Final Fantasy 7 Remake Is Moving Forward, Square-Enix "Recruiting Urgently"

Business Division 1 needs a big, beautiful team for their big, beautiful remake.

News by Matt Kim, .

The highly anticipated Final Fantasy 7 Remake is starting to get off the ground and the remake team at Square-Enix's Business Division 1 put out a public jobs call, "urgently recruiting" for the project. Three of the top developers on the project, Yoshinori Kitase, director Tetsuya Nomura, and development leader Naoki Hamaguchi all put out personal statements to get people interested in applying for the project.

"For this project, we aim to surpass the original work in terms of quality," said Yoshinori Kitase in the blog post translated by Siliconera. To do this, Kitase says the Final Fantasy VII Remake team will "[increase] the number of staff to strengthen the core company development as [Business Division 1 heads] into the development progress phase." Which suggests that the game is still a long ways away.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake director Tetsuya Nomura makes a slightly stronger case to potential recruits appealing to those who are "concerned with the industry" and citing "the number of domestic staff is significantly lower compared to that of foreign high-definition developers." Therefore, Square-Enix "must urgently recruit as much staff as possible."

Lastly, Development Leader Naoki Hamaguchi dives a little deeper into the motivations for embarking on the Final Fantasy 7 Remake project to begin with. Everything from helping a new generation of gamers discover Final Fantasy 7, to applying modern technology and graphical advancements to the game, Hamaguchi writes that, "now is the best time for creators to display experience and abilities, for this title with high expectations around the world."

There are a couple interesting tidbits in this post. Kitase reveals that many of the original Final Fantasy 7 staff, having worked on later Final Fantasy games, are now joining the Remake team, suggesting that the Remake is moving forward as a bigger Final Fantasy project for Square-Enix. Especially considering its been nearly two years since the Remake was announced at E3 2015

It will be interesting to see what Square-Enix's Business Division 1 will do with a team the scale of, as Nomura points out, "foreign high-definition developers." From the rumored multi-year, episodic format the Final Fantasy 7 Remake is gunning for, it certainly sounds as though Square-Enix might need a Triple-A size team. Especially considering the monumental expectations for the project.

What else is on the Square Enix pipeline for this year besides FF12 and another 14 Expansion?
    Good to know they're getting started?
    Take all the time you need to make this good Square.
    @TheWildCard They already started in 2015 they are just ramping it up most likely because they are in the thick of it and need to stay on schedule.Edited May 2017 by cldmstrsn
    @SIGGYZtar at least in Japan there is DQ XI.
    Wouldn't expect anything less for the most ambitious software project out there. All said and done they're going to be writing textbooks on the things they will learn making this game.
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #7 Jeremiah-Jones 4 months ago
    @cldmstrsn seconded, 3rded, 4th'd etc. As long as it takes.

I know what I am about to say may cause a fair share of "rolleyes," but I now hope to see what would happen if... you could... you know... prevent the actions of the end of Disc 1. What if it led to a completely different ending altogether? What if it undid Advent Children, and the other FF7 Spinoffs that aren't Crisis Core? I feel 14 again in my excitement, and that scares me with older Jeremiah's experience with real world disappointment.Edited May 2017 by Jeremiah-Jones
    @Jeremiah-Jones

*spoilers*

doesn't she need to die to save the planet?Edited May 2017 by Thetick
  • Avatar for Mixingmetaphorsoup #9 Mixingmetaphorsoup 4 months ago
    Look, I don't care when this comes out, but for god's sake, have we learned nothing from 15's development cycle? Take Nomura away. Please. He's not helping this get done any quicker.
    @Jeremiah-Jones I gotta say I hope that doesnt happen. She has to go for the sake of the story. That was the whole second wind for the party and her sacrifice really is the central theme.
    @Mixingmetaphorsoup Honestly Nomura in the directors seat isnt going to delay the game. I say this because its the producers that schedule everything and make sure its on time and Kitase has a better track record of getting games out.Edited 2 times. Last edited May 2017 by cldmstrsn
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #12 Jeremiah-Jones 4 months ago
    *Spoilers*
    @Thetick It has been way too long since I played the game, but I thought her "prayer"for it was the most important thing. Sephiroth interrupted that by killing her if memory serves me. Which leads to:

@cldmstrsn Don't get me wrong, I don't want my sentiments to REPLACE the original story, but having that option kind of like the "secret date" for Barrett, is more my preference. I'm just intrigued, rather foolishly, in the "What if?" What if she successfully makes the prayer, and humanity is eliminated? What if she makes the prayer, and nothing happens? How does the group respond what seemed like the sure thing falling apart? If Aerith gets to Icicle Inn and discovers her "lineage" on the computer, after the failure of the holy prayer, then how does SHE respond to that?

As Jeremy Parish once mentioned in Retronauts way back a long time ago, Aerith was the "saucy" one. How SHE does react when HER life is turned upside down? Would she go off the rails? What would an off kilter Aerith be like? Would it sharpen her resolve? We saw what happened with Cloud and his... issues. We also see how Terra changed in her character arc in FF6. I could go on all day about this, and the "What ifs" because that stuff fascinates me, but don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to see the story changed, but after playing Tactics Ogre PSP, and messing with the timelines, and the choices, IF it could be pulled off in this game, it could be fun to further explore the psychology of the characters.Edited 2 times. Last edited May 2017 by Jeremiah-Jones
    Hmm, I hear there is a studio of Danish developers who made a really excellent episodic game, but they are being killed arbitrarily by their parent company. Maybe Square-Enix could swoop in and headhu-oh wait, nevermind.
    Guys I'm not sure if spoiler warnings are valid for a game that came out 20 years ago XD.
    I look forward to my firstborn child getting to play this game. Assuming I have one.
    @SIGGYZtar They have a new DQ main title releasing in Japan... for both 3DS and PS4. That's going to be pretty huge.

And there are rumors of re-releases and more remasters timed for the series 30th anniversary this year. Who knows what we'll actually get? I'm betting we'll see a Lighting trilogy on PS4/XBO sometime this fall at least. It's basically only a matter of time before they port the arcade Dissidia game to FF to PS4, though who knows about localization (speaking of, the Mana collection for Switch comes out in Japan soon...).

I'm sure they'll have some more unannounced stuff this fall, even if a lot of it is just remasters and the like. Which is fine! Because SE's remasters have, so far, typically had the highest quality.
    @kurono64 I think that too but when you have people saying they have never played it and the developers saying there are people who have never experienced the game its always nice for those few.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #18 VotesForCows 4 months ago
    I wonder if the update schedule for 15 is partly a learning curve for them to develop workflow processes around producing continuous or episodic content.
    they are being killed arbitrarily by their parent company, thank you
    Friv