Final Fantasy XI is Coming to a Close, Apparently

... And if you want to see its finale, you won't need a subscription.

Analysis by Bob Mackey, .

With how quickly MMOs come and go—remember WildStar?—it's strange to think Final Fantasy XI has been chugging along for nearly 14 years.

Nothing lasts forever, of course, and today marks the final installment of narrative content for Square-Enix's long-in-the-tooth MMORPG. If you've been anticipating the end of the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel storyline, it's finally here, meaning you can jump in again and bring yourself back to a time when cell phones folded in half, fast food meals could be Super-Sized, and UGG Boots had only begun their reign of terror.

Seeing as most FFXI players have likely closed down their accounts ages ago, Square-Enix is offering a way for old subscribers to jump back in to see the finale. The page for this event features some pretty specific details, but you can essentially take advantage of this free offer between Friday, November 13 to Tuesday, November 24. Even if Final Fantasy XI ends with a whimper, this event still amounts an extremely kind gesture to those who've sunk years into the game over the past decade-plus.

Is this the end to the story or the game itself will shut down after this event?
    @ldave I'm pretty sure this is just the end of content.

Skimming through this

Suggests the PC version will keep chugging a long for quite a while. I think the most amazing thing here is the PS2 VERSION IS STILL SUPPORTED AS OF TODAY.

I'm impressed enough the Wii version of Dragon Quest X is supported, but this just seems impossible.

Also this other piece mentioned UI improvements might be coming. Which is actually a pretty compelling reason to dip back in. And given the handing off to Nexon, sounds like this is more likely the start of a transition to free to play.Edited November 2015 by link6616
    NOOOOOO!!! Final Fantasy XI is ending!? This can't be! It's been going on for so long! How could this happen? It was such a good series! *sigh* It's so sad to see it go... but I guess all things have to leave eventually.
    Wow, I can't believe it's been 14 years since I started thinking that I might someday, maybe, play Final Fantasy XI. I still haven't ruled it out completely.
    I thought I heard the mournful cry of an Alex Fraioli. #vanadielwithit ;_;
  • Avatar for victorehunter #7 victorehunter 2 years ago
    Still waiting for that mobile version that was announced earlier this year. I've just never had a machine that was able to play FFXI. I've always really enjoyed the game's lore and design though. I'll probably jump back into XIV for a while and do some of the XI crossover stuff.
    eagerly waiting for this. also, need to check on iniciar sesion
  • Avatar for hotmailregistrarse #9 hotmailregistrarse 5 days ago
    I never thought this would end, but I never thought much about FF XI... I'll pour one out for this forgotten fellow tonight. Hotmail registrarse email free sign up.

İnstagram Registrarse
  • Avatar for hotmailregistrarse #10 hotmailregistrarse 5 days ago
    Hemen sizde ücretsiz olarak E Posta Kur işlemini gerçekleştirebilirsiniz. Yada Hotmail Kaydol makalemizi ziyaret ederek hesap açma işleminide yapabilirsiniz. Hemen web sitemizi ziyaret edin ve hesap açmaya başlayınız.!
  • Avatar for hotmailregistrarse #11 hotmailregistrarse 5 days ago
    Hemen sizde web sitemizi ziyaret ederek www.epostabilgi.com sitemizi ziyaret ederek yada hemen Msn Kaydolol makalesine göz atarak nasıl hesap açacağınızı kolayca öğrenebilirsiniz. Sitemiz ücretsiz olarak sizler için tasarlanmıştır tek yapmanız gereken web sitemizi ziyaret edip Hotmail Aç işlemini gerçekleştirmeniz gerekmektedir.

Comments