A New Nintendo 64 Controller Has Been Successfully Crowdfunded

It has a sleek modern redesign too.

News by Caty McCarthy, .

If you've been longing for a return of a freshly remodeled Nintendo 64 controller without that annoying stick-thing in the middle, then this newly funded Kickstarter has your back.

To the tune of more than doubling its mere $13,000 goal, slick and modern-designed N64 controllers are now going to be made by the company Retro Fighters thanks to a successful crowdfunding campaign. The controllers have been ergonomically redesigned to be more "Next-Gen." (Hence the name, "Next Gen N64 Controller). The controllers will be compatible with memory cards and Rumble Paks, adding to their N64 legitimacy.

At the time of this writing, the Kickstarter has attained $50,011 in funding. The controllers themselves are relatively cheap, costing only $20 each at their tier. If backers want their name in the instruction manual, it'll be a slightly steeper $45.

That's something I'm surprised to see surpass a stretch goal. I mean, really, it's made specifically for the N64. If you're a purist would you want to play on a different pad? And if you're holding out for a USB version that's going to be their next kickstarter. I don't know, people can fund whatever makes them happy though.
  • Avatar for mouse-clicker #2 mouse-clicker 2 months ago
    @NiceGuyNeon I dunno, they give some good reasons for not doing a USB version right now, cost being the biggest factor. And as they point out, you can get N64-to-USB adapters for fairly little. I get it. Plus, I know I personally would love a new controller to use on my original N64 that doesn't have a control stick that's either ruined or going to be ruined very soon. The larger C buttons are a nice change, too.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #3 WiIIyTheAntelope 2 months ago
    I don't get why the rumble isn't just built in like..oh say most every controller that has existed since the N64.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #4 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    those A+B buttons look too close together, but good for them i guess? I just wish there was a really good source for perfect replicas of the original
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #5 Lord-Bob-Bree 2 months ago
    As long as the analog stick is more durable.
    The original was perfection in a way. It was a six button pad with a cute joystick and the typical great Nintendo D-Pad. It's great for 2D fighters and other arcade games, but we never got any of those games on the system.
  • Avatar for NightingaleXP #7 NightingaleXP 2 months ago
    That price point seems too low for this story to end in anything but delays and disappointment, to be honest. Small run production is costly, and a $20 pricepoint seems destined to bankrupt them.
  • Avatar for SimonGreedwell #8 SimonGreedwell 2 months ago
    I very well might pick one of these up. I have an N64 with a buttload of games sitting in the closet. All of the controllers have crummy joysticks. If this thing sucks, I'm out $20. If it works, I have a functional controller. If they release a decent USB one, I would absolutely jump on board.
    @kubisztal Who actually uses rumble?
    I recently had my N64 modded with an Ultra HDMI board and it's clear my N64 analogue sticks are a bit past their prime. They mostly work fine but sometimes when aiming with the crosshairs in GoldenEye I can't get the crosshairs to the edge of the screen to make Bond turn. It does work if I push really hard though.

That said, aiming on an original N64 stick is much more accurate than trying to use a 360 controller in an emulator. I don't know why that is, I've never seen a good N64 stick replacement either, it's almost like the N64 sticks worked in a different way to all the analogue sticks that came after it.
    Personally I liked the three handle grip of the original, while newer controllers have gotten the D-pad and analog to be on the same side without too much difficulty switching between them, I feel there was always something about the N64 that felt unique and awesome to have the analog at the very center of the controller itself.
    But… considering the competitive aspect of the overall game, I do believe that there's a balance issue between controllers and keyboard and mouse. That's what's which makes it difficult for us to do right away. If we're going Playerunknown's Battlegrounds to allow players to use controllers we have to have the aim assist added in and things like that. We're not heading to be helping it immediately, but it's something we want to look into later.

Comments