Final Fantasy XV Travel Diary, Final Day: Stray Thoughts and Observations

There's still plenty to see and do in Duscae, but it's time to close the book on this massive RPG (until November 29).

Preview by Jeremy Parish, .

Jump to: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3

I've written quite a lot about Final Fantasy XV based on the near-final preview version of the game Square Enix has shared with the press, but I'll be honest: It hasn't really gone the way I expected.

Catch up on the FFXV Travel Diary:

I figured I'd be able to dash through the first five chapters of the game (roughly one-third to one-half of the final version, I speculate entirely through inference and deduction) in fairly short order and would be happy to be done with it. In practice, though, FFXV has proven to be a much larger — and far more enjoyable — RPG than I would have expected. Comparisons to The Witcher III probably wouldn't be out of line here: You traverse a huge land, accept optional bounties to take down roaming monsters, and fight by means of an RPG-inflected real-time combat system. Still, this game nevertheless retains its own personality, combining familiar open-world conventions with familiar Final Fantasy standards... as well as a healthy dose of unique elements to keep things lively.

My play time with the game has passed the 15-hour mark, which appears to be the point at which others playing this build had powered through to the end of the five-part demo. I... didn't quite get that far; I'm still just a little ways into Chapter Three, in fact. I spent about three hours with the game following my third write-up and barely made a dent on progressing the plot... and that was only by accident. I didn't realize I had set my waypoint for the city where the next story event took place (having turned off that particular quest marker straightaway) and ended up triggering the next key cut scene quite by mistake.

And that was OK, because the next plot sequence didn't involve a dungeon or a pitched battle; it consisted of Prince Noctis sightseeing his way through the streets of a European-style city with his friend's sister. From there I'm meant to head to a dungeon and find another of the prince's mystical weapons; which is fine, but much less interesting to me than the prospect of wandering around the remainder of the Duscae province, which incidentally turns out to be quite a bit larger than the desolate Liede and contains many more points of interest to uncover.

At the same time, I didn't really experience any shocking new revelations about the game or story in my most recent play sessions (mostly I wandered around the countryside on chocobo-back). So, rather than presenting an in-depth thesis with which to wrap this preview series, instead I'd like to end my time with FFXV (until November 29, that is) with a series of scattered observations, details, and comments.

The odd mishmash of vintage, futuristic, and beaten-down rustic aesthetics make FFXV feel at times like the proper realization of a world concept Final Fantasy has been struggling to express since FFVII and FFVIII.

1. It's not entirely an all-American road trip

While I've really enjoyed the authentic detail with which the first few areas of Final Fantasy XV capture the experience of traveling by car around the U.S., the overall feel of the world changes once you get out of the low lands and into the upper regions of Duscae around the city of Lestallum. Here, the world begins to feel more European in a lot of respects: The scenery, the road that consists of a tunnel cut into the side of a mountain, and above all the city of Lestallum itself. With its tall stone buildings, bustling open markets, and lived-in feel, Lestallum seems most heavily inspired by the cities of Italy and the south of France.

This doesn't cause the game to feel incoherent or patchwork. On the contrary, it simply makes FFXV's world feel larger and more varied. There's that trick in open-world games where traveling the equivalent of a real-world trip to the mall can feel like a huge, rambling journey, and Lestallum is separated from the lowlands by winding, indirect roads that add more transit time to your drive. You can't simply cut cross-country to get there, even by chocobo: A massive chasm separates Lestallum from the southern reaches of Duscae, forcing you to take the long route. Again, like the limitations on fast-travel, this is one of those design decisions that seems potentially counterintuitive or even annoying on the face of it, but which in practice helps to better define the game world's sense of place.

2. The Cup Noodles thing is weird

A few real-world brands show up in FFXV, and it doesn't quite work. We all got a laugh about the Coleman camping equipment (which is still present from the Episode Duscae demo), but the prominence of Cup Noodles — you know, the instant ramen snack — feels pretty out of place. Especially in Lestallum, where a Cup Noodles food truck sits prominently on the main thoroughfare, prompts a conversation within the party, and inspires Ignis to add Cup Noodles to his repertoire of recipes. It's not bad, just a little silly and conspicuous.

Like all good photographers, Prompto recognizes the aesthetic value of the Golden Hour.

3. Fast travel exists, just not the way it does in most open-world games

After my last write-up, several people contacted me to let me know that Final Fantasy XV does have fast travel. So, my apologies: It seems I wasn't entirely clear about the way it works here. Basically, fast travel works, but only if you're in your car. You can pay to jump immediately to your car, or to have your car warped to where your party's current location. Once in your car, you can pay a nominal fee to jump immediately to another destination.

But, again, those shortcuts only allow you to go where your car can: To cities, rest stops, or roadside parking spots. You have to travel the rest of the way by foot or via chocobo. So while the game does include a time-saving shortcut, it's essentially a fast-forward for the standard automatic car navigation system that already exists. In other words, FFXV doesn't want to let its road trip metaphor slip: Travel centers around Regalia, and anywhere you can't get by car requires slugging it on foot.

Jump to: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3

• Avatar for VotesForCows #1 VotesForCows 10 months ago
    I'm looking forward to this so much I decided to cancel my NES-mini order to save cash. Cannot wait!

Jeremy, will you have to start from scratch when you get the retail release?
    This sounds promising... Let FF be great again !
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #3 jeremy.parish 10 months ago
    @VotesForCows Yes, which is why I stopped here.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #5 VotesForCows 10 months ago
    @cldmstrsn Its done. Now the only thing to distract me from FFXV is FFXIV...
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #6 VotesForCows 10 months ago
    @jeremy.parish That's a bummer, especially with an RPG. But I suppose there are worse fates!
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #7 jeremy.parish 10 months ago
    @VotesForCows It's cool, I have a better handle on the systems now. Sometime I restart games like this after a few hours to enjoy a smoother ride once I fully come to terms with their inner workings, so this isn't a huge inconvenience for me.
    I'm glad to hear that the hunts are back in full force. That is one of my favorite parts of Final Fantasy XII. (The "hunts" in Final Fantasy XIII were...okay, but it was weird picking them up from C'ieth (however you spell that...) stone...) I'm quite excited for this game. It seems to be turning into what I was hoping.
    Goodbye December...Edited 2 times. Last edited November 2016 by jeffcorry
    Seeing Parish sing the game's praises is about as surprising as... well, the fact that this game is actually seeing the light of day. Good news all around!
    @tigergt33 Hey now, FFXIV is great. Really great. Don't write it off just because it's an MMO! It's as much FF as any game in the series... and is loaded with even more fan service than all the spinoffs, to boot!
    "The final game does away with that and simply provides you with four weapon selections tied to the D-pad: Press the appropriate direction and you will swap to that weapon for use until you switch around again."

I'm so glad they made this change. The Duscae version was clunky and frankly inhibited creativity with the combos. Now I can mix and match as much as I want!

Oh, and it looks like Gladiolus' sister will be joining for a little bit. That's a nice touch.Edited 2 times. Last edited November 2016 by NateDizzy
    Dammit, Parish, you're getting me excited about this game. I wanted to maintain an attitude of casual indifference!
    @jeremy.parish I think virtually every person I know who enjoyed Vagrant Story (myself included) had to start over (but enjoyed it) once they figured out how damage types, affinities, buffs, etc. worked. They weren't common mechanics back then. Ahh Matsuno..Edited November 2016 by Kadrom
    So the Witcher III and GTA V but set in the Final Fantasy universe? They should put that in the box. :-)

It all sounds great and really makes me excited not only for this game but for the future of the Final Fantasy franchise. Really looking forward to it.
    Sooo.. FFXV is a return to form for the series?

Whoa. This just might be the first FF game I'll be buying in years. (WoFF is still kind of iffy for me since I'm not really keen on Pokemon)
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #15 Jeremiah-Jones 10 months ago
    Not realizing Prompto was an actual character, his selfie skills almost remind me of a looser form of FFXII's gambits. You give him orders, and he then does them at random. I'm looking forward to messing around with it.
    Nicely done,@jeremy.parish. I always enjoy reading your thoughtful pieces. This one was particularly enjoyable and informative. Thank you!

FFXV is now back on my "excited about" list.
    I really enjoyed these in-depth pieces Jeremy wrote, thanks. While I won’t be able to play the game when it launches, I really hope it turns out well. These previews make me more confident that it might indeed.
    I really enjoyed this whole series, Jeremy. Thanks for sharing so much! I'm excited to check out the game. I ended up pre-ordering, because all the things you've covered hit all the right notes for me. Plus, it's hard not to be excited about a new, big FF - especially when it has a 10-year waiting period!
  • Avatar for Taylorshaw151 #19 Taylorshaw151 A month ago
    I really like the game very much it’s really is a pretty addictive game. It is undoubtedly one of the best action RPG game developed with insane texture and detailing. While playing a game if you have a better idea of the story then the game play becomes more interesting and enjoyable. Small Prefab Home

Comments