Metroid Prime Federation Force: It's Okay to Say You're Disappointed

Nintendo is allowed to do what it wants with its brands. Fans are free to provide feedback about those decisions.

Op-ed by Mike Williams, .

While many Nintendo fans were happy with the company's E3 2015 Direct show, there was a signifcant misstep in the minds of some. The publisher announced a small game for the 3DS: Metroid Prime Federation Force, developed by Next Level Games. The title is smaller experience springing out of the larger Metroid Prime universe.

The problem is the last real Metroid game was 2010's Metroid Other M for the Nintendo Wii. The series has yet to make a new appearance on the Wii U. So the announcement that the first Metroid game in years was an offshoot 3DS title stung a bit. Some fans got angry. At the time of this writing, googling "Metroid Prime Federation Force" brings up a Change.org petition for Nintendo to outright cancel the game.

Tell me how you really feel.

"What we got however is a disgrace of a game with the name 'Metroid' slapped on the title," says the petition. "It has no elements at all of what Metroid is about and its a disrespectful manner to old and new fans of the series of showing them that the Metroid franchise is not dead afterall. This is not the Metroid we asked Nintendo to make. We should let Nintendo know what we really think of the game and make them actually listen to their fans for once. Help us stop this atrocity of a game from bearing the beloved Metroid franchise name and make Nintendo halt production on it."

I'd say that's hyperbole, but I understand it's coming from an emotional place. It's a side effect of that endearing passion that Nintendo - and the rest of our industry - goes out of its way to cultivate. Passionate fans are great when they're on your side and beating your drum, but things can turn ugly quickly.

I find it interesting that there's an outright call for cancelling Metroid Prime Federation Force. That's not the game I would've made with the Metroid name on it, but it's not my franchise. Nintendo owns Metroid, does with the series as it sees fit, and not every game the company develops will appeal to everyone. I have little interest in many of the Animal Crossing games, Mario Sports, or Hyrule Warriors. The same can be said of Federation Force. I'm sure some people will enjoy it and it's cool those people will have a new experience to enjoy.

That's not disrespect towards Nintendo's fans and it's not an "atrocity". It's a game that a team at Next Level Games put creativity and effort into making. Nintendo found the resources to make this smaller title and moved forward for whatever reason. The absence or cancellation of this game doesn't mean we'd have a brand-new Metroid title for the Wii U or 3DS. What we're left with are spin-offs that will come and go; something that's not particularly new for Nintendo.

While I dislike the calls for cancellation and I think the specific commentary in the petition goes a bit far, in abstract, a Change.org petition is merely concentrated feedback and criticism. These consumers have found a specific platform to provide their feedback to the company. That could be through Twitter, Facebook, email, or the form they chose. As long as it stays civil, rock out. They have about as much power to enact change as any other consumer and Nintendo can decide to do whatever they want with that information. That's speech. They dislike something and they've called for change. That's frankly a bedrock of culture and commercial art in particular.

Some people tend to forget that when the changes being called for aren't things they agree with. We tend to jump to call the criticism we agree with "feedback" and the stuff we don't "outrage", which is disingenuous. (Which is not to say there isn't good and bad feedback.) Regardless of if criticism is about controls, merchanics, narrative, representation, or anything else that goes into a game or work of art, any feedback or request for change is a implicit statement that something could be better in your opinion. You are saying, "Yes, Game X is great/good/bad/awful, but I think it could be better if you did this." Feedback asking for change is always a value judgment.

We as an industry and community need to be wary of going down the "No True Scotsman" path of criticism. I certainly would rather Capcom listen to its hardcore fighting game community when its developing Street Fighter V, but I'm not going to shut down the feedback from the lapsed player or the neophyte. The audience, current and future, has a right to provide civil feedback and criticism. The creators are allowed to listen to or ignore that feedback as they see fit. That's society at work. Vote with your dollars, but also let the creator know why you're making that vote.

So if you wish Nintendo would make more "real" Metroid games, tell them. Tell them on Twitter and Facebook. Tell them what they're doing wrong and right. Do so in a civil manner and acknowledge that they may not listen to you. I'm not going to be beside you for a petition calling for a game's cancellation, but I get that you dislike it and want Nintendo's resources to be used elsewhere. I've picked a bone with the company over its handling of Amiibos, so who I am to judge?

That doesn't make you "entitled", that makes you people. That makes you potential purchasers of Nintendo's art. Everyone should remember that "potential" can and has been as good for industries as "current" and creativity is as much about listening to new ideas as it is standing your ground.

Man oh man, I just can't sympathize with the whole outrage and petition about the game. "This isn't exactly what I wanted, so it must not exist at all" Is pretty much an adult tantrum. Hardly anyone's played the game, maybe it'll be good, maybe it won't, but this is a pretty ugly expression of fandom, and I am a huge Metroid fan.
    I can understand the outrage, I remember when Capcom released Rockman Xover for his 25th Anniversary so many people, myself included, were pissed or disappointed. It really just feels like at the end of the day the companies just don't care about you as fans. That's not really surprising though when you stop to think about it even for a second so you just have to remember to not take it personally. Vent your frustration online, complain, sure, hell they might even listen someday but try not to let it eat you too much. The game is going to happen, just don't buy it if it doesn't interest you and go ahead and express your opinion. Just don't be a dick about it. Hell people complained about Animal Crossing's lack of skin tone options and it seems Nintendo has finally listened, that probably would have never happened if people didn't get online and criticized that issue.

Of course I say all that but I still feel bitter towards Capcom for what they have done to Mega Man, especially after the Legends fiasco. Ugh.
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #3 KaiserWarrior 2 years ago
    @gillijack Honestly, it comes from a place of concern about the Metroid brand, and the damage that a game like Federation Force could do to it.

If Nintendo wanted to make a multiplayer co-op shooter with a competitive sports minigame in it, have at it and go nuts. Heck, that's more or less what Splatoon is, in a nutshell, save that that game is more competitive-focused. But why slap the Metroid name on it? Why take a series that is already in pretty dire straits after Other M and dilute it even further?

Basically, people are worried about Metroid going the way of Starfox.

I get that Nintendo likes to be experimental and try new things, and that's one of the things I really like about them as a video game company. I'm absolutely behind them in seeing what they can do with a multiplayer FPS on the 3DS, given that Metroid Prime Hunters was decent-ish on the original DS all those years ago.

Just... don't call it Metroid. Especially when it's got absolutely nothing to do with Samus Aran. Just call it Space Rangers or something. After the damage that Other M did, the series can ill-afford another release that completely misses the point of what Metroid, as a series name, means.
    Wasn't this almost the exact reaction to Metroid Prime in the first place? The fans collectively flipped their lid and said an FPS couldn't be Metroid. It might yet be a decent game, of course Metroid Other M looked like it might be decent when previewed...
    I think a call to cancel Metroid Prime: Federation Force is childish and petty, but all the same I can understand why fans are upset. People were hoping the first new Metroid since the Other M snafu five years ago would be a return to form, a spiritual successor to Super Metroid or the first Metroid Prime. To them, the first new Metroid game in half a decade being some stylized co-op multiplayer title for 3DS with no Samus is insulting.

All in all, it probably wouldn't have received such a bad response if it had been announced alongside a new Metroidvania style installment of the series.

As for my opinion, I've said it on various other outlets but I have a wait and see attitude towards the game. Nintendo releases that receive a lot of hate are usually the ones to watch 'cuz they're the ones that'll likely end up being great, Wind Waker and the original Metroid Prime being prime examples. Also the game is being developed by Next Level Games, who in recent years have made a great Punch-Out!! remake and a great Luigi's Mansion sequel.

I'll definitely be watching this.
    I don't care how you're feeling. Calling for a game to be cancelled is the equivalent of calling for people to lose their jobs. That's absolutely disgusting. It's even worse when you take into account that not one of those people actually went ahead and played the game in question before resorting to bs rhetoric. It shows just how myopic, stubborn and entitled these people are.

If I got asked to make a Metroid knowing that I have to deal with that kind of crowd with those kinds of demands, I would say "eff that" and go make something else. It's no wonder Retro hasn't made a Metroid in years and why Sakamoto doesn't feel the need to do anything with the IP. What's the point?
  • Avatar for artrexdenthur #7 artrexdenthur 2 years ago
    I suppose it's preemptive and rude to call for an outright cancellation, but if that trailer is showing actual gameplay that's a really trashy graphical/aesthetic look they're pinning on Metroid (and heck, on Nintendo themselves). It's another sign (along with the abysmal free to play Pokemon game) that Nintendo releases will need to be more thoroughly vetted... Like any other company. Sad, but can't complain.
    I understand the reason for the outrage, given people were just starved for a proper Metroid sequel. As a Metroid fan I was also very disappointed by the announcement of this spin-off. My first reaction even was that they were tacking the brand on a side project that didn’t fit and they just had on the works. Reading and watching a bit more about it, it seems to actually be a spiritual successor to Metroid Prime Hunters. That has diminished the sting a bit, but I still find it… well, pretty “meh” to be honest.

That being said, I just can’t stand by this petition at all. I have said it before and I will repeat it again: I think it’s perfectly fine to criticize a game or any other piece of media and its content, I think it’s fine to call it out if it offends you or disappoints you, I even think it’s fine to call something “a piece of crap”. But when you go and demand for something to be cancelled or removed from market… sorry, but I think you are crossing a line too far and approaching the same kind of attitudes that fuel practices like censorship and “book burning”, and I just can’t stand by that.

Not to mention I think the outrage could have been canalized into something more positive or constructive (why not a petition to demand for a proper Metroid sequel on Wii U?).Edited June 2015 by docexe
    @KaiserWarrior Just to point out that one of the best regarded spin-offs in the Metroid series is a pinball game. Let that sink in.

Of course, that one was released at a time when the franchise was in a more fertile period, what with Echoes and Zero Mission just released the previous year, and Corruption and Prime Hunters on the works.

In that sense, I think@MetManMas has a point in that this wouldn’t have generated so much outrage if they had announced a proper Metroid game (as in starring Samus and focusing on exploration) along with it.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #10 InsertTokenz 2 years ago
    EDIT: It's funny. I ended up typing a bunch of this comment before reading the whole article above (Sorry Mike! It's a great write up!:)) It mostly echoes a lot of what he said, so feel free to skip if you want.

I had commented about the reaction people had to the Metroid game announcement (along with some of the other game announcements) in a different article, but I figure I'd take this chance to perhaps elaborate more on it. (Apologies if this comes off being a bit long winded or all over the place)

I can understand how people can end up being disappointed over what was revealed. Not everyone is going to like the same types of video games, so if some people can't get a game that caters to their particular tastes, there will be dissatisfaction naturally. However, in a case such as this, those people who were unhappy with the reveal took the news way too personally and seriously (it's merely a piece of software used for entertainment purposes), and did everything from jumping to overblown conclusions, making baseless accusations, and just flat out expressing themselves in a manner not too far removed from spoiled children. (I'm sure some of the people reacting could very well be actual children, but it still doesn't make their behavior any more acceptable)

It's fine to express disappointment, but it does make it hard to take your opinion in a serious manner when you feel the need to directly insult, accuse without any proper justification, or go into massive hyperbole to make a mountain out of a molehill.

In the case of Metroid, there's nothing written in stone saying this is the last be all end all game in the series. There's nothing guaranteeing Nintendo won't sometime in the future, whether it be sooner or later, make the type of Metroid game these folks are looking to enjoy.

At the same time though, there's nothing stating the only way a Metroid game can be a Metroid game is that it has to feature Samus, feel isloated all the time, and be dark and moody with it's atmosphere. Nintendo is within their rights to make the kind of games they want to make. It's no different with any other creator in the medium.

This doesn't mean that everyone has to like every single game Nintendo ends up releasing, but I wouldn't expect a developer (be it Nintendo or otherwise) to take negative feedback seriously just cause certain individuals like to type in ALL CAPS, be overly creative with cursive words, or resort to being rude in order to get attention.

Instead of wasting their time and energy expressing their dissatisfaction online over the announced game(s) in such an uncivil manner, maybe these individuals would be better off simply ignoring these titles when they release, thus sending a stronger message with their wallets. There's likely a better chance that method will grab Nintendo's attention in a more constructive way.

(Plus, demanding the cancellation of this Metroid game comes off as being very inconsiderate, both to the team at Next Levels Games working on this as a means to provide for their families and to those people who do find this game to be potentially enjoyable and want to play it when it comes out.)Edited 3 times. Last edited June 2015 by InsertTokenz
    There is a real desire to see a new Metroid game, look at the high profile Kickstarters and all the Metroidvania indie games and you can see others are trying to fill a gaping hole in the market that Nintendo has just ignored.
    Much that I like games like Guacamelee it's just not the same as playing Samus and killing space pirates.
    The fact that Retro studios has been instead making gloriously unoriginal 2d Donkey Kong games on a platform saturated with games of that genre makes it all the worse. It's like taking the Barcelona football team and making them to do knitting instead of football.
    I am afraid Nintendo is showing a brand of conservatism that has been prominent in Japanese industry for a long time. The days of real innovation and customer awareness are a distant memory. I hope the anger around this and the success of these games attempting to fill the hole really jolt Nintendo and make them realise they need to look at what is going on in the world of games and supply what consumers want.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #12 VotesForCows 2 years ago
    Great piece of perspective here Mike.
    I have no sympathy with the people who started the petition, and the original Metroid Prime remains one of my favourite games. I've expressed my disappointment with the lack of a new Metroid, but I would never, ever demand the spin-off be cancelled. That's disgusting. How do the developers feel at Next Level, now they have 15,000 people demanding their work be scrapped? On what planet is that an acceptable expression of discontent?

You're exactly right to advocate people express their disappointment in less negative, hyperbolic terms. Start a kickstarter to gauge interest in Metroid Prime IV. Start a social media campaign, do a Metroid Prime-athon and donate to charity. Do something positive that shows Nintendo the plus side of their fans' passion. Don't demean and turn that passion into something ugly, over-entitled and counter-productive.

If fans don't give Federation Force a fair shout--and a quick, relatively inexpensive spin-off doesn't sell--there's a chance Nintendo will keep the lid on the Metroid franchise. After all, that's why we are where we are. It's why it's taken so long for Starfox to return, it's why F Zero hasn't come back. Too few people buy those production heavy games from Nintendo. Too few people bought Echoes, Hunters, Corruption and Other M. After the sales success of Prime, Metroid became a series of diminishing returns. Too few people proved to Nintendo there was a market for the big budget Metroid experience. Demanding the spin-off be scrapped won't prove that a big budget Metroid would sell, it just proves too many people want instant gratification and lack a sense of proportion.Edited June 2015 by Mr.Spo
  • Avatar for paraclete-pizza #14 paraclete-pizza 2 years ago
    I remember when I was a kid, and I flipped the heck out when puzzle games like Dr. Mario, Yoshi, and Yoshi's Cookie came out, 'disrespecting' Mario fans like me by releasing games in different, more 'casual,' mechanical genres that used Nintendo IP as set dressing. I started a paper petition at my school to get those games recalled from store shelves!

Oh, wait, I didn't. Because I wasn't an entitled weenie, and there wasn't yet a global computer network filled with entitled weenies creating a reinforcing echo chamber of dumb behavior.
    I'm more concerned that the people signing are not fully grasping what a change.org petition is or, more accurately, isn't.
  • Avatar for SimonGreedwell #16 SimonGreedwell 2 years ago
    You know, the series is called Metroid, not Samus, so its really not THAT ridiculous for Nintendo to decide that they want to explore more of that universe. I don't personally love the way the game looks, particularly in still shots, but perhaps people should chill out until we see more of the game.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #17 Captain-Gonru 2 years ago
    I found that, overall, this year's E3 for Nintendo was all about wrong choices. Not BAD choices, per se, but wrong. Had this game simply been branded "Federation Force", then had it later be revealed to exist in the Metroid universe, fans would have likely been more receptive. It would have stood as a neat little aside, an assurance to fans that their beloved franchise hadn't been forgotten. But, by choosing to label it as a "proper" entry in the Metroid series, you burden it with expectation of what a Metroid game is "supposed" to be.
    And really, I could write this about most of this year's titles. Take out Metroid and insert Animal Crossing, for instance, and now I'm the one rushing for a petition (not really, because I understand how the world works, but you get my point). Or change it to Paper Mario, or Zelda, and someone will likely have wanted Nintendo to have chosen differently. Unfortunately, when you have ALL of those happen in one show, you draw the ire of most of your fan base, and end up on Twitter sort of apologizing.
    (Fucking amiibo Festival. A board game?)
    "Thou shalt not take the name of the Metroid thy God in vain; for the Metroid will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." - Exodus 20:7

Joking aside, man oh man just take the "Metroid Prime" out of the damn name, what a much-ado-about-nothing clusterf*** Oo
    @un Don't forget the brouhaha over the style change in Wind Waker.
    What if I'm not upset? What if I'm not disappointed? What if I actually enjoy that Nintendo is willing to take their brands and play around with them, try out new things and weird directions?
    That's what makes Nintendo interesting and fun to me. I can only imagine nowadays you couldn't announce something like Zelda 2 without a petition for it to be made top-down again.
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #21 mobilesworking 2 years ago
    @Mr.Spo "Do something positive that shows Nintendo the plus side of their fans' passion. Don't demean and turn that passion into something ugly, over-entitled and counter-productive."

Couldn't have put it better myself. To my mind, this is all that needs to be said about this non-issue, except perhaps to point out the goldfish-like memory of gaming's spoiled brats. Others in this thread are right to point to the tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth that accompanied Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. You can be sure that Nintendo remembers.
    We went far longer without a Metroid game between Super and Prime. Other franchises, like Kid Icarus and Punch Out, were dormant for far longer. Did fans back then sign moronic petitions? No. These over-reacting children/manchildren have no perspective of history. They sound like drug addicts lol. "It's been...so long...gotta have my Metroid fix! Give it to me!"

Maybe it's because I ignore gaming forums, but it's like there was an expectation that Nintendo was going to deliver a traditional Metroid game. Of course you're setting yourself up for disappointment with that kind of attitude. I'd love a new F-Zero, but I don't EXPECT or demand one. Lots of people would love S-E to bring over DQVII, but I don't see those fans throwing tantrums.

Nintendo fans are an extremely fickle bunch anyway. Remember the outcry about Wind Waker? Or even the original Prime? And now those are considered classics. Nintendo are masters of giving us things we didn't know we wanted.

Even announcing a new Metroid game wouldn't be indicative of the final product. I know Other M gets all the flack, but IMO Prime 2 and 3 weren't exactly stellar releases either. Polished and well-presented, sure, but boring.

I think there's plenty of valid criticism to level against modern Nintendo, but the reaction here really frustrates me.
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #23 Monkey-Tamer 2 years ago
    If it was marketed deceptively I could understand the butthurt. Nintendo is being straight with what you'll be getting if you purchase this. Perhaps they need to focus their clickprotest on something more important than something they don't want. I don't play Call of Duty. I don't buy the games. I don't begrudge people that enjoy them. Pretty simple.Edited June 2015 by Monkey-Tamer
    People are making some excellent points here about how the fandom could've shown its interest in a traditional Metroid more positively. It's a spinoff - whatever, no harm done, these things happen. A full-blown AAA Metroid would be great and waiting for one feels disappointing, but was it realistic to expect one for the Wii U next year? Life's too short to get mad about stuff like this.
    Can you imagine if they had announced this as a new IP? Instead of outrage that it isn't Metroid Prime IV, everyone would be saying, "Cool, Nintendo is branching out again!" I think the overall reaction to the entire presentation Tuesday would be better, too.
    Can we get@bobservo to flex his Something Awful muscle and write a mock petition to stop the "slap in the face to fans" that Super Mario Bros. 2 is? I mean it's called Mario Bros. Not, Mario, Luigi, Toadstool and Toad, and they totally "destroyed" the jumping on enemies mechanic pioneered by the iconic Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.
    The thing I'm taking away from this E3 is that everybody is either pandering to fandoms or enraging fandoms (or, in Shenmue 3's case, kind of both at the moment). Bethesda seemed like the only major, highly visible developer just sitting in their corner making games. There are some really interesting original things like Beyond Eyes, Cuphead, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Abzû being showcased and announced but, USgamer articles aside, nobody's talking about them.

This does bother me a bit. I like games as a creative medium, and their very super corporate nature is something that's increasingly uncomfortable for me, especially in light of recent angry nerd mobs who want to hog games all for themselves. I have very mixed feelings about the highlight games (I at least do want to see The Last Guardian become a real thing), but they all seem to be aimed at courting the angry nerd mob at a time when games are finally growing up, reaching new audiences and expanding what they can really be. It makes me a little sad, as sad as it is to admit that. I don't want games to fall into the same kind of trap that comics seem to have, becoming dominated by a vocal and somewhat toxic fanbase obsessed with a single genre that publishers trip over to please at the cost of potentially alienating everyone else. Games can be better than that. Part of that means letting go of old franchises and "nerd Holy Grails," accepting change and hoping that the things you love can die dignified deaths and continue to inspire people to make new works.
    Maybe Nintendo's thinking went along the lines of "a proper Metroid game might appeal to a 'hardcore' minority, so how can we expand the franchise to broaden its appeal?"

It's always worth remembering that sales of the Prime games COMBINED were less than those for Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's a niche franchise, just like F-Zero, and the big budget game the fans are demanding (for both franchises) likely makes no economic sense.
  • Avatar for starsintodreams #29 starsintodreams 2 years ago
    Wow, what's with all of the Metroid: Other M hate? I thought that the game was utterly fantastic in its own right.
    @Daryoon Yes and no. Generally speaking, your reasoning about the economics would be sound, this were special circumstances though. Metroid would have been a chance to appease their long-standing loyalist at this crucial point in time. Much points towards an announcement of their myterious next home console "NX" next year (Reggie did all but confirm this during the event), and this device will need early adopters to push past the stigma of the failed WiiU. Now, loyalists alone will most like not be enough to pull this off ... but they will be absolutely essential for Nintendo to even have a chance of generating sales on a magnitude that spells out acceptance or even impending success to the rest of the consumers.
    Right now this task has fallen mostly upon StarFox ... which might or might not work out for them. I'm a bit sceptical, that it is a suitable replacement, either for Zelda this holiday, or for something like Metroid in terms of appeasement on a greater scale. Zelda is really the candidate to manage this best in the absence of a new Metroid Prime, but it seems to me, that by now, we can assume that it will launch simultaneously on the WiiU and NX, meaning it cannot serve this function anymore.
    So, I agree, "just" releasing a new Metroid Prime - even account for positive PR - would not make all that much sense economically, but at this specific turn of their company's fortune, it might have been a shrewd move. Let us just hope it does not turn out, it would have been a necessary one.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #31 InsertTokenz 2 years ago
    I have to agree with Mike and everyone else who mentioned this, in that it would also be more beneficial if all those people raging over this new Metroid game would channel their energies in a more positive way.

You only need to look at groups like Starmen.net and Operation Rainfall to see how people who were just as passionate over similar scenarios were able to do something that made others see and respect the care they put forth on display.

For Starmen.net, despite being a long time coming, their dreams of seeing the Mother series return to the gaming public have seen success with Earthbound AND Earthbound Beginnings being released on Wii U's Virtual Console. They didn't resort to getting nasty or embittered about it, and instead approached Nintendo, the series' creator, and others involved in the series with the utmost respect and sensibility. And even if Earthbound had never resurfaced, those folks still ended up benefiting regardless by starting up their own merchandise company, Fangamer, during the whole process which is now more successful than ever and allows the team there to continue funneling their passion into something they love doing that in turn benefits others.

Operation Rainfall had a similar thing going. When there was no sign of 3 particular Wii games being considered for localization during E3 2011, a group of fans took it upon themselves to raise awareness of the games through said fan campaign. It too was done in a more calm and constructive manner. And while Nintendo themselves might never shed light on whether the campaign influenced their decision to try bringing over these games, it never the less succeeded in getting more people to take notice of those titles and show why they were worth being localized. And much like Starmen.net, Operation Rainfall evolved into something more, becoming it's own gaming news site that allows the group to focus their energy towards continuing to cover games both being localized and deserving of being localized to various regions.Edited June 2015 by InsertTokenz
  • Avatar for seanmitchell #32 seanmitchell 2 years ago
    Good article. I agree. Its not the game we want but someone is working hard on it and Im sure some people will play and like it. But it is important to let nintendo know this isn't the type of game we had in mind when we beg for metroid
  • Avatar for seanmitchell #33 seanmitchell 2 years ago
    @un plus prime actually kept the staples of what made the series what it was. 4 player co op is the exact opposite of what this series represents
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #34 UnskippableCutscene 2 years ago
    There was another five-year gap between Super Metroid and Samus as a character in Super Smash Bros. At that time, Metroid fans were delighted to see that their favorite character hadn't simply been forgotten about in the transition from pixels to polygons.

I'd like to say that this is an example of what people talk about when they call gamers "entitled", or filled with enough gumption to believe that they have some level of ownership over a franchise (Devil May Cry saw something along those lines the other year.) But I'm also not certain it isn't just Metroid fans. Earthbound fans are even tighter clique, and are happy that Nintendo has taken notice of their favorite thing the past few years and are localizing NES Mother. And fans of Zelda have met Hyrule Warriors with a shrug of the shoulders, even if it has none of the Zelda DNA in it's gameplay.Edited June 2015 by UnskippableCutscene
    @bigbramble

" am afraid Nintendo is showing a brand of conservatism that has been prominent in Japanese industry for a long time. "

Nintentod gets blamed (rightfully or wrongfully, no judgement there, since I haven't played the game) for taking their franchise in a new unmetroidvania direction. Aren' it the fans then, that are expecting more of te same? ... and as such are conservative?
  • Avatar for roomtemperature #36 roomtemperature 2 years ago
    Doesn't it show more faith in the IP that Nintendo branded this game with Metroid then without? Sure we all want a "proper" Metroid game either on the 3ds or Wii U but it doesn't hurt its chances that Nintendo either made a spinoff game specifically with the Metroid IP or put it on this game like it does with Kirby games when it was in development.

I also love how the same fans then complain we don't have more Metroid fighters in Smash yet we have a spinoff trying to flesh out the rest of the world they complain harder. We can't have one without the other.
  • Avatar for beauborchardt20 #37 beauborchardt20 2 years ago
    @GustinHardy This is the real problem. There are real problems in the world, this is not one of them.
  • Avatar for strangejames85 #38 strangejames85 2 years ago
    I'm just curious about how this came to be. Was this a Metroid game from the ground-up or did they come up with this new idea but realized it wouldn't sell unless they attached it to a known franchise?

I'm not offended by it's existence, Nintendo can put out whatever they choose. It's not like I have to buy it and it certainly doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment I get out of the great games they occasionally do release. It just seems like a strange decision.
    I'm fine with Nintendo making a game like this, but attaching it to the Metroid franchise (and this game was very clearly not meant to be a Metroid game at first, much like how Star Fox Adventures was also originally a new IP) was a terrible move. It would have been a bad move even if it hadn't been eight years since the last Metroid game anyone thought was any good happened, but in light of that it just comes off as a big "fuck you" to Metroid fans. It comes off as Nintendo saying "hey, we know you like Metroid, so here's a Metroid game that has absolutely nothing you like about Metroid!"

The last time Nintendo announced a controversial Metroid game (Prime,) they had the good sense to announce a much more "traditional"-looking Metroid (Fusion) at the same time to stave off the rage. Of course, the punchline there was that Prime was more of a proper Metroid than Fusion, but still.
  • Avatar for sam-stephens #40 sam-stephens 2 years ago
    @strangejames85

Nintendo developers have stated in the past that gameplay concepts usually come together before deciding on an IP. Sometimes they have a general idea of what the game is going to be, but it doesn't always turn out the way they planned. Captain Toad was originally going to be a Legend of Zelda game. Star Fox Zero seems less of a "about that time to make a Star Fox game" kind of decision and more of Miyamoto having a series of gameplay ideas for the Wii U that just happened to come together as a Star Fox game. Occasionally, a new IP is the end result. In short, Nintendo makes the IP fit the gameplay.

I don't know how Next Level Games goes about things, but it seems to me they had an idea for a first-person cooperative game for the 3DS and Nintendo decided to mold it into the Metroid Prime IP since it was the closest fit. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was developed in a similar fashion where all of the franchise elements were the last things consideredEdited 3 times. Last edited June 2015 by sam-stephens
    I must admit I am not excited about this game...

Mostly though for every different reasons... Does anyone remember Metroid Prime Hunters? That's what this reminds me of most.
    To say this is the Metroid game I wanted would be a lie, but Next Level Games has a great track record of making fantastic games, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, just because I loved Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Punch Out Wii so much.

That said, I am not a big fan of multiplayer shooters, so I hope there is a decent single player experience to be had here.

So put me in the "cautiously optimistic" category I guess.
  • Avatar for buckupprincess #43 buckupprincess A year ago
    Oddly enough, I'm not terribly fired up about the inclusion of the Metroid Prime moniker here. Although I would have vastly preferred a 2D Metroid, specifically as a Metroid 2 Zero Mission treatment, I'm fairly confident Next Level Games can pull this one off. I understand the anger and disapproval of the use of the name but at the end of the day, fun rules all and to be frank, this looks like it'll be a fun game. I hope Next Level brings their normal level of love and high quality to this title and as Reggie well knows, a new Metroid (in the purist sense) is a priority.
  • Avatar for Vitor-Galv-o #44 Vitor-Galv-o 10 months ago
    I remember when Capcom released Rockman Xover for his 25th Anniversary so many people, myself included, were como emagrecer com acupuntura pissed or disappointed. It really just feels acupuntura bauru like at the end of the day the companies just don't care about you as fans. That's not really surprising though when you stop to think about it even for a second so you orlistat emagrece quantos quilos just have to remember to not take it personally. Vent your frustration online, complain, sure, hell they orlistat emagrece might even listen someday but try not to let it eat you too much. The game is going to happen, just don't buy it if it doesn't interest you and go ahead and express your opinion. Just don't be a dick about it. Hell people complained about Animal Crossing's lack of skin tone options and it seems Nintendo has finally listened, that probably would have never happened if people didn't get online and criticized that issue.

Comments