New Yakuza Is Coming, Without Kazuma Kiryu

The Yakuza director confirms there's more life to the series after Yakuza 6.

News by Mike Williams, .

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life is already out in Japan, with a North American release coming in early 2018. The game was billed as the end of the story of Kazuma Kiryu, the protagonist of the numbered, mainline Yakuza games. While Sega will be sticking to that, there will be more Yakuza coming in the future.

"Yakuza5QuestsSpot1"I'm too old for this stuff."

At the Famitsu Awards, Yakuza series director Toshihiro Nagoshi confirmed that a new Yakuza title is coming. The news was reported by Games Talk (translated via Gematsu), who noted that the team will be sticking to Kiryu's retirement.

Nagoshi said that his desire is to make a new Yakuza game, and even admits that it doesn't have to be limited to a single entry. He said the team created the all-new Dragon Engine for Yakuza 6, but the engine will be fully-completed with subsequent releases.

"I'm already working on the next title. In the not too distant future... I think there will be an opportunity to talk about the next game's development in a relatively early stage," Nagoshi reportedly said.

In the mean time, we still have Yakuza Kiwami coming on August 29 and Yakuza 6 all the way in 2018.

Related Tags

Great news! Though in my dreams what I'd love for the Yakuza team to do is adapt the manga/anime Gintama; its mix of action and humor in a distinctive Japanese setting would mesh perfectly with the tone and play of the Yakuza games.

And while I'm requesting things that won't happen, it sure would be great to have Ryƫ ga Gotoku Ishin come out over here - it's a Yakuza spinoff set in the Bakumatsu era with familiar faces playing the parts of historical figures.
    Good, considering they keep pulling him back in whether he likes it or not, he deserves a good retirement. Besides there's at least five other main characters to explore, and more to create!
  • Avatar for One_Vurfed_Gwrx #3 One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 months ago
    It would be nice to see a new 'series' with a new inexperienced protaganist to start a new story with, although with cameos and nods to Kiryu's games. Possibly in an all-new city but that may stretch their budget and they have somewhat covered a lot of the main city red light areas now. The Kurohyou spinoffs were a slightly different direction but I haven't played them.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #4 SatelliteOfLove 3 months ago
    Haruka bulldoggin' and fisherman's suplexin' bikers and Yakuza thugs in Yakuza 7, in 2018...
    I still have to finish Yakuza 0, and then Kiwami and 6 are also incoming...

damn you Zelda.. :P
  • Avatar for JustOneThingDM #6 JustOneThingDM 3 months ago
    Yes! I am playing through Yakuza 0 (finally) this month as I've been really busy with Persona 5 and Nier:Automata. But Yakuza 0 is very entertaining and I look forward to more games in this series coming over here.

Comments