Final Fantasy VII Remake Producer: "There Is Still Some Way To Go From Here"

Yoshinori Kitase is frank about the progress of Final Fantasy VII Remake.

News by Mike Williams, .

When the Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary event came and went with only a new key visual for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, fans had questions. Where was a trailer at least? The game is planned for episodic release so that Square Enix can release something sooner rather than later. In an interview with Weekly Famitsu (translated via Gematsu), FF7 Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase admitted that the first episode still needs work.

"We're still brushing up the scenes we showed you in the trailer. The level of quality we need to hit is coming into view, but there is still some way to go from here," said Kitase. "I think it's my responsibility to decide the level of quality and maintain that quality to the very end during production of the episodes. Of course, as the episodes progress, it's only natural that the quality match."

Square Enix has settled on the game's battle system, which will not be the turn-based RPG of the original. Kitase says that FF7 Remake director Tetsuya Nomura has solidified the base of the game, working alongside Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia: Final Fantasy planning director Mitsunori Takahashi. Those names can give you an idea of what kind of combat you should expect.

Kitase also talked about being able to keep fans happy between episode releases.

Final Fantasy VII Remake May Include Spin-Off Characters and Settings

Square Enix is not opposed to content from Crisis Core or Advent Children appearing in the remake.

"Final Fantasy VII spreads out laterally in a compilation. There isn't a concrete plan, but since we can't put out a game in just a few months, I want to think of a way to sustain interest in between releases," he explained. "While I would like to take measures such as doing live streams to interact with users, with this episode system I think we'll be using all of our energy on reaching the end of the original game, so I don't really know whether or not we'll be able to do things between episodes and other titles."

Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to PlayStation 4 when it's done.

This all sounds like SE put the cart before the horse, which seems to be their MO
    @kidgorilla I don't know about that. It took about a decade of fan demand for an HD remake before it was even greenlit, the episodic structure is the most sensible way to split such a massive undertaking up into manageable pieces, and they're taking the time to make sure the result doesn't disappoint.

What would you suggest they could have done better?

Well, starting with a concrete plan would be a good first step
  • Avatar for ReptilianSamurai #4 ReptilianSamurai 9 months ago
    "Square Enix has settled on the game's battle system, which will not be the turn-based RPG of the original."

And... They just lost a sale.
    I'll be surprised if this thing ever gets released in a completed form. I'll be a little surprised if even just the initial episode ever gets released in a completed form.

But I'm an anti-remake grump with little to no interest, so I can afford to be pessimistic I guess.
    Coming to the playstation 4 you say?

More like coming to the Samsung Galaxy 12.
    Absolutely absurd.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #8 Tetragrammaton 9 months ago
    I joked about this yesterday, clearly I'm psychic. What are the odds now that VIIr is remade into a mainline game?Edited February 2017 by Tetragrammaton
    @Tetragrammaton man ive heard some theories but this takes the cake.
    @ReptilianSamurai but thats been known for years now..
    And the award for "company most likely to announce titles too soon" goes to: Square Enix!

Again.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #12 Tetragrammaton 9 months ago
    @cldmstrsn I don't really actually think it would happen, but I would laugh if it did.
    @Tetragrammaton my whole world would be turned upside down! haha
    Yeah, his comments don’t make me feel reassured that we will see the entirety of the FFVII remake in the lifetime of the PS4, and I’m starting to wonder if I will even see it in my own lifetime.

Comments