How to Get a Shiny Pokemon In Pokemon X and Y

Want a team bursting with shiny Pokemon? Here are three ways to make it happen!

Guide by Cassandra Khaw, .

Pokemon is serious business. You enslave them. You breed them. You coerce them into waging wars they have no stake in. But as serious as Game Freak's much beloved simulacrum of antagonistic animal husbandry can be, it pales in comparison to the gravitas of distinguishing yourself from the plebeian masses. Everyone knows that there can only be one Pokemon master.

Still, with more than four million copies of the latest iteration already sold, how does one make one's star shine brighter? Building the ultimate team takes time, effort and research while bribing the Elite Four in exchange for validation would probably require at least a fair understanding of transdimensional travel. In light of all that, here's my suggestion:

Get a shiny Pokemon.

Heck, why stop there? Get a full team. Bewilder your opponents with aesthetic opulence. Humble them with this testament to your luck and determination. Pizzazz wins battles, not hard work and skill. If you're new to the Pokemon franchise and have no idea what I'm talking about, shiny Pokemon are like the Holy Grail (except more accessible and arguably less useful.) In terms of function, they're identical to their more pedestrian cousins. Looks-wise, however, that's where it gets interesting. Shiny Pokemon are uniformly of a weird, often striking pigmentation. And sparkly. Slightly.

As you may have already deduced, they're also ridiculously rare. The chances of breeding a shiny or discovering one in the wild is a dismal 1/8192. Fortunately, there are several ways to circumnavigate the appalling odds.

Breeding for Success

Named after Game Freak director Junichi Masuda, the Masuda Method is a technique that was implemented as an attempt to encourage players to perform more transcontinental trades. Smogon University, a website dedicated to the fine art of competitive Pokemon battling, was the first to figure out the method and breeders everywhere have been using it ever since. Just how good is this technique? With the help of the Masuda method, the chances of breeding a shiny Pokemon in Generation IV were increased by 5. By the next iteration, that success rate had shot up to 6 - a definite improvement over the baseline. Unfortunately, though many claim it's still a viable strategy, no official word has been released in regards to whether or not the Masuda Method can still be utilized in the current-gen Pokemon games and if the success rate has escalated even further.

For those willing to risk it, the Masuda Method is pretty simple: breed two Pokemon from different geographical backgrounds(The little tags next to their names will inform you exactly where they're from) together.

That's really it. At least, in regards to necessary knowledge. There's a thread on Smogon that unpacks the exact mechanics behind it; you can read it if you're keen on understanding specifics.

Now, go have your Pokemon make beautiful music together

Don't break the chain!

'Chaining' Pokemon can be a frustrating chore. If you're good, it can be a short-cut to triumph. If you're not, it might be a broken 3DS screen. The idea behind chaining is reflective of its name: it's the act of meeting the same Pokemon, again and again, in unbroken succession. Purportedly, doing so will significantly increase the success rate of encountering a shiny Pokemon, raising the odds from a horrific 1/8192 to a far more palatable 1/200.

Though guides on chaining are plentiful, u/Cpctherman from Reddit's dissertation on the process is one of the better ones I've read. (Smogon's guide is even more educational but also exponentially more ponderous a read.) The general gist of it, for those who would rather keep it simple, is this:

• You need a PokeRadar, which is only available after the Elite Four.
  • Super repels are essential. Your "chain" can be broken if you run into a Pokemon other than the one you're hunting.
  • Always try to find a patch of grass that is at least 5vs5.
  • Make sure all your transportation devices have been put away. Do not skate or cycle through the grass.
  • When you use the PokeRadar, you'll see patches of grass shake. Take note of whether it is a gentle gyration or something more vigorous.
  • When you find the Pokemon you're attempting to chain, knock it out and be sure to walk into patches that reverberate the same way as the swathe of green that surrendered the initial Pokemon.
  • Only enter patches that are at least 4 spaces horizontally or vertically from you.
  • Remember to reset your PokeRadar if you KO a Pokemon on the edge of your chosen field.
  • Don't get overambitious. You only need to succeed at getting a chain of 40. After that, you just have to reset your PokeRadar till you discover a shiny patch - pleasant sounds will indicate its manifestation.
  • Make you sure you can actually catch the shiny when you find it. I recommend not being a miser with the Pokeballs.

If landbound Pokemon don't float your boat, you can opt out and go fish instead. Performing a fishing chain is questionably easier. Once you've succeeded in getting the fisherman from Route 16 to divulge that rare Pokemon can be acquired through consecutive fishing, you can be on your way. What you have to do then is ensure that you do not move from your fishing spot as any superfluous motion will break your streak. Pulling the rod too early or failing to get a nibble will also destroy your chances. Needless to say, having a Pokemon with Suction Cups as your lead Pokemon is a good idea. Confused? Here's a helpful video:

Carry a four-leaf clover

In real life. Not in the game. In real life. While you're at it, you may also want to solicit the services of a Maneki Neko, get a rabbit to donate a foot and attempt prayer. Because having Lady Luck smile on you is the only other way you're going to get those shiny Pokemon, folks!

(Don't hurt me.)

Discovered the consecutive fishy for shinies a few days ago on GameFAQS. Tried it out and got to a streak of 58 without getting a shiny before I messed up. T_T

Haven't gathered the patience to try past 20 since, but I shall get my first shiny someday...
    "Show the world you're the one true Pokemon Master than with a team of shiny Pokemon."

There's a typo here after 'Pokemon Master'. I think you should want to drop the 'than' (presumably a remnant from some different phrasing of the sentence).
  • Avatar for cassandrakhaw #3 cassandrakhaw 3 years ago
    @Giever THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER EDIT HALF-ASLEEP. (Thanks! Fixed that.)
  • Avatar for cassandrakhaw #4 cassandrakhaw 3 years ago
    @LunarKnite The Masuda Method sounds like it may be more tolerable. At least, it's something that won't make you actively hate yourself a lot. :C
    @cassandrakhaw Tried it again and got to 51 before accidentally pressing the button too fast. Still no shiny. You may be right, but at least this way is more interactive than running around to hatch eggs.
  • Avatar for joshnickerson #6 joshnickerson 3 years ago
    I remember after clearing nearly all of Diamond, I decided to delve into Shiny hunting and EV training...

Until I found out exactly what it involved. Who has the time for this kind of stuff? Kudos to those who manage to do all this, but still... geez.
  • Avatar for cassandrakhaw #7 cassandrakhaw 3 years ago
    @joshnickerson o_o Forget THAT, I want to know how and why people took the time to find these things /and/ verify the science of it works.
    www.poketracer.com may help!
    Used the encounter power and the Pokemon with suction cups...and my fourth try with the chain fishing, on battle number 13 & 22, I got a shiney horsea and skrelp (respectively)
  • Avatar for kyletolbert36 #10 kyletolbert36 3 years ago
    I caught a shiny dragalge after 13 casts! I've spent over 300 hours trying the Masuda method and it kind of upsets me that I got a shiny that fast fishing. But I am not complaining, considering this is my first shiny (excluding the red gyarados) also I did have an inkay in my party. Maybe you could post some good fishing spots you know of?Edited December 2013 by kyletolbert36
  • Avatar for tammyireland40 #11 tammyireland40 3 years ago
    best chaining spots?
    Masuda Method is my favorite. I got a Shiny Phantump from an egg on my first try.
  • Avatar for soullessunitato #13 soullessunitato 3 years ago
    I'm really loving the shinies in X and Y. This is legitimately the only Pokemon game where I actually managed to get shinies on my own. I have 5, 2 of them are in Black, 1 from the GTS (Charizard) and 1 from a trade with an old internet friend of mine (Alakazam). The other 3 are in X. I have a shiny Octillery from chain fishing, an Umbreon from Masuda Method, and a Kirlia from Wonder Trade.

I'd say my favorite is Masuda, because you don't have to focus so much on it, you can kind of zone out while you're hatching eggs, listen to music, watch TV, even play another game, because you only need to focus once the eggs start to hatch. The amount of eggs depends, but I got my Eevee on egg #260, which is considerably long for Masuda, actually. Most people I heard of got under 100. But I can say the increased odds do help, I tried in Black, I got like 300 eggs hatched and nothing, but I got something in X, so yaaaaaaay. :p

Now, chainfishing is cool too. This is the thing, is that the shinies never come when you expect them. I had just been derping around with my rod in Azure Bay when I found a shiny Remoraid. I had a chain of 10-30 and I was kind of shocked. One of my friends actually got a Luvdisc from chaining yesterday, and he only had a chain of 2! I'm not certain of the exact figures, but my guess is that that's practically the same odds as a random encounter.
    There was also that one from Wonder Trade, too. That was just a good luck day for me, I was in Wonder Trade at the right time and got matched with the right person. I had just hatched shiny Eevee the day before and I was clearing out my boxes and BAM! Shiny Ralts. I'm gonna have to Masuda Breed more often.
    I've never gotten a shiny from chains or RAs before. I have this possible bug with my game where after I KO a Pokemon in a chain sometimes, the radar music just stops and the regular route music plays, breaking my chain for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. I don't do anything, I SWEAR it's my game glitching. Because of that bug, I don't chain in grass much. And random enounters... you don't even know how bad my luck is with RNGS, do you!? Hehe.
    Well, maybe my luck is looking up. I mean, I just got 3 shinies in 1 month, 2 in 2 days! All these people are saying finding shinies is too easy now. Listen, now the odds of shinies are high enough to be rare, but low enough for me to actually get some of the love as well. I'm working on more Masuda Breeding (for Vulpix this time), and it's really not that stressful, so when in doubt, hatch eggs! Then Wonder Trade them for more shinies!! :p
  • Dont ask me how, but I got a shiny clauncher in 2 tries for the chain fishing option. I was at the top left area of cyllage city in one of the glittery spots near the rocks. I think I used an old rod and the clauncher is now up for trade my trainer is Phosphora (duh) if you want it my friend code is 2062 - 9640 - 0606

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    YOU get a ride in the TARDIS, YOU get a ride in the TARDIS, EVERYONE GETS A RIDE IN THE TARDIS!Edited July 2014 by Phosphoradapokemonsu
  • @tammyireland40 let us see, the purple flower patch in route 5, the giant yellow patch in Pokemon Village and other big patches of tall grass are good for the PokeRadar and small, rocky and unnoticeable places where there are sparkly tiles are good for chain fishing. I got a shiny clauncher at cyllage city in the rocky part of the top left area.
    @zencharm
    So you like hatching eggs...

You must be very luck or something, because I've been trying for a shiny piplup recently.
    845 eggs and counting, still no shinys.

...and that's just on Piplup. If you count ALL of the eggs, then you're looking at around 3,000. XD

Well, I guess winning shinys from drawing contests will have to do...

... for now.
  • Avatar for karaleesears14 #17 karaleesears14 2 years ago
    @Phosphoradapokemonsu mine is 4914-4582-8530 under either Kara or Karalee if you wanna add me... ^^
  • Avatar for ethanswinehart79 #18 ethanswinehart79 2 years ago