Nioh's Final DLC Slays More Yokai Later This Month

Say bye bye to more Yokai.

News by Caty McCarthy, .

Team Ninja's surprisingly good Soulslike Nioh is petering out at last. After two hefty DLC expansions this year, its final one will be released this month on September 26.

The final DLC pack Bloodshed's End will be $9.99, or included in the Season Pass if a player already owns it. The DLC wraps up protagonist William's journey through Sengoku era Japan, continuing where this summer's DLC Defiant Honor left off: where a new uprising and war has broken out even after establishing a peace negotiation between two forces.

The DLC won't be starved for additional content either. It includes new characters, Yokai, and Guardian Spirits to join the mix. A new mode, called The Abyss, throws players into a "perpetual battlefield," which sounds an awful lot like a horde or wave-based mode. Or alternatively, maybe enemies just respawn super quickly, to make for a more convenient grind. As with Nioh proper, the game and all its DLC are available exclusively on PlayStation 4.

I am going to need to seriously grind out some levels because I was not ready for the last dlc and I won't be ready for this one. I hope the Abyss will start mellow and be a good place to level up. I want to see all the new content but I was hopelessly slaughtered on my last attempt.
    @chaoticBeat Sounds like you have a good bit of experience with this (and I think I recall that you played the Souls games a lot). I haven't played Nioh, but the difficulty sounds a little off. Would you say that player skill or levelling is more important, overall?

Like in Dark Souls I nearly beat the game at SL1 (4 Kings were a roadblock) - thats a series that really values player skill.
    @VotesForCows So, ok. That is a great question and highlights (for me) a big difference between the two series.
    I am not on your level of Souls play. I love the Souls/Bourne series and I have beaten every game but I get cozy with the games usually around SL90-120. This also highlights another difference in that so many players don't level beyond these caps for pvp.
    My experience with Nioh is that I have been more of a generalist (this is true for the Souls games as well) and mostly stuck with single swords before respecing and playing around with various builds. I am not a min/max player really, I am more of a mostly casual generalist that sees the games through to the end. I have been able to complete all of the Souls games and extra content on SL120 without forging ahead through a new game+. The only Souls game I have completed multiple times so far has been Demon's Souls (about 5 times). The difference I think is that the dlc add-ons for Nioh are more tuned to feel like a new game + mode from the Souls games so that for a player like me, I really want to level up and feel more equal to the enemies as opposed to min/maxing and creating a super-powered magic build (for example).
    There are some crazy Nioh builds on youtube and these builds get remade every time a new dlc comes out as the weapons/magic/offense is rebalanced.
    I get the impression that you might fall more on the side of a highly skilled Souls player and would have a much different experience of Nioh than I have. Therefore, I can't really comment how you might feel about the difficulty because you could probably pull off moves that I'm ignoring.
    Speaking in general, Nioh has it's faults: repetitive enemy (DEMON) designs, unremarkable areas to explore, tooooooo muuuuuuuch loooooooooot, bland textures, etc. but it came out at the beginning of the year and I still want to revisit it. I just know that I'm probably going to have to grind out some levels playing repetitive lower level content because for me, it's easier than tackling the newer challenges (especially since the second dlc dropped!). I would highly recommend it to you if you're the kind of gamer that can look past a few obvious flaws in favor of great gameplay, fun multiplayer, challenging bosses and very goofy NPCs. I really mean great gameplay too: lightning fast with decapitations and severed limbs. {ESPECIALLY} if, like me, you love Souls gameplay and can accept a different kind of take on it all. It is it's own thing AND it scratches a bit of that Souls itch.
    @chaoticBeat Thanks so much for that. You make a good sell! I'm not very skillful, but I've found that really taking your time with bosses and being willing to leg it through levels goes a long way in the Souls series!
    I'm sure I will play Nioh, based on what you say. If the mechanics are right then that's usually enough for me. Not sold on the setting, but then I wasn't for Bloodborne either and enjoyed that a lot. So thanks again!
    @VotesForCows You're welcome! I hope parts of that word vomit were helpful.
    @chaoticBeat Not at all, was a useful and interesting comment from you, as always!

Comments