Nintendo Direct Recap: DOOM on the Switch, New Switch Bundles, and More

The Switch and the 3DS are looking really strong going into 2018.

News by Kat Bailey, .

A new Nintendo Direct dropped today, bringing with it the pretty massive news that Wolfenstein 2 and DOOM will both be coming to the Nintendo Switch.

Aside from that mini-bombshell, Nintendo had plenty of things to show, including bundles for the Switch and 2DS XL and release dates for games like Skyrim. Here's all the relevant info from today's presentation.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Nintendo began with a brief trailer for Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon-the "third" version due in November. Nintendo revealed that Necrozma's will be known as Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings, and that there will be a beach area. They also revealed new Ultra Beasts: UB- Burst and UB - Assembly. Burst will be exclusive to Ultra Sun, while Assembly will be exclusive to Ultra Moon.

If you purchase either game either, you will receive a special dusk form of Rockruff with a special move. Ultra Sun players will get a Rockruff with Tackle, Bite, Fire Fang, and Happy Hour, while Ultra Moon players will get Thunder Fang. You'll get 12 Quick Balls, too.

Finally, Pokemon Gold & Silver will be released on September 22. Purchasing either will get you a Celebi as a gift for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, which is out November 17.

Here's everything else we know about Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon so far.

More 3DS Games

Nintendo also highlighted a bunch of 3DS games. They included Mario & Luigi Super Starstar Saga; Kirby Battle Royale (January 19); Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters (September 29), Mario Party (November 10), Metroid: Samus Returns (September 15), and Layton's Mystery Journey (October 6).

For RPG fans, Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey V, and Alliance Alive will all be out between now and early 2018. A demo for Etrian Odyssey V is out today.

And hard as it is to believe, Minecraft hasn't come out on the Nintendo 3DS. That will change... today! It's out now.

New 3DS Systems: Pokeball and Orange and White

A couple new Nintendo 2DS XL versions were announced during the stream. The first is a Pokeball 2DS XL that will be out November 3. The second is an orange and white "creamsicle" 2DS XL that will be available October 6. Check out our review of the 2DS XL to see of its worth making the switch.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Nintendo showed a new trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that highlights its various factions. A lot of the early discusssion has hyped on the underwhelming character designs, and this doesn't look to change any minds.

We also meet Azurda and Rex. Azurda is a guardian airship dragon, and Rex-the game's main character-lives on his back. Azurda can also take the form of a little pet. Cute!

Nintendo's presentation also highlighted the various environments set on the back of its titans, many of which look simply lovely. And we got an extended look at the battle system, which you can see in more detail in the video. Of note is that there are a variety of blades, which can take physical forms, much like Pokemon.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be out December 1. A special edition will include a CD, a special metal game case, and a 220 page hardcover art book. There will also be a special Xenoblade Chronicles 2 themed Pro Controller.

More Nintendo Switch headlines

Kelp Dome is returning from the original Splatoon. Look for it on Nintendo Switch on September 15.

Lyndis was confirmed for Fire Emblem Warriors, which is out October 20.

Snipperclips is getting reams of new content. A new version called Snipperclips+ will include 30 new stages, including a world based on comic books. It will also update many of the original stages with new content. It can be purchased by owners of the original game as DLC. It will be out November 10.

A local and online multiplayer shooter called Morphies Law is coming first to Nintendo Switch this winter.

Rocket League is still coming to the Nintendo Switch, and it will come with special Nintendo themes cars. It'll be out this holiday season. Dragon Quest Builders will be out on Switch in Spring 2018 with a Switch exclusive Saber Cub. Kirby Star Allies will be out Spring 2018.

More games: A MOBA from Tencent called Arena of Valor will be getting a beta this winter. Skyrim on Nintendo Switch is looking pretty good, and it will be out November 17.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and DOOM Announced for Switch

Big news from Bethesda: Both Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and DOOM are coming to the Nintendo Switch. How faithful will the ports end up being? We'll just have to see. You can find more info here.

Arcade Archives Coming to Nintendo Switch

Nintendo is bringing back its classic arcade games for the Nintendo Switch. It will start with Mario Bros. on September 27, and will eventually include the following:

• Versus Super Mario Bros.
  • Balloon Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Pinball
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Punch-Out!!

This is a pretty neat addition as many of these games, especially Punch-Out!!, aren't available anywhere else. It looks like Nintendo is finally treating its history a little bit better.

Project Octopath Traveler

A turn-based 2D RPG developed by the creators of Bravely Default, Project Octopath Traveler features a mix of 2D and 3D that they've dub "2D-HD." It offers quite a bit of freedom to decide what you want to do, with each of its eight characters having their own path. Olberic can challenge evildoers and bring them to justice, or challenge people to duel. Primrose, on the other hand, can allure others into following her.

Battles will lean heavily on a "Boost System." You acquire boost points as you battle, which you can save or use to chain attacks. Identifying the right time to boost is the key to victory.

A demo of Project Octopath Traveler will be out later today. It's scheduled for a simultaneous worldwide released in 2018.

Super Mario Odyssey

Nintendo showed a new area in Mario Odyssey: Shiveria in the Snow Kingdom and Bubblaine in the Seaside Kingdom. You can become a fish, run across the water, and more.

Mario will get to new worlds by traveling on a special cap-shapred ship, which is powered by green Power Moons. The requirements are different for each kingdom. Many of these moons will be well-hidden, which should appeal to all the completionists out there.

A new snapshot mode will let you freeze time at any moment for great pictures, and will include various filters along with other bells and whistles. You will also be able to dress up in all kinds of outfits, including familiar outfits from games like Yoshi's Cookie.

Mario Odyssey will be out October 27 along with wedding-style amiibo figures. Nintendo also confirmed a Mario Odyssey Switch bundle due the same day.

Mario's nipple or Frilly Lizard Mario? Which is scarier?
    I was glad to see Alliance Alive getting a western release. Just imported the soundtrack from Japan and it is really good. This game has a strong SaGa vibe and I am loving it.

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology launch edition looks very nice. Such an amazing game--too bad it is releasing at the very end of the 3DS life cycle when almost no one will play it.

Xenoblade 2 combat has me a little concerned. I need to see more before I decide whether to pick this up at launch. Not a fan of the frenetic combat systems a la Final Fantasy XV.

Starting the Project Octopath demo now. That was my biggest and best surprise of the evening. Gorgeous graphics. I feel as though I am living FF VI all over again. Day one purchase for me.
    This has been the best year 1 of any console that I've ever owned. I love the Switch so much.
    I haven't watched this yet but like about a minute into that Xenoblade 2 trailer and OF COURSE THERE'S A WHITE-HAIRED GUY WITH A MASK.

Like, obviously I'm buying this game. Cool fighters, plus mask guy, plus giant "titan" things. BRUH THIS FANTASY GUNDAM ISN'T IT!?
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #5 Tetragrammaton 7 days ago
    @Gamer-Law The original RH had the same problem, came out right when the DS was endings its life.

Xenoblade 2 this year is awesome, and once again I ask the non-believers how they like their crow served?
    Oh man! The games coming out for the Switch:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Skyrim
    Project Octopath
    Doom
    Wolfenstein
    FE Warriors
    Mario Odyssey
    DQ Builders

There are some good stuff for the 3DS too like EOV, Radiant Historia and Strange Journey Redux, but I'm much more excited for the Switch titles. Disappointed that they didn't announce a Bayonetta 2 port or at least something from Platinum games.
    New Style Boutique 3 on 3DS in Europe this year is the best news I've heard of being in this direct.
    Boo! I just went through it and no mention of the Zelda expansion. I wonder if it'll have its own Direct later on.
    @Tetragrammaton - Very true. It originally released in 2011 when interest in the DS was waning. Not sure why Atlus is repeating that decision with the 3DS. RH is a terrific game--under-appreciated largely because of that late in console life release decision. It deserves better.
    Alliance Alive is looking good, and I was glad to see it being name-dropped in the European Direct as well. I've heard the game by the Legend of Legacy devs is better than that game, which is already a game I like... most of the time. So that's looking good there. Plus the music, I'm sure that will also be great. I'm buying relatively many limited editions these past few years, but these things are just looking *so* good.

And then there's EO V, of course. I've got the demo downloading now, though I'll probably start with a new team when the game releases and I finally get going on it. I've been playing IV recently, mostly to tide me over with a game I can just put away when I would want to until Samus Returns released... and it's got me hooked. Currently in the third land (Casual mode though... I'm new to this), and I just don't want to stop. Drawing maps is so addicting.

@Gamer-Law At least they reprinted it at some point, although they still didn't release it in Europe. Looking forward to this remake, though I don't yet know whether I will go physical or digital - that depends on whether or not Deep Silver is giving us the limited edition as well.Edited 1 weeks ago by Hoolo
    Gonna be honest. I was completely expecting Xenoblade 2 to get delayed.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one excited for Alliance Alive. It's predecessor was a pretty cool under the radar game, among my favorite for the system tbh, so a better version of that sounds pretty good to me.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #13 donkeyintheforest 7 days ago
    To me prob the biggest surprise was the Nintendo Arcade games. Its a tacit confirmation of virtual console type games coming for individual purchase, and hopefully, eventually, donkey kong available legally, in full, for the first time ever (that i know of-short of a cabinet).

Although, Wolfenstein 2 is a pretty big reveal too. Those ppl at id can usually program really well, so i bet it ends up coming out looking pretty great.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #14 Tetragrammaton 6 days ago
    @Gamer-Law Pretty easy to see why IMO: the 3DS and DS share the same system architecture, simplifying the porting work. 3DS also has a wider install base, which theoretically increases the market for it.

Turns out though that Switch is RED HOT and there's an opening for good RPGs. I think RH could have carved a good place for itself on the Switch. Oh well.

Comments