How Come Europe Gets Such a Cool Metroid: Samus Returns Special Edition?

What gives?

News by Matt Kim, .

North American gamers often get to enjoy video games in a way that some other countries can't. Namely in how video games that come out in the United States aren't usually censored or prohibitively expensive. However, Europe gets this sweet special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns and that stings a little.

Nintendo of Europe revealed the continent's special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns which includes a steelbook case that looks like the original Metroid 2 Gameboy cartridge, a morph-ball keychain, an insignia coin, a 40-page artbook, a digital code for Metroid 2 ont he Nintendo 3DS, and a soundtrack.

Metroid: Samus Returns Special Edition

By contrast, the special edition for Metroid: Samus Returns for North America as well as the rest of the world comes with... just the soundtrack.

While we should all be grateful that Samus is back at long last, and sure, the soundtrack is cool and Metroid has amazing music. I just still can't help but look at Europe (and that sweet steelbook case) without envy and longing.

Hopefully the rest of the world will get a cool Metroid Prime 4 collector's edition, unless Europe decides to be the sole home of all cool things Metroid.

On the plus side, at least I won't end up spending extra mkney on stuff I don't really need. Uh, the 3DS is region-locked, right?
    This because of the pushback on Federation Force, isn't it?
    @Daikaiju "If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
    Karmic payback for decades of terrible PAL ports?
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #6 WiIIyTheAntelope 3 months ago
    They've been getting all the cool stuff lately. I just had to import the Wipeout collection to get the PS1 throwback slipcover. I don't think the US got the steelbook edition either iirc.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #7 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 months ago
    The fact it doesn't come with a physical copy of the game negates the sting a little, I guess. But at the same time, wtf do you do with a SteelBook case with nothing to go in it?
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #8 KaiserWarrior 3 months ago
    @LBD_Nytetrayn It does come with a physical copy (note the 3DS game case on the lower right). The digital code is for the 3DS Virtual Console version of the original Metroid II: Return of Samus Gameboy game.

Because yeah, they really went all-out for the European special edition. I'm jealous as hell.
    I would pay the hell out of this and that's coming from a guy who made the mistake (maybe it wasn't a mistake because I love Ys!) of buying a Vita over a 3DS. And let me tell you, it takes a lot to make me envy a game for a platform I don't own.
  • Avatar for bring_on_branstons #10 bring_on_branstons 3 months ago
    @swamped I feel your pain America... Swamped is right... for YEARS and YEARS during the late 80's and 90's Europe always came in a distant third after Japan and then America when it came to releases. Our PAL TV system meant games ran slower and had a squashed image (until companies started optimising games in the N64 era). We had to wait years and years for games to be released on the NES and SNES. Hell we didn't even get all the cool games you guys got - SNES Earthbound and Super Mario RPG for eg were never released in Europe (yes yes I know we got a few odd games other regions didn't get but still!)
    You have no idea how hard it was as a Nintendo fan growing up in Europe and having to wait what seemed like a lifetime for stuff to eventually be released over here and all the great stuff you guys had, drooling over news and screenshots of Super Mario 3 and more when we were still on SMB1...
    Weirdly the situation has completely reversed in recent years with a lot of games getting a release in Europe before America... which just proves the situation hasn't got better!
    Sort it out Nintendo - give everyone parity!!!! :(Edited 2 times. Last edited June 2017 by bring_on_branstons
    As a European, man stop complaining, you guys have gotten 99% of all the cool special editions.

This and the normal sized New 3DS. That's all we have
  • Avatar for rebeccaharwick47 #12 rebeccaharwick47 3 months ago
    It's because the game's being developed in Spain by MercurySteam.
    To be fair, Nintendo of Europe will likely release about 12 copies of this across the entirety of Europe. It's really cool, though, and I look forward to fighting tooth and nail to get my copy.
  • Avatar for JamesSwiftDay #14 JamesSwiftDay 3 months ago
    How come it's taken this long for the UK and Europe to get anything better than America or Japan, you mean?
    I want that key chain.
    i didn't hear you guys complain when you got a superior Zelda BOW switch special edition ;)
  • Avatar for MekkaGodzilla #17 MekkaGodzilla 3 months ago
    @LBD_Nytetrayn It's a download code for the Virtual Console Metroid 2
    It's strange. Japan is getting the same thing NA is getting.

I would like to say that nobody wants soundtrack CDs anymore. I'd rather have digital tracks.
    @themblan : I like having physical discs, myself. Of course, I do rip them immediately after that, but still.
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #20 KaiserWarrior 3 months ago
    @themblan I much prefer physical discs.

Because if I really want digital tracks, I can rip my physical discs into digital tracks. And then I also have a nice little physical item that looks good on a shelf, and won't ever have licensing issues.
    I can think of a handful of European releases I was jealous of in the US. The Last Window (negligible as DS was region-free)... Shenmue on Dreamcast... This...

Uhhh yeah that's basically it. Can't begrudge you guys this one.Edited June 2017 by swamped
    Compensation was far overdue! We've been treated so badly by Nintendo back in the NES and SNES days. Especially missing out on all the great RPG's (Final Fanty, Dragon Quest, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, ... to name only a few) ;)

Comments