Nintendo's Next Out-Of-Stock System Will Be The SNES Mini/Classic

Let's be honest, you probably won't be able to get that one either.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo is planning to follow-up the NES Classic Edition, with a similar model aimed at the Super Nintendo, according to a report by Eurogamer. The console will likely carry forward the same official branding of the previous unit, being called the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: SNES Classic Edition. Apparently development of the system is well underway, with a planned launch this holiday season.

Nintendo launched its NES-based microconsole in November of 2016 and the tiny system was sold out from the world 'go'. Nintendo promised to bring more stock to retail, but ultimately decided to discontinue the system's sales worldwide. Eurogamer reports that moving on to the SNES Classic is why the NES Classic was discontinued. (Hey Nintendo, you could support both systems.)

Nintendo intended for the NES Classic to be a limited-time novelty item, but the company was surprised by system sales.

"What happened with NES Classic is that was a situation where the global demand was well in excess of anything we had anticipated, and that's what created shortages. The good news, at least for consumers in the Americas, is we're going to continue to make the NES Classic available," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils Aime told Wired back in January.

Two SNES Classic Edition Game Collections We Would Like to See

Bonus: We also imagine a (good) Genesis Classic Edition.

"NES Classic Edition wasn't intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans," was the company's statement when the item was discontinued.

Since this isn't an official announcement, there's no indication whether Nintendo is planning to provide far more stock of the planned microconsole. Launching in December pretty much puts the system in the same spot as the NES Classic Edition with regards to availability, with the added bonus that folks are now expecting it to sell out. Classic Nintendo.

Thats ok. It's cool and all but the reason I didnt pick up the mini NES is cause I have all the games that came with it and I bet it will be the same for the SNES mini BUT if I do find one I will pick it up.
    I did hear that AtGames has wised up to the "higher end" HD dedicated console market due to the NES Classic's success and plans to put out actually good versions of Sega and Atari hardware this year. Reasoning being along the lines of "well if Nintendo's going to botch the market, maybe someone will look at reasonable alternatives instead." Which I'm totally on board with - good emulation for either of those machines in an HD dedicated console is long, long overdue.
    Assuming this is true in the first place, I'm not terribly interested in this. Most of the few SNES games I want to play I already got on Wii (U). It helps to have been a Megadrive kid at the day.

Goes to show how much nostalgia weighs, since I was all over NES Classic Mini for Bubble Bobble alone.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #4 Tetragrammaton 3 months ago
    I wasn't too interested in the NES Classic because the games on offer weren't quite my favorite NES games. SNES has a much higher chance of being relevant to my interests. How many goats do you think would be an appropriate sacrifice to the fell gods of preordering?
    If they put the right games on it, the SNES Classic would become a must own for me. I'm thinking A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, ActRaiser (nostalgia), Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV...some of the best games ever made.
    I was luck enough to get a NES Classic at retail. Hopefully, lightning will strike again.Edited April 2017 by neilhood
    I can stand software-droughts, sub-par graphics, the absence of third-party support, but stuff like this makes me want to eschew Nintendo-fandom.
    No one will be able to get this item, yet it will sell out. Who are these robots that are buying these things before us?
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #9 Nuclear-Vomit 3 months ago
    Here's to wishing Sega would release a Genesis Mini and keep supply inline with demand. Sega can do what nintenDon't.
    Show them how it's done.

Can you imagine some Shinobi 3 and Phantasy Star IV? Streets of Rage, anyone?
    In all honesty if this is true, hopefully they have an actual preorder campaign, forecast correctly based on the sales of the nes classic mini and source the parts and mfg enough so its not an issue.

The NES classic was supposed to be a one off that filled an empty release calendar and kept retailers happy, it became much more and they weren't ready.

However we can hope they learned from all of those mistakes and adjust accordingly.
    This hurts me. SNES was the system I grew up on and I'd really love to have one of these. But I'm beyond burned out on Nintendo's tactics. Don't punish me for having a life outside of your products.Edited April 2017 by swamped
    I mean I get it but also who cares?

Because of Virtual Console I have so many games on my Wii and Wii U. Why would I pay for the aesthetic look of the system just to play the same games? Sure the gamepad probably gives it a more authentic feel or something I guess, but I don't care. I just don't get it but I'm in the minority it seems.
    Oh, excellent! I look forward to this being scrapped out of online stores by bots, perhaps even quicker the NES Classic.

My anticipation at not even having the opportunity to buy this is palpable!
    @NiceGuyNeon It's not for you. It's for people who loved SNES growing up but don't play games anymore. It's a bit of novelty nostalgia.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #15 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 months ago
    @Kat.Bailey Allegedly. ;P I mean, it seems like that market was probably the last to get their hands on it, if at all. The most nostalgic part was waiting in line early in the morning and hoping they don't run out, and actually getting one was the true novelty.

On the bright side, I might actually look into getting one. With any luck, the NES version might have burned enough goodwill that supply and demand will actually be more closely aligned.

On the other hand, they'll probably only produce one extra controller and just expect us all to pass it around and take turns.
    @Kat.Bailey yeah I can see that. If they made it available for that audience it'd make more sense. At this rate it's more likely we have more games on this thing than units available to purchase.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #17 VotesForCows 3 months ago
    Huh, I'd have considered this, but when the cancelled the NES mini I decided to set up a raspberry pi as an emulator, and that's working pretty well for me. That said, if I actually saw one in a shop I'd still be tempted!
    What if we all misheard. And it's not a "Super NES" Classic. It's actually a "Super" NES Classic.
  • Avatar for Mixingmetaphorsoup #19 Mixingmetaphorsoup 3 months ago
    I'd only buy one of these if there was a reasonable amount of stock and the games weren't already things I have or could easily get. This is a perfect opportunity to release a (good) English localization for the Romancing SaGa games! Or Cybernator (which by itself is a good enough and relatively obscure enough game), but with an actually good localization! Or Mega Man X2 and X3, which are hard to find and not nearly as well known as the first game, despite being great games as well.

(Of course, it probably wouldn't actually be a perfect opportunity to localize all three Romancing SaGa games, or any other Squaresoft games that remained in Japan, because that's probably way too much work for too little reward. Still, I'd like to hope that we can get at least Romancing SaGa 3 here in the US, I'd rather not play it and 2 on mobile, and I'm not planning on getting a Vita just for those games.)

Comments