Why Hearthstone is Blizzard's Next Blockbuster

Blizzard's new collectible digital card game is an absolute blast to play... but be warned. It's phenomenally addictive too.

Preview by Jaz Rignall, .

Hearthstone is a dangerous game. Dangerous, as in “highly addictive." I started playing it on Saturday, and was up until the early hours of Sunday morning playing it. And when I woke up earlier today, I started playing again because… well… I just needed to make sure I was really familiar with it before writing this short preview. And if anyone thinks that's a flimsy excuse to justify extending my play time into work hours, I’m pleading the 5th.

If you haven’t seen it yet, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, to use its full name, is Blizzard’s up-and-coming money-printing machine, cleverly disguised as a collectible digital card game. While World of Warcraft still represents one of the fattest-uddered cash cows in the industry, even the most hardcore of hardcore fans are beginning to admit that its best times are behind it. Ie, someone like me, who still puts in a couple of hours a day playing it. I love the game, but like a dear old pet whose days are numbered, I’m enjoying it while it lasts.

Hearthstone takes its premise from that game and combines it with many fundamental Magic the Gathering card game mechanics to create something that simultaneously feels very familiar, but also very new. If you’ve played MTG, you’ll recognize the similarities instantly: but what Blizzard has done is made it faster, simpler and more immediate.

Drawn from World of Warcraft's classes, Hearthstone features nine different heroes, each of which facilitates a different style of play.

It’s a one vs one game in which players use pre-built decks of cards to summon creatures and use spells to beat each other down. That’s the basic description, in the same way that poker is a game of 52 cards, and chess is a board game with 32 pieces. Making the game more interesting is the fact that Hearthstone features classes from World of Warcraft, each with their own unique cards that only they can cast. These can be combined with regular cards everyone can use to create decks that play in similar style to their respective WoW class. This enables players to build around playstyles that range from aggressive and direct through defensive to tricksy and annoying. And if you’ve played Magic, all this will make total sense.

The game starts you off with a basic deck, and as you work your way through the rather nicely designed tutorial, you win more cards. Complete that, and you can continue to practice against AI opponents, which you can unlock by beating them. And so it goes, with you earning more cards and slowly unlocking all the classes until you have what feels like a really impressive collection of stuff to play with…

…until you realize that while the cards you’re winning are cool and all, the really kick-ass ones are only available from packs that are acquired either by playing the game a lot and building up enough in-game currency to buy them one at a time – or by opening your wallet and using real-life currency to buy as many as you can afford RIGHT NOW. And hark! Is that the sound of the cash machine being wheeled into the room? Indeed it is. Which is why Hearthstone gives you a taste for free – because if you’re in any way competitive and enjoy the game, it’s very difficult to resist the temptation to buy at least a few packs.

Hearthstone plays like a faster, easier version of Magic the Gathering. The excellent tutorial gets you up to speed very quickly... but while it's easy to learn, the game has phenomenal depth.

While many will wring their hands and curse Blizzard to the skies for robbing them blind, most will simply get on with buying and building decks and having a ball. Because like Magic the Gathering – which I believe is quite possibly the greatest game ever designed – Hearthstone is really, really, REALLY fun. If you’re a Warcraft player, you’ll nerd out over all the clever visual, aural and lore-based details, while those unfamiliar with Warcraft can simply enjoy a fast, immediate, highly competitive and enjoyable collectible card game. And if you’re a Magic player, you’ll immediately feel at home and say, “ah Blizzard, I see what you did there.”

Since this is not yet a review, I’ll hold off on waxing too lyrical – but holy hot damn. I’ve already spent my own money on it – and, yes, this is Beta – because when Hearthstone goes live, I’ll get my money back as “store credit” so I can repurchase whatever cards I've already bought.

Yeah. I’m already sold. Doh.

I've been enjoying Duel of Champions and SolForge lately, both of which have some interesting mechanics to them. I'm interested in trying Hearthstone, but paying $2 per attempt at Arena mode is really unappealing to me. Didn't like it in Magic 2014, either, and I hope it doesn't become a trend.
    The game looks like a lot of fun. I've managed to avoid playing a CCG up until the little mini-game in Rage that got me hooked. I looked into MtG and a few others, but they all share the same problem I have with a lot of abusive F2P models. The price to attain the majority of content necessary to be competitive vastly outweighs the amount of effort and capital that went into making the content, and if you don't grind a ridiculous amount or pay up a big chunk, you're left on a very uneven playing field against the people that support it. At least with physical card games the pricing is more understandable due to production, marketing and distribution costs.

I just want a fun online competitive CCG where everyone has access to all of the cards from the go. Or even better, something like Rage that is has an ingame CCG where the cards are collectible items in the world and you can play against others in the game or maybe online. Is the CCG market so entrenched in this economic model that there's little hope for a game like that?
    beta key...yesss...need a beta key...
    Can I ask for a spare beta key please?...
    I love this game. Thanks.
    dangal movie updates and all the latest dangal bollywood gossips
  • Avatar for shahzaibsoomro69 #7 shahzaibsoomro69 A month ago
    Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and new initiatives in the same niche. Blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job!

Corporate Gifts Singapore
    You completed a few fine points hop over to https://paydayloanshelp.net there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog.
    Kudos ! This will be the perfect blog for anyone who desires to discover about this topic and I feel pleasure to view your website. Thanks for sharing such an informative information in a gentle manner. Moreover, this site earned good Alexa rank !! Keep it up and all the best. regards, Achukuttan@ tango for pc
  • Avatar for shahzaibsoomro69 #10 shahzaibsoomro69 A month ago
    My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more!

Tour Supreme
    Fast and Furious 8 Movie and the wallpaper of fast and furious 8
    Kaabil Movie review and release date
  • Avatar for shahzaibsoomro69 #13 shahzaibsoomro69 6 days ago
    I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post.download software
  • Avatar for shahzaibsoomro69 #14 shahzaibsoomro69 4 days ago
    The worst part of it was that the software only worked intermittently and the data was not accurate. You obviously canot confront anyone about what you have discovered if the information is not right voyance par telephone gratuite
  • Avatar for shahzaibsoomro69 #15 shahzaibsoomro69 4 days ago
    Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more postsby you!
    download software
  • Avatar for manoobilli219 #16 manoobilli219 3 days ago
    Deleted 3 days ago by manoobilli219
  • Avatar for manoobilli219 #17 manoobilli219 3 days ago
    Everything is best in this movie, but other movies some time reflection not done properly.
    Dailymotion video downloader

Try http://dailymotionvideodownloaders.com to download videos from
    Dailymotion