Mario Doesn't Possess Characters in Super Mario Odyssey. He Merely "Captures" Their Screaming Souls

Nintendo issued an important correction the other day.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

Earlier this week I suggested there's some shady stuff going down in the mean streets of Super Mario Odyssey's New Donk City. I wasn't just referring to the alleys filled with rats and soiled newspapers, either.

New Donk City – and the entirety of Mario Odyssey, if we're going to be frank about things – gives off a beautifully creepy vibe thanks to the game's core mechanic: Mario can use his ghost-hat to possess enemies, animals, and human-frickin'-beings.

I'm not the only one who's picked up the "Mario Odyssey is kind of effed up" ball, either. Mario's new Exorcist-brand power-up has garnered jokes and memes at a rate that a plain ol' Super Mushroom can only dream of. But when Twitter user "samandfuzzy" posted a Kirby image instructing people on how to tell the difference between Kirby's inhalation powers and Mario's new possession powers, Nintendo finally stepped in to literally "Um, actually" its fanbase.

There you go, then. Mario doesn't possess other characters in Super Mario Odyssey. He merely captures them.

I have two responses to this:

1) Oh, I get it – "CAP"-tured. Ha ha! That's pretty good.

2) I guess Nintendo would rather avoid the term "possession" because of its religious connotations. OK, cool. Thing is, "capture" isn't exactly a soft word. Know what else captures other living organisms? Venus fly traps. Tar pits. Bear traps. Rabbit snares. Pelicans.

So now when I think of Mario Odyssey's new power, I won't think of black magic. I'll think of trapped prey struggling fruitlessly against the iron grip of death: The desperate flailing against the inevitable, the slowing struggle, and finally, grim acceptance.

That's much better!

Woo-hoo!

I'm trying to figure out what irks me about things like this. I love the fandom silliness that branches out from a game or its media output. It always starts so creative and light-hearted.

Then like, the second that it grows big enough for the brand's corporate and social media messaging to 'correct the record', the fun is gone. I really wish we could just let a game's creators be creative in their way, let the fandoms do their wackiness with it, and keep a clean separation between the two.

tldr; Brand engagement was a mistake
    You definitely can't say possessed, as Nintendo is still trying to take great pains to somehow not offend the Christian fundamentalists, despite the CFs saying Pokemon is Satan. You've seen it in the NES days, the pains they're taking to say the "Yo-Kai Watch" are not ghosts or spirits, but leprechaun-like sprites, and now with Mario "capturing" the bodies of his hosts.
    Mario's diabolical new power sounds like something more befitting a villain, all Kirby precedence aside. This fits Wario better in my mind.Edited June 2017 by mattcom26
    I love that people don't have a problem with him smash Goombas to death but once you "possess" them, you've crossed a line.

But anyway in the trailer when it shows Mario after he captures the frog, something super weird is going on. I looks like Mario gets lost inside the person he is taking over. So maybe it is more of a Fusion. Not sure if that makes it better. lol
    @SIGGYZtar That tweet read like something my uptight and very Christian aunt who worked at Nintendo would say. I was almost expecting a Bible verse at the end of it.Edited June 2017 by Jericho-GM
  • Avatar for Arvis-Jaggamar #6 Arvis-Jaggamar 5 months ago
    I'm never going to get past Nadia's "I'm-a thou, and-a thou art-a I! Woo hoo!"

That will make this whole thing hilarious until the end of time.
    Capture not possess? N word (Nintendo) please.

Don't try and play the semantic card now that you opened up a glorious can of awesome to placate potential idiots that can't tell the difference with a piece of fiction and declaration of satanic beliefs.

Also depending on what happens to Cappy at the end, I want a Luigi's Mansion crossover be with the two brothers and their respective tools.
    So I'm the only one who read the tweet from Nintendo and just thought they were making a very dry not-really-funny pun? I can't be the only one. People really think they're sweeping in to stop the fun?

It was a bad joke sure, but it definitely wasn't Nintendo coming in with a whistle and a stop sign, waving a finger at anyone who dares to say possessed.

Mario wears a cap...he's had cap related powerups before...the hat is named Cappy...of course they were going to call this mechanic, in which CAPpy, the CAP is thrown onto someone else who is then under your direct control, "CAPturing."

Or maybe everyone is being sarcastic and I'm totally not sensing it because tone is difficult to tell through type and I'm the one over-reacting over nothing...I'm so confused.

I just wanna play Mario Odyssey.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #9 LBD_Nytetrayn 5 months ago
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is just committed to the pun.

And maybe branding.

Could be both.
    @mattb0527 Given their history, they should have tried better to clarify their intentions. Maybe CAPitalize it (see what I did there?), add an emoji, or add something like "Get it? Huh, huh?" or similar. Anything to make it obvious to everyone that they were not just being their usual conservative-appeasing selves.

Otherwise, this happens.

"Good thing Nadia's around to keep the whole cheery situation from CAPsizing, eh? *ba dum tss*"

[sage nod]

In all honesty though, I think Nintendo's being sarcastic and I'm just poking fun back at them. ;)
    @nadiaoxford I guess cap jokes are ines-cap-able now.
    @nadiaoxford I'm just glad my ability to read social cues isn't entirely broken...I know it's at least partially broken, maybe teetering towards mostly broken, but some normalcy remains!
    Have you really not considered that maybe everyone and everything Mario is possessing is honored to play their part in the liberation of the Mario Kingdom?
    Try activity ready adventurers, cooking ready premiums, development games for artsy kinds, or household faves like bubble shooter, bingo, as well as 4 in a row video games! Visit this site: animal jam cheats

Comments