Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 Aren't Coming Anytime Soon, Says Tetsuya Nomura

Director Tetsuya Nomura admits that Square Enix' next flagship games aren't near the finish line.

News by Mike Williams, .

If you're hoping to play Final Fantasy VII Remake for PlayStation 4 and Kingdom Hearts III for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One anytime soon, director Tetsuya Nomura says you need to pump the brakes. Nomura was previously on the long-running development of Final Fantasy XV, before moving to Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake. In an interview with Famitsu (from Hachima Kikou, translated via Gematsu), Nomura admits those games aren't right around the corner either.

It's been a long road...

"While I can't make a sweeping statement because the development process is different from what we've done so far, there are still worlds untouched. Production is progressing on unannounced worlds, in a state that we cannot show them off. In terms of the state of development, there is still some way to go," replied Nomura when asked about Kingdom Hearts 3's development.

His answer was rather similar for Final Fantasy 7 Remake, the episodic project that is intended to present one of Square Enix' classics to a new audience.

"We're steadily progressing on production. While we are making them, I apologize that the wait will be be a bit longer for Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake. I am very sorry, but to that degree I will make a game that will meet your expectations," said Nomura. "Last year, I didn't put out much information on either title, but this year I want to show our progress at an event somewhere. The release of the titles themselves have still have a way to go. But there are many titles releasing this year, if you can wait for any 'surprises.'"

I'm Fine With the Changes Being Made to Final Fantasy VII's Battle System

Square Enix's update is more faithful than it first appears, plus other observations from the slew of new Final Fantasy VII Remake info.

Hopefully, the production schedules of Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 aren't as long as their older sibling. FF7 Remake is an episodic project precisely because the game would take forever to complete as a single release. At the very least, we should see something from each game this year, as it's the 15th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts, the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy 7, and the 30th anniversary of Final Fantasy.

LOL. I need to show this to my buddy who was actually under some delusion that KH3 and FFVII:R were "close".
  • Avatar for sketchlayerjosh #2 sketchlayerjosh 2 months ago
    That's a lot of trust and patience being asked for by the Japanese John Romero. Perhaps he should direct even one actually good game before he's given the lead role in TWO of the company's biggest projects? Eh, Japanese business practices. What can you do?Edited January 2017 by sketchlayerjosh
    I am surprised that SE hasn't simply given Nomura a window seat. It seems like Final Fantasy's slide into empty flash has coincided with his rise from character artist to lead designer. Nevermind that it looks like any project he now leads simply languishes. He must be charned, or has a whole lot of dirt on SE's executives.
    I'll be expecting both games on the Playstation 5 and Xbox TWO at this point.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #5 The-Challenger 2 months ago
    I guess the FF versus/XV development process is the new norm over at the Final fantasy company.

Was the interview with Famitsu meant to hint at the likelihood that a FF XV-2 is in the works?
    From a game design perspective (and looking at the trailer for the remake) I'm wondering if they scoped out their project effectively enough. I mean, just look at how much time it took Eidos to make Deus Ex: Mankind Divided -- give or take five years. And that game only has two major locations.

Assuming Square Enix uses an existing game engine to save time, and it kept its famous "army of artists" from the FFXIII days, they are still facing the daunting task of making unique assets for over twenty major locations -- plus the entire city of Midgar -- that previously existed as pre-rendered backgrounds over extremely simple geometry for precisely this reason. And that's before we get into how they're going to handle the world's first attempt to translate an overworld map into the modern 3D era (everyone else, even Mass Effect, used what was essentially a menu).

A modern remake of Final Fantasy VII is the most ambitious video game project ever attempted.Edited January 2017 by nimzy
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #7 Nuclear-Vomit 2 months ago
    Well, I guess I have to wait longer to save my true love, Aeris. I can save her this time right? Or do I have to watch it happen again, right in front of me? What's wrong with me!!? Why didn't I do anything? Sob..
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #8 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    I think adding marvel and star wars would be the only excuse but realistically they're probably just adding the worlds from Tangled and Cars at this point....

As to the 7 remake, I see no reason to rush, the farther away it is from the original, the more the legend of its majesty grows and the proportionate number of people who have actually played it goes down, thus cementing its success... of course, then it will be even longer before they can re-re-release it!
    I don't get why they made him the director for the FF7 remake when he didn't get FFvs13 out. They should cut losses and give it to Tabata now.Edited January 2017 by wingzero98
    More Nomura vapourware. We'll see them in 7 years time after Tabata takes over the projects.
    Aren't the people working on the Naruto games working on FF7?
    Sigh... Nomura just doesn’t learn, does he? -_-
    @wingzero98 Honestly, I think giving Tabata the next numbered FF entry while keeping Nomura on the remake it’s actually their best option at this point.
    @jihon83 maybe we are thinking about this wrong. Maybe kh3 was supposed to be a window seat project. But it wasn't enough so they added the ff7 remake to it too.

Trust square to be amazingly grand even with their window seat jobs.
    I still don't think either of these games actually exist in any way, and as such don't think they'll ever ship. There. I've said it.
    @docexe more like Square doesn't learn.
    @kidgorilla I think kh3 at least exists in some way. Not much of one though.
  • Avatar for garygalloway29 #18 garygalloway29 2 months ago
    I don't like to throw shade, but Nomura isn't fit to produce. He doesn't seem to respect business needs. He is Matsuno before the business failure. (Maybe he hides it better.) (Not to equate his talent to Matsuno's.)Edited January 2017 by garygalloway29
    Remember when they said FF VII would be episodic so it wouldn't take ten years to make? If it takes a decade or more to get all out anyway I see little difference except financially (which admittedly is a big distinction).
    @link6616 Internal tech demos and "pre-alpha" nonsense, I think. If it's that far out from completion, No Man's Sky just proved that they should have never shown it to the press
    @cldmstrsn On the second consideration, you make a fair point there.

Comments