Edge Magazine Reportedly Gives Super Mario Odyssey a Perfect Score

Mario's odyssey offers top-tier amenities.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

In the wee hours of this very morning, gaming magazine Edge tweeted the latest issue is being slightly delayed "to accommodate an exclusive embargo."

It seems the embargo is for the highly-anticipated Super Mario Odyssey on the Nintendo Switch—which, according to a few subscribers who have in fact netted the latest issue of the magazine, received a perfect 10 out of 10.

"JPickford," a member of rllmukforum.com's message boards, posted a snap of the review. It's indeed a 10, and though we can't see too much of the review's text, there are definite words of phrase. It appears Edge is happy with how Super Mario Odyssey's risks pay off and keep Mario feeling fresh and new despite his age.

Unless we're holding the real McCoy in our hands, it's prudent to point out something like this can be photoshopped—but given Edge's own announcement of an exclusive embargo and Mario Odyssey's impending release date, it's more likely Edge is simply very fond of Nintendo's latest Mario game.

Edge doesn't give out 10's very often. The last game to get the elusive stamp was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and before that was 2015's Bloodborne.

Super Mario Odyssey is coming to the Switch on October 27. Look forward to USgamer's review soon!

(Special thanks: Nintendo Everything)

Just hoping for a deal on that bundle this holiday season.
    Oh my, I was about to pick up a Switch early next year...
    Can anyone else recall what games Edge has given a 10? I think Mario 64 and Gran Turismo were 10s
  • Avatar for nathanstinson41 #4 nathanstinson41 8 days ago
    The hype is palpable
    @EatSleepPlay The others I’m aware of are Ocarina of Time, Halo 1 and (I think) Half Life 2. There must have been some others but I haven’t really read Edge since the early 2000s.

Hopefully Odyssey will be back to the standard of Mario Galaxy 2, as I didn’t really get on with 3D World.
    We know you're playing the game, Nadia! Stop being so selfish, and start passing Mario around like the tart that he is.
    This is good marketing-fuel for Nintendo, if true, but should mean little to nothing to any seasoned gamer who knows his or her own taste.
    @EatSleepPlay There is a list on Wikipedia. Twenty-one games total and interestly 7 of them are Mario or Zelda.
    @BulkSlash The game looks to be closest to Super Mario 64, not Galaxy or 3D World.
    @Number1Laing Suits me, I love 64 too!
    @BulkSlash Me too. I thought the Galaxy games were superb - probably my favourite Mario games. But surprisingly found 3D World very dull. Not sure why either.
    @BulkSlash I enjoyed 3D Land, but I was really bored by 3D World. It was a competent game, but in the last exciting and tame way possible. I have to say though, I'm not a big Mario fan, or a fan of platformers in general, but I am kinda excited for Odyssey.

Mainly because until BotW came along, I was really down on most so-called open-world games (with a few exceptions like RDR and GTAV, though I think I liked them despite this rather than because of it), but BotW really showed that exploring an open-world can be highly enjoyable in and off itself, IF it is done right.

This is what really gives me high hopes for Odyssey. If it can tap into the same sensation of "let me just check what's behind that next hill, then I'll stop ...", then it will be quite a treat!Edited 6 days ago by Ralek

Comments