If you're part of the (relatively) small demographic that is still patiently waiting for Grand Theft Auto V to hit the PC, you're missing out. I hope you know there. Somewhere, out there, thousands of people are taking part in a cultural phenomenon while you're sitting there twiddling your thumbs. I may be a little bitter. I may also be a card-carrying member of the 'When is GTA V going to be available on Steam?!' club.
But here's a spot of bright news for Minecraft players. Though it's hardly going to be comparable to the real thing, there's always the option of modding your next server so it looks a lot more like the real deal. For those who don't want to spend too much time thinking about it, Youtuber TheDiamondMinecraft has an absolutely stellar collection of mod recommendations themed around that sleazy, no-holds barred world we all know and love.
The core essentials include:
- Zan's Minimap : What Grand Theft Auto game is complete without a mini map?
- Damage Indicators : Hearts are nice and all but that's more Minecraft than third-person 'be a mean-spirited git' simulator.
- Animated Player: Look, I totally get it. You like Minecraft the way Italians like their pizza: clean and unbastardized. However, Animated player is a necessity. Grand Theft Auto wouldn't be the same if you couldn't see the way Trevor makes funny faces. The same goes with Grand Theft Minecraft, folks.
- Flan's Mod: This is just a madhouse of guns, planes, vehicles and prickling of other stuff. Go to the link. Read it. Be awed. (Then go download it.)
- THX Helicopters: Helicopters.
- Cars Mod : Like cars, guys. Cars. Need I say more?
- Oh, and The Survival Games: San Andreas edition.
Want to take it a little bit further? There's a slightly ho-hum skin series dedicated to the three protagonists in GTA V. It's not the most polished mod I've seen, but it may help add to the immersion. If you're feeling more leisurely and don't want to deal with an onslaught of Creepers, you may want to check out this excellent version of Franklin's Pad. More excitingly, it looks like there's a bunch of people aiming to make bigger scale projects. For example, someone out there is currently working on building a full-blown, 1:1 scale of San Andreas. We also have a work-in-progress Los Santos. But the one that has me most pumped is Mine Theft Auto. The features list is to die for. According to the Minecraft forum thread, it will include:
- The ability to purchase actual houses.
- Weapons to purchase at a custom-made Ammu Nation
- A 'well-organized' economy for players with a lottery system thrown in for good measure.
- The option to decide whether you'd want to be a cop or a civilian.
- Wanted levels
- Cars that can be driven, raced, destroyed and stolen.
- And 'an amazingly fast server' so that your hellion ways can go uncurbed by Internet latency.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.