Okami HD Remaster Listed For PC, Xbox One, and PS4 Release

The port train doesn't stop, but it doesn't have a Switch station apparently.

News by Mike Williams, .

Last month, there was a report that an updated version of Okami HD was being released this holiday season on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Today, there's a bit more fire for that report, with the Korean Ratings Board listing ratings for 오오카미 절경판 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. If you can't read Korean Hangul - I can't, but USgamer newshound says it translates roughly to "Okami Clear View" - that's the Korean title of Okami HD, released back in 2012 for PlayStation 3.

Okami HD would be the second remaster of the game. The original Okami was released on the PlayStation 2 in 2006, with a follow-up Wii release two years later. The first Okami HD was released on PlayStation 3. According to former Capcom employees, the original game actually ran at much higher resolutions than previous generation systems could render.

"[Hexadrive chief technical programmer Junichi Iwasaki] reports that Okami HD is not just a standard upscaling, but actually renders at native 1080p, with an internal resolution--as my friend noted--of nearly 4k. Meanwhile, the game contains upwards of 13,000 texture images, all of which had to adhere to the above mantra, some of which had to be redrawn entirely," said Greg "GregaMan" Moore back in 2012.

Related Tags

Very nice.
    I remember playing the first stage of the Wii port, but never finishing it.
    Maybe this time I will.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #2 Godots17thCup 2 months ago
    I still have my PS2 and PS3 copies, so I don't exactly need to buy another port of Okami, but darn, if a Switch version wouldn't sorely tempt me to triple dip. Portable Okami!
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #3 WiIIyTheAntelope 2 months ago
    Capcom has lost their mind. Such odd decision making about what to/not to port to Switch. MegaMan, Disney Collection, and Okami are all absolutely perfect fits for the Nintendo audience and skipping the Switch. It's like they just pick names out of a hat or something.
  • Avatar for EdgeTheLucas #4 EdgeTheLucas 2 months ago
    I know "Every game should be on the Switch" is a meme, but damn, Okami would have been an especially perfect fit. I never finished Okami on the Wii because painting with the Wii remote was very hard for me (my arms aren't very steady, so my strokes were very rough and imprecise), but painting directly on the Switch's touch screen with my finger would have felt more than fitting and much easier to do. I suppose I could play the PS2 version after finding a copy of it, but I have less time to do things on a television these days, and I don't have an expensive gaming PC to emulate PS2 games on.

C'mon Capcom, Sega and Square Enix have caught up, it's your turn!Edited September 2017 by EdgeTheLucas
    PC!!

Oh wow, now I'm excited. Ōkami is one of my favorite games ever, even if it is about 15 hours too long.
    @EdgeTheLucas A lot of people missed that you could draw straight lines in that version by holding Z.
  • Avatar for mouse-clicker #7 mouse-clicker 2 months ago
    I'm always surprised when Japanese developers skip the Switch with a game but put it on the XBox One, which is selling less than 100 units a week in Japan.
    @WiIIyTheAntelope I believe it is more of a issue that Capcom like several companies were not prepared for it or its popularity. While the system itself isn't difficult setting up resources to have projects that are likely over a year in development is probably something of a issue.

That being said, anything that is coming out on the Vita, minus a exclusive contract has no excuse.
    Loved this game when I played it years back, but can't justify replaying it with that backlog making side eyes at me.

Still, what a feast for first timers. Rich aesthetics and a memorable narrative.Edited September 2017 by IPA

Comments