Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Receives The Series' First Season Pass DLC

There's additional DLC coming to Link's latest adventure.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo announced today that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will have an Expansion Pass for downloadable content. This marks the first time that the Zelda series has had DLC, let alone multiple releases and a Season Pass. The first content release is coming this Summer, while the second release is expected in Holiday 2017. The Pass will be $19.99 in North America.

"While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures," says Nintendo. "As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the mainline The Legend of Zelda series is in development."

"The world of Hyrule which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it," says Breath of the Wild producer Eiji Aonuma. "With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more."

Buying the Expansion Pass will immediately unlock three new Treasure Chests in the Great Plateau area of Breath of the Wild. One chest will contain a Nintendo Switch logo shirt, while the other two will include "useful items". The Summer content release will include another Cave of Trials challenge, a new map feature, and a hard mode for Breath of the Wild. The Holiday release will have a "new original story" and a new dungeon.

The Expansion Pass will be available for the Wii U and Switch versions of the game. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is coming to both platforms on March 3, 2017.

Got questions about Link's first adventure for the Nintendo Switch? We have answers. Check out all our guides, tips, and articles about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

The only one I'm interested in is the second. But I wonder how substantial this new story will be and if we can buy these separately if possible.

I'm curious and optimistic since Nintendo have handled Expansion content really well on Wii U in general.
    That was for the people complaining that Nintendo never caught with the times. Now we have a f2p Fire Emblem Heroes and a Zelda game with season pass. Investors should be really happy.
    Waiting for a season pass deal like:
    It sounds like these "useful items" might be a way to play the game on easy mode.
  • Avatar for iqralateef38 #5 iqralateef38 7 months ago
    Deleted September 4000 by Unknown
  • Avatar for PsychicPumpkin #6 PsychicPumpkin 7 months ago
    I hope it sells well and there is additional DLC in the future. I'd love the occasional influx of new content to keep me coming back to Zelda.
    I think the Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3 DLC have shown that Nintendo knows how to add value to their games at reasonable prices.

I'm optimistic. The new story element is something very new for Nintendo, though.
    Cool. But I won't buy it at launch because I don't like to start with extra stuff that potentially alters the balance of the game. Same with Dark Souls 2. I didn't enter my pre-order bonus code at first.
    Wtf? Am I the only one who doesn't want Zelda to turn into some sandbox game with "content" drops that milk you for more money? I mean, I play Zelda for the single player experience it is crafted to be, not to goof around with the mechanics to see if I can break the game or play outside of its rules. If the single player game experience of Zelda is still there in the base pack, I am excited to play it. If the "whole" game is locked behind DLC, I guess I can part ways with the series. Nintendo has officially entered the worst parts of the modern gaming era. :(
  • Avatar for Whinybabyclub #10 Whinybabyclub 7 months ago
    Wow, yeah, I bet everyone buying the WiiU Version will be pumped to pay for the privilege to wear a Switch tshirt in game. Maybe it should be only S10 for WiiU customers, considering the game sat completed on the shelf for over a year, waiting for the Switch version to get ported over. It's like Nintendo is taking the worst ideas from modern gaming and putting them into their business plans. I bet the content will all be on the disc at launch.
    I love this idea. Especially adding another story. Developers do so much work developing massive worlds, why not tell more stories fully fleshed out?
    I would love to see this same thing happen with Final Fantasy XV and it's world. There is so much potential to expand the world by telling what happens post Noctis. So many loose ends.
    I am willing to pay developers to create more stores within their worlds. Be it Zelda or Final Fantasy, the possibilities, if done right, keep the magic alive.
    Selling a hard mode as dlc? I hope it's substantial because that's pretty gross otherwise.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #13 LBD_Nytetrayn 7 months ago
    I'm really only interested in the Holiday release, so this sucks for me.

Now, if they were a little more forthcoming with details such as what a "useful item" is, or what a "new map feature" is, I might be more inclined to loosen my purse strings. As it is, I'm waiting to see.
    @otenko Sigh… I said it before, but it merits repeating:

Nintendo to their investors and customers: “Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?! Is this not why you are here?!”

@TheWildCard EA and Capcom already do this with some of their games, although it’s usually an “ultra-hard mode difficulty for the most hardcore of players”. I think it’s still pretty tasteless, but I hope that’s what they are planning to include here, rather than simply the equivalent of the “Hero mode” that they have included (for FREE!) in recent Zelda games.

@mobichan Well, the last few trailers have shown that the game still has a substantial story and substantial content, so I think it might be too hasty to abandon the series just yet.

Personally, while I’m not thrilled about them finally adopting a DLC model for Zelda, I wouldn’t mind it too much if they take an approach similar to the Dark Souls series or some of the Bioware and Bethesda RPG’s: The base game is already a massive Open World Action RPG that may take you more than 50 hours to finish, while the expansions include more story content, new regions to explore and more dungeons.

The second DLC pack seems to be more in that line, so that one doesn’t bother me, but I’m definitely not paying for content that you can reasonably argue should be included in the base game, like it’s the case of the first DLC pack (I mean, they expect me to pay for a challenge tower and a hard mode when they have included those for free in prior games? C’mon!).Edited February 2017 by docexe
    @docexe Yea, I certainly will wait to see what the final game is. I just feel like the DLC model in general was a terrible direction for releasing additional "modes" in classic game series. I have lived through every console era and still remember when games had all this stuff packed in at launch. If it wasn't, it was left to go in the sequel. It might be a different conversation all together, but DLC is just unwelcome in the traditional games I like to play. Item collecting games like Animal Crossing can gouge their players til the cows come home. But for those of us who want to sit and play a game from start to end and move on, I would like to see DLC off the table entirely.

If Zelda is meant as a "we built a big space, now we are going to recycle it as the space for a series of games" then I wish that would have been explained before anyone was duped into thinking they were getting another Zelda style game.
    I don't really like that it sounds like there's no way to just buy the story DLC without buying the season pass.
    @TheWildCard It sure implies it's more ambitious than the usual "enemies do 4 times as much damage".

Comments