Interview Confirms Mega Man 7 was Developed in 3 Months

At least trench warfare makes for good camaraderie.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

I'm USgamer's resident Mega Man goof, so maybe it won't surprise you too much to learn I'm quite fond of Mega Man 7. I even said as much in my review of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2.

Mega Man 7 isn't a widely-loved entry in the series, though. The late SNES release was the only classic 16-bit entry for the Blue Bomber, and the system is generally remembered as the domain of the quicker, more streamlined Mega Man X series. It's admittedly difficult to return to classic mechanics after years of hanging out with Mega Man X. The X games have wall-jumps, for example, something Mega Man 7 takes away from the player. Even though the design decision makes sense in Mega Man canon (X is meant to be an improved build over his "older" brother), that's a rough adjustment for players to make.

But there's still a lot I appreciate about Mega Man 7, especially after watching Game Informer's interview with Mega Man 11 producer Kazuhiro Tsuchiya. Tsuchiya worked on Mega Man 7 back in the day, and he reveals to Game Informer that the game was put together in three months. It was, unsurprisingly, "a really difficult time."

Mega Man 7's rushed development is obvious in some of its balancing issues, but overall, it's still a pretty great game for something put together in 3 months. All right, look, you can say whatever you want about Mega Man 7, but don't you dare insult Shade Man's theme in front of me.

I am in awe of 7 now.

Accomplishing much in 3 months beyond pure shovelware is impressive.
    @link6616 Especially when it's a Super Nintendo game, not just another NES title.
    MM7 has some really awesome tracks. Shade Man, as mentioned. Freeze Man, and Cloud Man's theme are great too. There's the robot museum track with some nice remakes of old songs, and there's the secret Shademan Ghosts n Goblins track.
    Geez... That's impressive.

I liked mega Man 7. Not a stand out mega Man game but solid
    I'm going to attempt to out nerd Nadia and correct her by saying that Mega Man had more r 16-bit classic entries than just 7. Firstly, there was Mega Man and Bass. Secondly, there was "the Wily Wars" for the Genesis. That game had an exclusive "Wily Tower" in addition to 16-bit remakes of Mega Man 1 through 3.

Regarding 7, it's not a game I'm particularly fond of but considering its ridiculously short development time, it turned out pretty damn good.Edited 3 weeks ago by RushDawg
    I've always wondered, when Tsuchiya's team took over MM7 from the outside team, did they truly start over from scratch, or did they reuse any of the design docs or art assets from the outside team?
    Just kind of show how much talent Capcom has. I would have wished they put a bit more polish into the game but I don't hate 7 but I do feel its really weak in the series. But I guess with a super short development time like that you can't really ask for something amazing.

Comments