Nintendo Reveals The Mini-Famicom For Japan

The Mini-NES is cute, but the Mini-Family Computer is cuter.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo has already announced the Mini-NES for North America, but the company has followed up with a second mini-console: a tiny version of the Nintendo Family Computer. The Nintendo Classic Mini: Family Computer is coming to Japan on November 10 for 5,980 yen. Like the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition, the Mini-Famicom comes pre-loaded with 30 8-bit games, though the Japanese system has a different list of titles.

Oddly enough, while the Mini-NES has detachable controllers, it looks like the Mini-Famicom controllers are always attached. It's also worth noting that the controllers are tiny. Tiny as hell.

Here's the full list of Mini-Famicom games:

• Donkey Kong
  • Gradius
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Solomon's Key
  • Metroid
  • Castlevania
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • Tsuppari Ozumo (Shoving Sumo)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Mega Man 2
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Super Contra
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Dr. Mario
  • River City Ransom
  • Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai (A River City Ransom Title)
  • Mario Open Golf
  • Super Mario USA (US version of Super Mario Bros. 2)
  • Kirby's Adventure

Notable new titles include Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Solomon's Key, Final Fantasy III, Mario Club Golf, River City Ransom, Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai, Atlantis no Nazo, and Tsuppari Ozumo. The games that are exclusive to the NES Classic include Bubble Bobble, Castlevania 2, Donkey Kong Jr, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Startropics, and Tecmo Bowl.

Weird how we got Castlevania 2 if they made the agreement for Castlevania 1 for Japan. River City Ransom is a sad miss for us (hell just give us all the Kunio-kun games in one package and I would buy it). And I know I might be the only one but Final Fantasy III is personally the worse of the NES Final Fantasy. I know everyone hates 2 but I have a weird fondness for FF2. Personally I feel we got a better lineup overall which maybe not too shocking. Since in Japan they had their big NES/Famicom retro bubble. Since since prices are mostly lockdown there so if you were into playing them it was both easy and cheap to buy a Famicom and the games you want. So I felt Nintendo didn't need to work as hard with their Famicom mini than over here.
    @moochan : Haha, yeah, you might be! I loved Final Fantasy III. Easily one of my favorite 8-bit RPGs.

Of course, Dragon Warrior III and IV were better. :)Edited September 2016 by SargeSmash
  • Avatar for robertchesley19 #3 robertchesley19 11 months ago
    Interesting. Though I'm sure on this version you get to use the mic on controller 2 to kill the Pol's voice in Zelda. I agree I think US got a better overall roster of titles, though I really pine for River City Ransom to be in place of something on the NES Mini.
    I'll definitely import this to have in the other room so I dont have to unhook and move my famicom/scart stuff around
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #5 WiIIyTheAntelope 11 months ago
    So we should be expecting the mini-SNES and Super Famicoms next Christmas season then?

And..maybe even a mini-N64 the year after?

I guess I need to head over to Amazon and grab a couple extra HDMI splitters
    Weird that they didn't even add a controller port. I thought that the ability to use the faux-NES controller for Wii U virtual console was a cool part of the item.
    How does the famicom mini not even have one dragon quest game!

I'm not going to get it of course regardless, but really.

I mostly prefer this famicom mini, but I don't think I could deal with losing Bubble Bobble...

That said, I'm probably going to pick this up simply as a lovely desk accessory.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #8 VotesForCows 11 months ago
    @link6616 It is very, very cute.
    F**k!! I need this in my life!!!!
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #10 Godots17thCup 11 months ago
    It seems a little odd to me that such a nostalgia-driven device as the Mini-Famicom wouldn't have at least one Dragon Quest game (presumably III) in its library. The series looms large in that console's legacy, and Square-Enix already signed off on including Final Fantasy III.

Then again, SE has long been very hesitant about releasing straight ports of Dragon Quest games for any system, so suppose this isn't too out of character for them.
    @Godots17thCup Yeah, I suspected that Square Enix preferring to go remake over rerelease (and the complete lack of Dragon Quest games on Virtual Console) is why there weren't any added in with the Mini Famicom's game swaps.

Of course, no Dragon Quest games is a pretty frickin' huge omission given how big a deal Dragon Quest is in Japan, and especially how huge it was for the Famicom.
    @moochan Castlevania II isn't as beloved in Japan, and a big reason for that is because in the original Famicom Disk System version you had to take out the disk and flip it over whenever you entered or left a town.

Also the villagers being lying jerks wasn't a thing invented for the localization. They lied in Japan, too.
    @Godots17thCup I want to say I've heard that Horii or someone over at the Enix side said that they just don't like ports. Each time they release a Dragon Quest they redid it from the ground up. The only time I can think they ever did rerelease the old DQ games was the Wii Anniversary which is a special thing for them. Square side however feels ok with just shoving as many versions of their games out as humanly possible. With you being able to buy FF1 on Wii U, PS4, and Vita (Vita having 2 version to play the PSX and PSP versions).
    I considered importing this on the hardware alone. The silly thing is adorable! And then I saw the selection of games and realized that I'd rather stick with the NES counterpart.

Speaking of omissions, I'm surprised that Famicom Wars or the first Fire Emblem didn't make the cut. Well, the latter game does have two remakes, so maybe Intelligent Systems would rather people forget about the janky original.
    100% importing this!
    @SargeSmash FF III at least to me is the best of the NES FF's.
  • Avatar for Modern-Clix #17 Modern-Clix 11 months ago
    I want to import one as well, but more as a curiosity because look at the size of those famicom controllers! They are absurd. Why did they not make them like the NES classic controllers, that resemble the full size original?

I know they want to fit it into the side slots, but they should have made the model slightly bigger at least.

Also, visually, the NES > Famicom/