Nintendo Puts The NES Classic Back Into Production

Nintendo is finally making all the right moves.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo has made a pair of great announcements this morning. First and foremost, the company will be putting the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition back into production. New shipments of the mini-console will start at an undisclosed date that Nintendo will announce later.

The NES Classic was released towards the end of last year to a popularity that surprised Nintendo. The retro-console came pre-loaded with 30 popular NES titles, including Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, and Final Fantasy. Unfortunately, system stock was painfully low, leading to excessive retail shortages and Nintendo discontinued the system five months later.

It looks like alternate versions of the NES Classic will be resuming production in Japan and Europe as well.

The company also revealed that more of the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition would be available at retail on launch day. Shipments of the SNES Classic were previously supposed to cease by the end of this calendar year, but Nintendo will continue to produce the system into 2018.

"Fans have shown their unbridled enthusiasm for these Classic Edition systems, so Nintendo is working to put many more of them on store shelves," said Nintendo.

The SNES Classic Edition will be launching on September 29 with a retail price of $79.99. The system will include 21 classic Super Nintendo titles, including Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy III, and EarthBound.

• Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #1 Jeremiah-Jones 2 months ago
    That's good to hear! That's how to cash in on my nostalgia Nintendo!
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #2 KaiserWarrior 2 months ago
    Finally, a step in the right direction. Nintendo gets a cookie for listening to their customers, for once.
    I WANT TO BELIEVE
    I hope that "into 2018" is their way of saying "until sales start to slow down at some point next year."
    It's earlier than I figured, but I expected this when they announced they were ending production; their statement specifically said retailers would be getting their last shipments "for this year".
  • Avatar for christophermcdougall #6 christophermcdougall 2 months ago
    This is terrific news. I was able to pre-order the SNES Classic, but it should be available for everyone to get at retail price. Now I may consider buying the NES Classic as well.
    Fool me twice, shame on me...

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Wow. Nintendo actually making some sense! I was beginning to question reality.
    Hallelujah! Hopefully I can score one this time. I refuse to pay a scalper.

I wonder if Nintendo's back catalog is going to turn into the Disney vault...
    I had a feeling this would happen! I'm glad it is. I just hope it doesn't relaunch super soon after the SNES Classic, because I imagine it's still going to be pick-up-soon-or-the-scalpers-win-again and I'm not made of money.

Comments