I Am Setsuna Director: "We'd Consider the Vita Version for the U.S."

As usual, it's a question of demand.

News by Kat Bailey, .

Square Enix confirmed yesterday that I Am Setsuna will be arriving on North American shores, but with one notable omission: the Vita version will be staying in Japan. Instead, Square Enix is porting their RPG to Steam. Square Enix isn't totally closing the door on a North American Vita release, though.

I had a chance to interview I Am Setsuna director Atsushi Hashimoto at GDC today; and as we were wrapping up, I noted the disappointment by some fans in North America that the Vita version isn't coming west. He replied that Project Setsuna was ultimately developed with the big screen in mind, but added, "Of course, there is a large Vita market in Japan. If there is a swell of demand in North America [for the Vita version], though, we will consider it."

Unlikely, maybe, but it's nice to know that Square Enix is at least keeping the option open. It was just a couple years ago that fan demand pushed Square Enix to dust off Final Fantasy Type-0 and port it to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

""After you guys posted that article, we started to receive a lot of inquiries at Square Enix, and I started to directly hear our fans' voices," director Hajime Tabata told us in a PAX Prime interview that year. "Without that, and without the influx of demands and requests that we received, this probably would have never happened. And it's because of the fans being vocal about wanting this overseas that it was easier to convince [Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda]. The entire Type-0 development team was also fully onboard to deliver this, and that's how we were able to bring it over to next-gen devices. I'm very appreciative of that."

Of course, at the end of the day, it's the publisher's call whether or not the Vita version of I Am Setsuna ends up heading west. But if fans speak loudly enough in favor of a portable version, it appears that Square Enix is listening.

I Am Setsuna will be out on Steam and PlayStation 4 this summer. Look forward to my interview with Hashimoto later this week on our RPG podcast, Axe of the Blood God.

Well here is to hoping but I would really want a physical release and if not I am fine with just getting it on PS4 so that I could almost have it on my Vita via remote play.
    Don't have a PS4 but am building my new desktop next month so I don't really know. I might actually get the Vita version since I'm planning on buying the Vita version of World of Final Fantasy which still looks great. Honestly its really based on how well the PC port is. SE is iffy when it comes to PC ports. With them just putting the mobile versions on Steam being one of the worse thing to befall man.
    He says that while ignoring the original Square Enix Tweet that caused a fair-sized shitstorm (I stopped counting at 150 requests for the Vita version)... its not rocket science guys! That and the responses to the stories on Kotaku and so on really should have given Square a fair-sized hint already.
    I'd rather have a physical release over Vita support (but I don't own a Vita, maybe someday!) and if/when I do get one, I'd prolly buy this game twice (PS4 & Vita) if it was good enough!
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #5 SatelliteOfLove 11 months ago
    Welcome to the slow shuffling off of a dying platform.

We've all been down this road before.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #6 brionfoulke91 11 months ago
    This is good news, but I am with everyone else... I'd rather have a physical release. ANY physical release. If the Vita version were the only physical release I would buy that one.
  • Avatar for modernlove69 #7 modernlove69 11 months ago
    I would 100% buy this on Vita!
    Im not on social media, will they accept a request by email?
  • Avatar for naazimeaala75 #9 naazimeaala75 11 months ago
    What happened to Adventures of Mana? There was such a fans demand for the Vita version on Twitter!!
    While portability would be nice, unless they can fix the framerate and loading issues I could personally care less about whether the Vita version is localized or not. I own a PS4, and I'm glad we're at least getting that version as well as a Steam release.
    Is there going to be a written version of the Hashimoto interview?
  • Avatar for willianwarner13 #12 willianwarner13 7 months ago
    Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me please? lesnar vs hunt
  • Avatar for willianwarner13 #13 willianwarner13 7 months ago
    its really fantastic blog . its realy informational and a such a good job. i love this how to win your ex back
  • Avatar for willianwarner13 #14 willianwarner13 7 months ago
    I just thought it may be an idea to post incase anyone else was having problems researching but I am a little unsure if I am allowed to put names and addresses on here. xtreme fat loss diet
  • Avatar for willianwarner13 #15 willianwarner13 7 months ago
    Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work! Luccas Oliveria CEO of The Design Oasis
  • Avatar for willianwarner13 #16 willianwarner13 7 months ago
    Once I thought about things like: why such information is for free here? Because when you write a book then at least on selling a book you get a percentage. Thank you and good luck on informing people more about it! sarkari results
    Good stuff. Deciding whether to get for PS or PC. I don't think it will really matter all that much. Honestly will have to wait, so busy being a CT wedding photographers but I can't wait to just start playing.
  • Avatar for merrychristmas #18 merrychristmas A month ago
    Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love this

Comments