Nintendo Switch is The Company's Fastest-Selling System Ever, Breath of the Wild Has 100 Percent Attach Rate

Nintendo has to be close to the 2 million system benchmark it set for itself.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo announced today that the Nintendo Switch has sold faster in its launch month that any other system in the company's history. The Switch launched on March 3, 2017 and sold more than 906,000 units during the month in the United States, according to the NPD Group.

"Nintendo always strives to offer consumers something fun, new and different," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's President and COO. "With its various play modes and the innovative features of the Joy-Con controllers, Nintendo Switch provides unique experiences that people can take with them anywhere and share with anyone."

In Japan, the Media Create sales numbers for the week of March 27 to April 2 put Switch sales at 565,013 in total, with 45,509 system sold that week. Assuming the Europe sales stand in-between the US and Japanese numbers, Nintendo must be at or beyond the 2 million system benchmark they had for the end of the fiscal year on March 31, 2017.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was also a big winner for Nintendo, selling more than 1.3 million units. 926,000 units were for the Nintendo Switch, meaning the game sold more copies than systems available in the region. This makes Breath of the Wild one of the few 100 percent attach rate games I've ever seen, which Nintendo attributes to folks buying the standard and limited editions of the game together. Another 460,000 units were sold on the Wii U. Together, Breath of the Wild was the fastest-selling Nintendo launch game and the fastest-selling Zelda game.

In contrast, Nintendo competitors were slightly ahead in their first month of sales. The PlayStation 4 moved over 1 million systems in its first 24 hours on the market in the United States. It's a bit harder to estimate full US launch month sales, as Sony did not break them out, only noting 2.1 million units sold worldwide. Microsoft pulled 1 million in the first 24 hours across 13 countries.

Regardless, Nintendo is off to a great start. Hopefully the comapny can keep the momentum going with a Switch software release schedule that puts an anchor in each month: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming this month, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition is coming in May, Arms is in June, and Splatoon 2 comes in July.

... and in March. Who buys a console in March?
    I'd like to get one. When I can find one and afford one. I'm very grateful Nintendo didn't pull the same nonsense they did with the Wii/Gamecube Zelda Twilight Princess. Delaying the Cube version so people would get the Wii was ridiculous. I waited for the Cube version, and honestly prefer it to this day.
    Of course the Wii U remaster is pretty awesome.
    Breath of the Wild on Wii U is great, but I can see the benefit of having it portable.
    Boy. It would get even more playtime.Edited April 2017 by jeffcorry
    Buying a game for a system they might not get their hands on for a while. Ah Nin-ten-year-olds, their child-like fervor will keep Nintendo afloat as they continue to give money to a company that slaps them in the face. They will remain loyal as they scramble to find an NES Classic and buy Mario 3 for the umpteenth time on the Switch virtual console. But who am I to judge? I'm a tool that preordered both versions of the Cloud and Bayonetta amiibos today.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #4 Captain-Gonru 7 months ago
    @jeffcorry I also preferred the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, so you aren't alone there.
    And I've started seeing Switches on store shelves again. Like, for more than 30 seconds. So as long as the money isn't an issue, the opportunity should be presenting itself.
    I only bought it once.
    @The-Fool Tax returns. It's actually a good time where a lot of people have some extra cash. I always do this time of year.
    @Woogity Huh, didn't know y'all did your taxes at that time.
    The attach rate for BotW is insane! I don't have a Switch yet, but I'll buy it once I finish my Wii U backlog. Mario Kart 8 has some appeal but it was the reason I bought a Wii U. I'd spend my lunch breaks at the local Best Buy playing demo races. That's a sign of a great game. Great enough to probably buy again with a larger online community but certainly not great enough to be the reason I buy a Switch.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #9 VotesForCows 7 months ago
    @The-Fool In Ireland and the UK we pay our taxes throughout the year. Having to pay it all at once sounds like you'd need a terrifying amount of planning and self-control!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #10 VotesForCows 7 months ago
    @MHWilliams Out of curiosity, can you name any of the other 100% attach rate games? I presume you mean launch games.
    @VotesForCows The others are all pack-in games. The closest non-pack-ins get is around 85-90 percent, which is about where Super Mario 64 hit, I believe.
    "This makes Breath of the Wild one of the few 100 percent attach rate games I've ever seen, which Nintendo attributes to folks buying the standard and limited editions of the game together."

Weird theory, I would have thought it was Wii U owners or people interested in the game but not a Switch yet purchasing the Switch limited edition version. I'm not a proponent of buying multiple nearly-identical versions of the same game to begin with, but for a game without online play it makes even less sense.
    @The-Fool Tax returns and/or extra money now that I don't have to horde it all for the holidays :)
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #14 VotesForCows 7 months ago
    @MHWilliams Pretty amazing for Zelda then!
    Is this the part where Nintendo goes bankrupt? Is Nintendo still in dire need of going third-party? XD

Comments