Nintendo Switch Should Retail for About ¥25,000 in Japan [Report]

Japanese newspaper Nikkei expects the Nintendo Switch's price tag will hover somewhere around $200 - $250 USD.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

It's a big week for Nintendo and the Switch. Are you excited? We're excited. We've already spent quite a bit of time penning speculations about the system's fortunes.

We're not the only ones whispering and murmuring, though. Japanese newspaper Nikkei predicts the Switch will retail for around ¥25,000, or about $215 USD.

Nintendo Switch Development Driven By Nintendo's Younger Staff

Nintendo's new blood are moving the company forward in the era of Switch.

Mind, that's not an exact prediction. Engadget consulted with a native Japanese speaker on staff and determined the number is "the average figure consumers should plan around, but not a straight prediction or figure taken from a source familiar with the matter."

Engadget points out Nikkei has made accurate predictions on Nintendo hardware in the past, including the 3DS's capabilities, the Wii U's launch price, and the existence of the Nintendo DSi. Nikkei's latest about the Switch's pricing also aligns with rumors about the Switch costing $250 USD at launch – though we don't know if Nintendo will skew towards the lower end of the conversion rate ($200 USD). That'd be nice. That'd be super-nice.

Join us later this week for tons of Switch news. Nintendo's live presentation starts at 11pm ET / 8pm PT on January 12 (that's 4am GMT / 5am CET on Friday, January 13).

I keep trying NOT to get my hopes up for the Switch, because literally every single television console Nintendo has released post-SNES (my god, that's 25 years ago) has ultimately been a major disappointment to me personally (YMMV!). So I keep trying to adopt a wait-and-see attitude here. But if that pricing is right, and it skews towards the $200 end, I don't see how I won't be picking one up pretty quickly (assuming they're available!).
    So, anybody want to place odds on whether Nintendo will keep retailers fully stocked so costumers can easily grab a Switch? Personally, I hope they do stay with their ultra-conservative manufacturing methods because one of my best friends is a Nintendo die-hard and I love watching the salt well up him whenever he can't get the newest Nintendo product without paying an arm and a leg.
    I could get behind $230 for the price in America, but actually buying it is another question.Edited January 2017 by SIGGYZtar
    Just a heads-up: Nibel (on twitter) also posted this news yesterday, but took it down because there was an apparent misunderstanding: https://twitter.com/DualShockers/status/818161871622643712

However, the consensus seems to be that $249.99 is accurate.
    @kingaelfric Same here. The last Nintendo console I was excited for was the Super Famicom. We bought the N64 only to play Zelda 64. After that I've never bought Nintendo home console - but I have owned all of their portable consoles and never been disappointed.
    Shoot, I'd be completely happy with a $250 price tag. But just imagine how a $200 price would move units (and help me justify picking up a second game at launch).
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #7 VotesForCows 5 months ago
    Hey, thanks for proving the GMT - saved me a bit of mental maths there!

Comments