features was nearly a decade ago with Mega Man: Powered Up for PlayStation Portable. The editing mode in that sadly overlooked and undersold game built its framework around the crisp mechanics of the original 8-bit Mega Man and, while simple, allowed for quite a bit of free expression. I got totally wrapped up in that game's feature, even running a level design contest for fans (much of which resulted in hideously masochistic designs, because video gamers are cruel monsters).

Mario Maker covers much of the same ground -— a console-friendly level editor built on the framework of a time-tested 2D classic -- but in what appears to be a more robust fashion. In fact, Mario Maker looks like nothing so much as a spiritual successor to Mario Paint and WarioWare D.I.Y: a hybrid of sorts. Mario Paint has gone on to become a sort of timeless classic in its own right, with its stripped down musical editor having become a favorite remix tool. There are tens of thousands of Mario Paint remixes on YouTube! And they're wonderful.

That's what has me intrigued by Mario Maker: The potential for creative expression beyond the intended bounds laid down by the creators. I've always felt that creativity thrives most within limitations, and Nintendo has a tendency to create restrictive tools for expression that offer just the right kind of options to foster imagination.

Lately, I've been on a kick of looking into Nintendo's early history and the influence the company's legacy as a toy designer and manufacturer had on its approach to video games. Even after all these years as a game developer, Nintendo's toymaker perspective still shades its work, whether it's in the sort of aimless whimsy found in Tomodachi Life or a more overt expression like Mario Maker. This lateral approach to game design is what keeps me interested in the company's products, even in tough times.

Of all the do-it-yourself game tools presented at this year's E3 -- Project Spark, Mario Maker, and LittleBigPlanet 3 -- Mario Maker looks the most focused and the most fun. I mean, sure, it doesn't have a Conker mod, but what can you do? I'm sure I'll spend entirely too much time with it regardless.

Update: I spoke with producer Takashi Tezuka about Mario Maker today. Speficially, I asked if the two art styles available in the show floor demo — the original Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. U — would be the extent of the looks available for level design. Will we see Super Mario Bros. 3? Super Mario World?

"Obviously, there will be other graphical styles included," Tezuka said. "And nothing's been decided yet, but I'd also like to include other graphics that aren't Mario." Would that mean that if Legend of Zelda graphics were included, the game would let you design top-down stages, I asked?

"No, it won't be top-down," he said. "It's always going to be a 2D platformer." However, players can expect more level design elements than those included on the show floor. Tezuka said he plans to integrate more enemy and object types than what appeared in the E3 demo, though he doesn't want the palette of options to become overwhelming.

Tezuka also emphasized the inspiration Mario Maker draws from Mario Paint and says that he hopes to include features similar to those of that Super NES classic, including a music composition feature. As for Internet sharing and Miiverse integration, Tezuka admits those details are still being worked out as well, but that he's mindful of players' desire to show off their level designs to friends.

"Sharing with friends is really the whole point of making levels," he said.

We'll have more of Tezuka's thoughts next week in our extended hands-on Mario Maker preview and interview.

Be excited Jeremy. I'm happy for you.
    On one hand, this game makes me sad that I'll struggle to make anything cool when I get it. On the other hand, I'm very excited to play what other people make!!
    AND a solid, legit use for the Wii U pad.
    I am really going to try and dig up my old designs for Mario levels from when I was a kid...
  • Avatar for merrillhaas35 #5 merrillhaas35 2 years ago
    I pray that this is the starting point that eventually brings us The Legend of Zelda Maker.
    I'd like to be exited about Mario Maker, but it just looks so limited. There is no verticality to the levels, and no inclined planes. You're restricted to placing simple blocks on a horizontally scrolling level in the style of Super Mario Bros 1. There is only so much creative level design one can do inside of those restrictions, and most of that was already explored in The Lost Levels. I would love to see a Mario editor that incorporated sprites and elements from Mario 1,2,3, and World, with vertical scrolling, slopes, water, etc. The game doesn't come out til 2015 so maybe these are elements which are planned and just haven't been shown yet. Or they might be included in DLC or a sequel.
    I remember checking that contest page back on 1up to see who the winner was. I don't remember it ever concluding...

I'm super stoked for this. After flailing around in LittleBigPlanet's boring slow-motion world, I yearned for an official make-your-levels Mario game. An official level-editor for THE platforming series. It's a dream come true. Already, we can see some odd things that weren't possible in the original or its Japanese sequel. I just hope we can also use elements from later games in the series, but Nintendo's gotta save something for DLC, I guess. I mean, DLC that allowed us to play with elements from spin-off series, like Yoshi and Wario... would make this just about the best thing ever on Wii U.
    Reminds me of Mega Man Powered Up's editor.

So it makes me angry that MMPU was just buried & forgotten on the PSP, and Capcom foolishly never made a PSN/XBLA version of that amazing game. >:(
    I've been waiting for something like this from Nintendo for years, but now I question how elaborate the editor will be. Can only one level be shared at a time, or can entire levels be strung together to create an entire game? What about bosses? Can a story be added? Without these features, Mario Maker is little more than the sum of its parts, which may not add up to much.

Which is why I love Little Big Planet's creator. Wonky physics aside, almost anything could be created using its tools.

I don't need Mario Maker to be that elaborate, of course, but how I would love to create that Mario sequel that Nintendo never gave me...
    @Critical_Hit Yeah, I'm shocked the game never resurfaced on Xbox Live or PSN. Guess Mega Man Universe is to blame there.
  • Avatar for Critical_Hit #11 Critical_Hit 2 years ago
    @Pacario: Urrgh. I forgot about that :(

That ugly, ugly, unfocused, horrible imposter of a Mega Man game. Glad it got canned, but you're right - that was probably instrumental in helping to tank the Blue Bomber over at Capcom back then. Any future plans for the adorable would-be Powered Up series probably were scuttled because they would've hinged their plans on Universe.

I'm sad now.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #12 LBD_Nytetrayn 2 years ago
    I'm definitely interested in this, though I wonder if it will have some "genuine" Nintendo-made levels thrown in. Having something to study and go by to know what works and what won't seems like it would be an asset.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #13 ShadowTheSecond 2 years ago
    Definitely thankful for the update! I could see Kirby or Zelda 2's Link fitting in fairly well--or even Zero Suit Samus's bizarre heels smashing Goombas...

Though the software looks great, I'm curious what their final price will be. $60 seems a bit much for just sidescroller Mario editing (even with the other features like music editing) for it to be a big seller, not that I wouldn't still be interested
    Super Mario X gave me hopes of Zelda II esque levels. I hope that type of thing will be possible someday, even if they'd need to make a wholly different character subset to make it happen.
    Mario Maker will surely foster creativity, but not beyond the intended bounds laid down by the creators. Sorry, but it's true. Mario Paint certainly did no such thing, and especially not in the manner implied here.

The impressive Gusty Garden Galaxy remix video linked here, offered up as the "proof" of what wonderful things can happen inside limitations, simply doesn't apply because it wasn't made in Mario Paint. Neither were the tens of thousands of others like it. They all exist because of Mario Paint Composer, an unlicensed third-party program created specifically to break outside the boundaries of Mario Paint's novel but extremely limited composition tool.

Mario Paint wouldn't allow you to have more than 24 bars of music. Mario Paint wouldn't allow you to have more than 3 notes on a single beat. Mario Paint wouldn't allow you to harmonize by playing two or more instruments on the same note at the same time. And Mario Paint wouldn't allow you to use sharps or flats. The Gusty Garden remix exploits all of these hacks, and absolutely could not have ever been made in Mario Paint.

So creativity can thrive all it wants, but there's a stark difference between creativity and creations. Mario Paint inspired plenty of creativity, I'm sure, but no meaningful creations were ever made within its extremely strict boundaries.

Creations can only become noteworthy when the creator is given the proper tools or has the power to make his own tools. The Gusty Garden Galaxy remix is an example of the former; Mario Paint Composer is an example of the latter. Mario Paint itself is an example of neither. (Which in fairness, is at least partly owed to limitations of its day. This isn't intended as a criticism of Mario Paint; you just can't rightfully call it a creation platform, directly or indirectly.)

In any case, we know Mario Maker won't provide the ability for users to create their own tools, so whether it ends up as a novelty toy or a bonafide platform for creation depends on what tools Nintendo provides. What we saw at E3 was more novelty than creation platform, but that may only be because it was a sneak peek at a product still in development. All of us wanting more should be hopeful and expectant that there will be much more to see when it's finished. Otherwise, we'll only get what we saw at E3: a bunch of silly levels with stacks of enemies and floaty platforms everywhere so that players don't actually have to contend with them.
    Man that is a meaty update! I hope SMB2 (aka SMB USA) and the SNES All-Stars palettes are being considered!
    How are you all?
  • Avatar for dominicfernando #18 dominicfernando A month ago
    [url=http://result.gen.in/]Result 2017[/url]
    [url=http://result.gen.in/]Results 2017[/url]
    [url=http://result.gen.in/]10th Result[/url]
    [url=http://result.gen.in/]12th Result[/url]
  • Avatar for nirmalchamoli73 #19 nirmalchamoli73 A month ago
    happy new year 2017 check out my website.
  • Agarwal Home Movers & Packers offers packers and movers service, movers and packers, Packers & Movers
    movers and packers in Jaipur, house hold shifting
  • Avatar for heiderkumar19 #21 heiderkumar19 A month ago
    Mario Maker!! Does this gaming tool available for android? It is quite exciting. I love mario, hindi songs too... It reminds me my young age.Edited last month by heiderkumar19
    Anything from Mario, welcome is.
    I am a lover of mario games and also juegos friv online
    برامج تحميل ، ان البرامج اليوم هى المحرك الأساسى للكمبيوتر حيث ان لكل شىء محرك ، لتصميم صورة رائعة تحتاج الى تحميل برنامج تعديل الصور مثل برنامج فوتوشوب الشهير التابع لأدوبي ، كذلك ان اردت مشاهدة فيديو رائع ، يمكنك ذلك من خلال تحميل برنامج يوتيوب لمشاهدة جميع الفيديوهات والقنوات الاخبارية والاحداث العالمية من خلالة ، وان كنت من محبى سماع الصوتيات والنغمات يمكنك ذلك من خلال تحميل برامج الكمبيوتر .
    تنزيل بعض برامج الصوت مثل الريال بلاير او برنامج وين امب او الميديا بلاير وغيرها من برامج الصوت المشهورة والمميزة ، لذلك سوف نرى ان جميع برامج الكمبيوتر هى محركات اساسية للوصول لهدف محدد وواضح ، وان كل شىء يحتاج الى برنامج للتعامل معه بشكل كامل وبامكانيات تجعلك تتحكم فيه بشكل شبه كلي ، لذلك ينصح جميع المستخدمين بتحميل البرامج التى تحتاجها بشكل يومى ، كما ان خبراء البرامج والكمبيوتر ينصحون دائما باعتبار الكمبيوتر هو ناقتك التى تحملك فى عالم الانترنت ، وينصحونك بعدم تحميل البرامج التى لا تحتاج لها ، وان لا تنزل البرامج الا التى تحتاجها وتستخدمها بشكل دائم ، وان هذا هو أفضل إستخدام للكمبيوتر للحفاظ عليه والاستمرار بشكل جيد ودائم .

تحميل متصفحات الأنترنت :
    يوجد العديد من المتصفحات الجيدة التي يمكنك استخدامها للتصفح فى المواقع ، ولكن سوف ننصحك بعدة برامج مميزات ومتصفحات رائعة اثبتت بالتجارب انها الأفضل على الاطلاق ، اهم هذه المتصفحات ، متصفح جوجل كروم ، متصفح فايرفوكس ، متصفح اوبرا .
    تطبيقات أندرويد :
    فى عالم الاندرويد سوف تجد ان برامج الاندرويد اصبحت هامة جدا وان تحميل تطبيقات الاندرويد وبرامج الاندرويد ، وخصوصا العاب الاندرويد التى أصبحت شبه واقعا مثل لعبة بوكيمون جو الشهيرة والتى ظهرت مؤخرا .
    اصبحت تحميل العاب من أكثر الاشياء بحثا وتحميلا فى هذا الوقت ، نظرا لسهولة اللعب ونتيجة ان العاب الاندرويد لا تحتاج الى جهاز كمبيوتر ، ولا تحتاج سوف الهاتف الذكي الذى تستخدمة بشكل دائم مما جعل اللعب اكثر متعة وسهولة ويمكنك ان تلعب هذه الالعاب فى السيارة او اثناء السفر او على الطائرة او فى اى وقت .

برامج اندرويد :
    أنصحك باستخدام العديد من برامج الاندرويد ، ولكن يوجد عدة برامج انصحك باستخدامها ، اهم هذه البرامج برنامج واتساب اب ، برنامج لاين ، وتنزيل جميع تطبيقات الشات ، مثل تحميل فيس بوك ، تنزيل تويتر ، وغيرها من البرامج الهامة التى تستخدم فى التواصل الاجتماعى ، تحميل برنامج يوتيوب وتنزيل فيس بوك لايت ايضا فهو نسخة خفيفة لاستخدامه الفيس بشكل سريع وسهل ، تحميل برنامج ايمو وتنزيل برنامج تيليجرام ايضا فهو برنامج سريع مثل الواتس اب ،هذه البرامج الأكثر تحميلا فى تطبيقات الاندرويد والأيفون .

الخلاصة :
    يوجد العديد من البرامج الهامة والتى نرغب فى استخدامها ، ولكن اهم هذه البرامج التى ننصحك باستخدامها هى برنامج وينرار وهو برنامج مشهور فى فك وضغط الملفات لسهولة ارسالها واستلامها على الانترنت ، برنامج ياهو ماسنجر فهو أول ماسنجر ظهر فى عالم الاتصال على الانترنت . كما ننصحك حجب المواقع الاباحيةايضا ، فهو برنامج هام جدا وعملي . يمكنك ايضا تحميل برنامج شير ات فهو من افضل البرامج الجديدة ايضا وننصح بتحميلة . وهذه تعتبر خلاصة لأفضل برامج تحميل كمبيوتر ويمكنك تحميل جميع هذه البرامج من الانترنت من خلال برنامج انترنت داونلود مانجر 2017الجديد واخر نسخة .
    New Year is the moment to open out fresh prospects and recognize fresh dreams, to find again the power and confidence within you, to celebrate in effortless enjoyments and gear up for fresh challenges. If searching for welcome 2017 images you can go for full sizes. Wishing you an actually accomplishing 2017.
  • Avatar for pankajsehoriya #25 pankajsehoriya A month ago
    Sorry, but an error occurred while posting your comment
    airtel ussd codes
    aircel ussd codes
    jio all ussd codes
    Your article very well and good, bringing inspiration to many. I hope people visit my website.
    Minecraft 4 School
  • Avatar for bhupendersingh74 #27 bhupendersingh74 A month ago
    I had the opportunity to speak with a former writer for a prestigious and his experience in the industry.
  • Avatar for franciscolh2014 #30 franciscolh2014 17 days ago
    I'm am really exited about Mario Bros 3. I played this game at Juegos Friv and is really cool.
    I would like to thanks for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I’m hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own website now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a great example of it.
    TUKAR BARANG
    I love all the posts , I really enjoyed,would like more information about this, because it is very nice , Thanks for sharing
    Abcya 4 School
    Abcya 1
    Abcya 3
    Abcya 4
    Abcya 5
    thanks you
    I got good ideas from this amazing blog.I hope people visit my website.
    Kizi.Com
    Friv.Com
    Y8
    it's really good news ! thanks for share. i'd like it
    friv 2017
    ABCya 3
    ABCya 4
  • Avatar for sureshdadd35 #36 sureshdadd35 11 days ago
    great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. it’s really good. i like viewing web site again.
    TS ICET 2017
    i really miss this game, i love that. If i remember more, it can make me cry, i have to many memory with this game..... situs taruhan online
    I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again. I hope people visit my website.
    Friv 8
    Kizi 9
    Kizi 8
    Fynsy
    I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me. I hope people visit my website.
    Run 3