Inkling Girl No Longer Gestures "Up Yours" in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Squid ladies who make rude gestures get sent back to driving school.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe received an update patch this morning, bringing it up to v1.1. A few performance issues were tightened up, and a few graphical improvements were made. Also, the Inkling Girl no longer gestures "up yours" when she wins a race.

Yes, the Inkling Girl was forced to spend some time in the Shame Corner before v1.1 of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe dropped. Now, when she wins a race, she pumps her fist instead of performing a lusty "bras d'honneur gesture.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Review

Nintendo puts the finishing touches on an already excellent game.

Eurogamer explains that the bras d'honneur is considered quite offensive in much of Europe and Latin America. Pft. What do they know. They're only based in Europe.

In all seriousness, the bras d'honneur isn't exactly considered a polite gesture in North America, either. It's part of Bowser's victory pose in Super Mario RPG, and it was removed when the game was localized for the US (Europe didn't receive Super Mario RPG at all until it came to the Wii Virtual Console in 2008). I'm not surprised Inkling Girl's "special hello" was pulled.

Eurogamer also explains the pose is considered "victorious" in Japan, and not necessarily offensive. If that's the case, it's a weird coincidence that the sassy characters from Japanese-made games are typically the ones that tell the players to shove their victory / loss up their collective anus, e.g. Bowser, Inkling Girl, and Kanji from Persona 4.

Kanji's not a nice boy.

At least the bras d'honneur isn't as crass as Waluigi instructing the world to chomp on his dingle after he scores a goal in 2005's Super Mario Strikers.

Aside from Inkling Girl being taught some manners in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's v1.1 update, here's what else is on the menu:

• Online opponents' names are displayed in the rear-view mirror.
  • You get a longer invincibility period when you spin-out or crash in online matches.
  • Up to two players can spectate a match while waiting to join.
  • "Worldwide" and "Regional" modes don't add players to Mirror or 200 cc matches as often.
  • You can now properly make a friend lobby when you have 100 or more friends.
  • The starting positions in the online races now reflect the order in which the players join.
  • Driver Miis have proper facial expressions, fixing a problem Caty brought up a while ago.
  • The tournament clock now reflects real-world time correctly.

Now get out there and do some racing. No more obscene gestures, all right? Well, except towards your friend sitting beside you on the couch. That is OK.

I still haven't gotten a good bead on what Wario says when you select him but it REALLY sounds like "Sig Hiel."
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #2 Tetragrammaton 6 months ago
    "Online opponents names shown in the rearview mirror".

Nintendo making sure that you know exactly who you can taunt after crossing the finish line?
    @qwilman Yeah, I wondered about this as well actually. I mean, he is a villain with a moustache, and it's not like Japan appears to have the same kind of, well, 'political correct distance' to WWII history, as let's say, Germany. Still, I seriously doubt that what I'm hearing is what he is actually saying :-)
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #4 UnskippableCutscene 6 months ago
    I've seen this gesture appear in the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh, but obviously that production has the budget of a couple cookies and a six-pack of Surge.
    Rosie the Riveter!
    oh it's got the same meaning as the middle finger? I led a training session at work today and did that pose to tell people they got it right.

Not even making this up.

Oops lol
    Best headline I've read in a good while :D
    I had no idea Waluigi was part of D-Generation X until now. Good on you, USG!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #9 VotesForCows 6 months ago
    What I'm taking away from this is the knowledge that this is not offensive in the US. I'll be using it extensively if I ever go there!
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #10 Lord-Bob-Bree 6 months ago
    Huh, here I thought it was just "yeah, check out my awesome muscles".
    So she was forced to show an inkling of respect.
    @Ralek Like that can't possibly be what it is but I haven't heard anyone even suggest what else it could be.
    Yes yes it is strangely strange to someone so big and strange ears, yes I think she is feels good tony toni tone
  • Avatar for richardgately #14 richardgately 3 months ago
    this gesture i think i saw in Yu-Gi Oh but not really sure.. but will surely miss it here on. obviously its an amazing thing to to watch it. by the way am new here and dont know how to find new games that worth playing and passing time. just like in boom beach i invest lots of my time getting hack for boom beach diamonds and it worth the well.

Comments