It's Steam Sale Time Again

It's the most wonderful time of the year. You know, apart from all the other ones.

News by Pete Davison, .

Deck the halls with boughs of holly, it's time to indulge in some wallet-crushing folly.

I'm sorry, that won't happen again.

Where was I? Oh yes; it's Steam sale time. And you know what that means: ludicrous amounts of games on sale for silly prices, with regular special deals offering even deeper discounts on select titles.

If this is your first Steam sale, there's only one important rule to bear in mind: to get the biggest discounts on games you're interested in, wait for them to become a Daily Deal, when they're often reduced by as much as 75%. Of course, the 25-50% most of the Steam catalog enjoys for the duration of the sale is nothing to be sniffed at, either, but if you're looking to expand your collection significantly, it's worth waiting until the best deals are available.

At least one person will tell you to buy Recettear this holiday season. Don't disappoint them.

Since the Holiday Sale is one of the major events in the Steam calendar, Valve is marking the occasion with some special holiday-themed metagame content that can earn you some free goodies. The system largely revolves around the Steam Trading Cards system, whereby you can earn special virtual cards for various achievements and then trade them with friends or sell them on the public marketplace.

The Holiday Sale introduces Snow Globe cards, which can be acquired in several ways: crafting a game badge from its cards; earning one card per $10 of purchases in the sale; voting for the next Community's Choice flash sales three times; trading them with others; or buying them on the communal marketplace.

Collecting the complete set of Snow Globe cards -- there's 10 in total -- will allow you to craft a Snow Globe badge, which will in turn give you a freebie item for one of Dota 2, Path of Exile, Ragnarok Online II, Realm of the Mad God, Spiral Knights, Star Conflict, Stronghold Kingdoms, Team Fortress 2, War Thunder or Warframe. All of the item rewards are both tradable and marketable, so if you don't play the game you get a reward for, you can either sell it or trade it for something you do want. Alternatively, this might be just the incentive you need to try some of these games for yourself. (Some might say this is, in fact, the entire point of this little exercise.)

The Steam sale runs until January 3, 2014, and at that point your Snow Globe cards will disappear, so be sure to use them before then.

Not sure what to pick up this time? Cassandra and I discussed just that during the Autumn Sale, which actually doesn't feel like it was all that long ago. Take a look, and be sure to let us know if you find any exciting bargains!

Woohoo! When you're done gorging on ham and turkey, you can gorge on some games.
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #2 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    Console players: How about Rising Revengeance for someone who hasn't touched MGS since the PSX? Worth it??
    @renatocosta90 Very different to MGS, and a fairly divisive game among people I know, but the people who love it REALLY love it. Spectacular and outlandishly bonkers. Business as usual for Platinum, in other words! Certainly worth a look.
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #4 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    @pjedavison Then, on this recommendation, got it. Platinum games has owned me since Vanquish and Bayonetta.
    @renatocosta90 It's far closer to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry 4 than it is to MGS. Though, if you like the crazy over the top MGS weirdness, I would say it has plenty of that. It just plays like an action game where you can occasionally sneak up and one shot enemies. All in all, I would recommend.
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #6 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    @Damman I'm really, really bad at stealth games. My whole Assassins Creed (is it stealth?) or Dishonored strategy revolved around letting copious amounts of bodies in my wake because I went full frontal. And usually, Platinum games manage to give me frameworks to walk around causing copious amounts of destruction (specially when accompanied by Fly me to the moon or something).

I was inclined to get it already, and your comments helped cement my resolve. Thanks guys!

That is all.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #8 brionfoulke91 3 years ago
    Kudos for mentioning recettear, one of the best indie games on steam. I hope a whole bunch of new players are introduced to it this holiday season!
    I liked Chantelise better than Recettear, because I dig action games. But it too is fantastic, and kudos to the callback all the same! WAY MORE PEOPLE should care about Carpe Fulgur, and their divine mission to bring over more Japanese games... and to Steam, a platform where people will notice them, no less! 2014 should be a big year for them, what with Trails in the Sky Second Chapter too, so let's not forget 'em :D
    @brionfoulke91 Agreed! I'd definitely recommend picking it up whenever the opportunity strikes. It's a great game.

Comments