Opinion: Switch Isn't for Everyone, But It's Definitely For Me

From concept to software, Nintendo's new console hits all the right notes for at least one USgamer writer.

Article by Jeremy Parish, .

Not everyone was blown away by Nintendo's international Switch announcement stream last night. I don't count myself among those people.

Well, it wouldn't be correct to say I was blown away, exactly. Nothing about that presentation seemed particularly revelatory or offered any real shock. Rather, the Switch looks to be precisely what I hoped it would be: A console whose function and software align almost completely with my needs and interests as a gamer. That's no small feat, because I've become awfully finicky about games in my old age.

I grew up playing Nintendo consoles, because when you were a kid growing up in late '80s America, you had a Nintendo Entertainment System. But I haven't loved every Nintendo device to bob along down the line through the years. The Nintendo 64 fell terribly short and drove me to buy competing hardware for the first time in my decade of Nintendo fandom - which was no bad thing, because that opened my eyes to many other kinds of game experiences and styles. And while I liked the Wii in principle, in practice I mostly used it as a fitness tracker and a medium for playing old games.

Switch, on the other hand... I've been in love with this new system since, oh, 2012. Not that Switch existed back then, when the Wii U was just barely launching. It's just that the sort of odd, not-quite-there design of both 3DS and Wii U started me and some friends to talking about how great it would be if Nintendo stopped segregating its hardware design between consoles and handhelds and simply went all-in on a hybrid machine you could take with you on the go then dock for television-based play - similar to the PSP-2000's television-out feature, but better.

Switch turned out to be precisely that, which is great for me: That's how I want to play games. I can see where my particular needs wouldn't be shared by everyone, though. Some people want greater horsepower in a console, and Switch's portability makes the idea of it competing on equal terms with PlayStation 4 Pro or Scorpio simply impossible. Most people want a less expensive console, even though $300 strikes me as being on the low-end for a brand-new machine, especially one with a built-in capacitative touch screen. Have you seen how much an iPad costs? (Nintendo's Switch accessory pricing suggests to me that they've priced the console as low as they reasonably can and intend to make up the difference through inflated add-on price tags, kinda like Sony with its Vita memory card highway-robbery pricing.)

In action, Nintendo hybrid design demands compromises up and down the line. It's a little too expensive, a little too underpowered, its battery life leaves much to be desired, and its vast ocean of accessories adds greater cost, complexity, and potential to lose key components to the mix. None of these compromises constitute deal-breakers for me, though, because the fundamental appeal of the Switch (console-class experiences through a dynamic format) outweighs all of those shortcomings. I love me some handhelds, but I've finally hit the point of life where my eyes are changing too much for me to feel comfortable staring at small screens for endless hours. But I hate being tied to a television or computer for long gaming sessions; it makes me restless. Switch will free me from the TV without causing eyestrain, and that's beautiful.

Nintendo Switch Launch Line-up Includes Zelda: Breath of the Wild and 1-2-Switch

Nintendo outlines the games you can play in the Nintendo Switch's first few months.

None of this would matter if the console's library came cross as a wet fart, though, and happily Nintendo's initial teasers gave me hope on that front, too. Ample hope. Super Mario Odyssey looks bizarre, but in the best sense of the word "completely mad." Zelda's going to be excellent, of course. And I specifically held off on buying Skyrim Remastered because I'm going to be able to sink more time into it via Switch than I would have on PlayStation 4. But did you see all those new role-playing game announcements? Everything from Shin Megami Tensei to a Xenoblade sequel giving off heavy Chrono Cross vibes to a SaGa-esque hand-drawn RPG by the Bravely Default people. And who knows what else! I'm sold, basically. Between the promise of core Nintendo creations, access to classic games, and a raft of RPGs that essentially peg Switch as the spiritual successor to the DS/3DS RPG legacy, I'm sold.

I'm also not so naïve as to think this thing is a guaranteed success. It straddles a lot of the same lines as Wii U and Vita, two systems I've also really liked for their unconventional, semi-hybrid natures. It's a tough sell for Nintendo, and all my high hopes and personal interest, I also recognize that last night's presentation was not the way into the average gamer's heart. Fortunately, Switch supposedly is incredibly easy to develop for, and so long as Nintendo doesn't impose cumbersome Switch-specific features the way they did for Wii U, the road map for porting games from PS4 or PC to Switch should be painless enough to ensure a healthy roster of software... even if a fair amount of it is hand-me-downs.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming!

So, I guess that's one Switch Nintendo has a guaranteed sale for. Another 29,999,999 and it could be a serious contender.

I would like the Nintendo Switch, if it wasn't so expensive. Plus, the JoyCons are way more complicated than they need to be, especially when they can easily be lost, if you had any TV remote since EVER. Line up sounds great, but I want to know what Nintendo will do in year 2 and 3, because if they haven't begun planning they're already six years behind.

It seems like Nintendo has realized there is a market for those too busy to console game in the usual style, ie sit down in front of a monitor all night, with this thing. I'm one of them! Like people who read in bed, I want to game in bed, just not in front of a massive screen. Just tell me when Super Robot Wars is coming out Bandai Namco, and I'll be a cappy hamper.Edited 2 times. Last edited January 2017 by SIGGYZtar
    I'm also totally down with the hardware design- despite the flak the joycons are getting, I think they look pretty comfortable (and I've got pretty large hands). It'll be worth it for Mario Odyssey and MK8 Deluxe alone, but I still think it has the potential to be the ultimate "Virtual Console" console- especially with two built-in, retro-compatible controllers. Sure, the price tag is too high and last night's presentation left something to be desired, but they sold me on the concept all the same. Excited to pick one up this summer.
  • Avatar for ericspratling56 #3 ericspratling56 3 months ago
    This will be a godsend to gamers like me, who have small children. I can play it in the basement while watching my toddler play. I can play it in a parked car after I've successfully driven my daughter to sleep. I can play it on the treadmill or exercise bike while my kids are upstairs maxing out their daily time in the gym's daycare.

All that advertising making it sound like it's for cool 20-something hipsters who want to impress airport babes or challenge their bros to a 2K round immediately after a real life basketball game-- ha! We all knew from the start this was for 30-something dads desperate for some uncompromised gaming-on-the-go.
  • Avatar for ericspratling56 #4 ericspratling56 3 months ago
    Also, there (perhaps understandably) wasn't much comment on it at the event, but is there any word on how many Wii U games will be ported over to Switch? That console was never worth it to me but there ARE a handful of gems on it I'd gladly pick up, especially with the convenience of portability. Seems like it would be easy money.
    Great write-up Jeremy! I have the exact same feeling. Even if the Switch isn't for everyone, it seems to be tailored to my every need as a gamer. I'm definetely excited to play it, specially considering that the New 3DS is my most played system thanks to its portability.
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #6 Mikki-Saturn 3 months ago
    I totally agree Jeremy, I was surprised to see not one, not two, but THREE new JRPG announcements, all of which looked pretty neat! Also presumably Dragon Quest XI will make it to America and be pretty good. So at least four cool looking JRPGs already - is that an unprecedented quantity for a reveal presentation?

Also, I have been wanting another Mario 64-esque Mario game for ages, and it's finally coming! I couldn't be more excited about that. And Zelda looks absolutely stunning.

So yeah, it really pushed the right buttons for me. I even thought Arms looked cool - it reminds me a bit of Virtual On. I am concerned though that they did not do enough to persuade fence sitters. Consumers who are understandably skeptical of Nintendo - what did they see? Overall I wonder if it was a bit too Japanese focused? It's also surprising that they didn't highlight a few more of the upcoming games, like Mario Kart Deluxe. But overall I'm really on board with this system right now.Edited January 2017 by Mikki-Saturn
    Your comments are right in line with where I find myself as a 40-something gamer. The Vita has been my go to machine for those reasons, supplemented by the 3DS. Pre-ordered already, but what I want to see more of to really make me happy is how this thing will handle the retro side of things. I need GameCube VC, I need my prior digital purchases to at least get me a discount, I need Genesis and PC Engine, and I need to see a Joy-con option with a real d-pad. Oh, and NVidia porting the Shield HL2/Portal remasters wouldn't hurt either.
    I will eventuallly be getting one as I travel every other week for work and portable gaming is essential (not to mention when I'm at home after the kids are in bed), but there wasn't enough reason for me to jump on this until winter st the earliest. Especially since I have a Wii U and most of these games are ports of experience I already can enjoy. My concern is the severe lack of 3rd party support that seems to be coming and what appears to be a dearth of Nintendo software. I was hoping for a strong release of home and portable experiences but maybe that isn't in the cards for the system at this point.
    Deleted January 2017 by cldmstrsn
    I feel pretty much the same as you, Jeremy, and I know I will buy the Switch eventually, but I'll wait. It is too expensive, the launch line-up won't do much for me (I'm a Zelda fan, but I waited so long for BOTW that my hype died and I can actually wait another year) and who knows, by the time Xenoblade 2 actually launches (I don't believe 2017 for a second) maybe there's even a "new" hardware revision on the horizon.
    I definitely agree that this hybrid portable/console thing is perfect and almost designed for me. Their teaser trailer sold me instantly.

Watching the reveal last night I felt like they didn't sell that at all. I felt they pushed way too hard on motion controls and joy-cons that can feel like they have ice cubes in them (WTF?). That might have been fine to bring out later in the conference. I felt that putting it first said "This is what's special." Not games. Then they just kept hitting that theme with 1,2 Switch and Arms and I feel put out.

By the time they got to the great stuff: Mario, Xenoblades, SMT and that hand drawn Bravely Default team game I was nearly tuned out. Ending on Zelda was a huge high note but beginning with 20 minutes of "This is not for you. This is for the person who loved Wii Bowling" was a huge turnoff.

I think I'll still be getting one but I'll probably wait due to the price and a near certain lack of consoles on launch day. Plus I haven't seen the OS, the Virtual Console and the account system. All things I was jazzed for and they completely forgot.Edited January 2017 by ArdeaAbe
    I understand the main presentation isn't the best time, but I was hoping in the follow ups that they would at least mention Virtual Console, aside from the silly NES/Super NES rental game tied to their premium online service.
  • Avatar for DedicatedDark #13 DedicatedDark 3 months ago
    As a gamer who would love to play local co-op games but can't find people to play with Switch is great, finally I can force the people I know into gaming and game series like Monster Hunter without compromising on the single player aspect. Switch is definitely for me.
    I agree largely with this, the promise of a unified Nintendo library, good indie support and hopefully, a strong Virtual Console make Switch perfect for me, in addition to the odd Western title and the primarily Japanese support. However, price for me IS a deal-breaker, particularly because Nintendo games have jumped in price here in the UK. Zelda costs £40 on Wii U, but £60 on Switch. Add that to the £280 price-tag, and the expensive peripherals, and the fact I have Kart on Wii U and can get Zelda on Wii U, and jumping in at launch has lost all appeal.

I will be buying by Christmas, and I really hope by then the system is cheaper. At its current price, I cannot see Switch succeeding. With an aggressive price cut and another major blockbuster alongside Mario this Christmas (Pokemon!), I think Switch can power on to be a moderately successful system. Nintendo better be working on Pokemon Stars, though, because without that and a price cut I don't see Switch working out. Oh, and they better be throwing heaps of cash at Capcom to secure Monster Hunter. With that, they rule Japan, and with Japanese support, Switch will tick along ok.Edited 2 times. Last edited January 2017 by Mr.Spo
    @ericspratling56 I'm not even a dad and I agree with you (and Jeremy) completely.

The 3DS is my go-to console these days. I play it pretty much every day, be it on my exercise bike, during breaks at work, waiting for a table at a restaurant, sitting in my favorite recliner while sipping on a nice glass of whiskey, or lying in bed. Occasionally I'll play it while watching a TV show with my wife if it's something I've seen before or I'm not particularly invested in. The Switch will let me keep doing all of these things while also offering me the opportunity to drop it in the dock and play on a TV. I can easily imagine myself playing the Switch when I have kids too.

The price is exactly what I expected it to be. I'm not really sure what people expected, and I've seen a lot of comments elsewhere saying, "Oh, but I could buy a PS4 for less." Sure, but that's a 3-year-old home console and you can't exactly walk out the door with your PS4 and expect it play it on-the-go.

I'll admit, the launch line-up looks disappointing and the "2.5 hours" for the low estimate on battery life makes me a bit hesitant, but Nintendo (finally) using a non-proprietary charging method (USB-C) means it'll be easy to charge on the go using a car charger or an external battery pack.

Plus, I'm very excited for all the RPGs announced for it. Sure, some of them are coming to other consoles as well, but having a convenient way to play them is almost essential for me since they take several hours to complete.

And hell yes for more SMT. Jeremy, I picked up SMTIV a few weeks ago based on your 5/5 review (I was look at SMTIV Apocalypse but decided to give the original a shot, especially since it was only $20) and I love it. I'm also glad I'm not the only one getting a SaGa vibe from... uhh... whatever the hell Square Enix named it... Octopath Traveler! It looks pretty cool, even if it'll take me forever to remember that name.

Sure, maybe the Switch isn't a day-one purchase for me (if they're easy to find I might change my tune), but I'll definitely be getting one once the games start rolling out.
  • Avatar for ericj.baker43 #16 ericj.baker43 3 months ago
    The only slightly disappointing element of the presentation for me was the higher-than-expected price tag-- especially without a pack-in along the lines of Wii Sports or Nintendoland-- but it's still fairly inexpensive overall and it's making me realize that the "projected" price points were based more on wishful thinking than anything. I mean, it's essentially a $300 high end gaming tablet with a controller and TV dock included... that's actually really well priced for that.

But more importantly, the hybrid design is a godsend for me. I have a PS3 and a WiiU, and although I own more PS3 games, I end up playing my WiiU more because of the off-screen capability. I don't even have kids, but my wife and I have just one TV and we don't always agree on how we'd like to use it; the WiiU is super handy at helping us compromise, so she can watch Netflix if she wants and I can play a game. Or, even more common since my wife is in grad school and often has a ton of homework, I can play a WiiU game on the tablet and plug in headphones and not worry about distracting her while she's working. My 3DS gets a ton of play for the exact same reason! And now Nintendo is making a system that takes by far the WiiU's greatest feature and brings it to its next logical conclusion? That's a day one purchase for me, the first time I've bought a new console at launch since I camped out for a Gamecube in middle school.
  • Avatar for ericj.baker43 #17 ericj.baker43 3 months ago
    @ericspratling56 I completely agree-- I feel like the Switch was tailor made for 30+ year old gamers who have families and/or professional lives that make sitting down to play a home console game difficult. The young ones who have the ability to play games for 10 hours a day seem to hoover up the Playstations and XBoxes, but that's not me. My gaming habits lately have shifted towards much more simple, pick-up-and-play type games because I've played more on portable systems, so the Switch will actually give me the ability to get more into longer form games by letting me play them how I want to.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #18 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago
    Make that 29,999,998...
  • Avatar for DemiurgicSoul #19 DemiurgicSoul 3 months ago
    Jeremy, please write a weekly column of your take on the games industry. It's so refreshing to get a different perspective on everything. And I would be lying if I didn't admit that I partly like it because it largely aligns with my perspective, and I often feel like am alienated from the larger gaming community because of it, and that includes most of the people who write for the games press, where it seems like they all have the same opinions on everything.Edited January 2017 by DemiurgicSoul
  • Avatar for icecoldcakemix #20 icecoldcakemix 3 months ago
    I agree with you, Jeremy, and feel like this system was made for me. But it kind of feels like it was made for people who owned Wii U's, Gamecubes, and N64's. And not enough people owned those systems to drum up healthy profits. I'm having a hard time finding optimism about this whole situation. I hope I'm wrong.
    I preordered one for Zelda at launch. I know SMT is a looooooooong ways away but that trailer was so like Nocturne's title screen!!!! :O
    This is the hitch I'm in right now. I don't think the Switch is overpriced, but it's something I can't afford. I'll need to be setting money aside to be able to afford it, and I'm not going to be able to do that in time for launch, and I'm hoping for some sort of holiday price drop or something. This isn't me calling Nintendo unreasonable, or accusing them of trying to bilk money out of me, it's just a reality of my situation, and I don't think I'm alone.

It's part of a larger issue I've had with games for the last few years. I understand that games have been in a race to the bottom for pricing or a while now, and I know that AAA games are actually cheaper with inflation and all that than they have been in the past, but they're something I can't afford to pay that sort of price for, so I wait for sales, I gobble things up on steam, I buy used, and that doesn't really help the Devs as much. I don't think anyone's trying to pull one over on me or anything, but I have the money I have. As much as I want the switch at launch, and as important as I know the launch is going to be for Nintendo, I just can't be there to help.
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #23 mobilesworking 3 months ago
    Kat's reaction piece is well argued but too dour for my particular interests, which align pretty closely with yours, Jeremy. What I saw last night is not a way to swim again in the "blue ocean" and that worries me; Nintendo can't afford another Wii U. But as a fan of the weird, the innovative, and of Nintendo in general, I am plenty excited for the Switch and the market it's prepared to serve.
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #24 mobilesworking 3 months ago
    @ericj.baker43 Let's hope one of those octopaths leads to a better title.
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #25 mobilesworking 3 months ago
    Deleted January 2017 by mobilesworking
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #26 jeremy.parish 3 months ago
    @DemiurgicSoul My new venture basically will consist of me talking about my perspective on the current games industry!
    @mobilesworking I understand what Kat says, but lets also be honest, while NoJ lacks the energy NoA has and comes off as awkward for what is a very cool device, I was prepared for Kat to be negative before the presentation even aired.

I am looking forward to this, because my views are closer to Jeremy's and this is perfect for my lifestyle.

Is it perfect? No. I think the price is fine and this is what I expected. 250 would have been sweet, but that was wishful thinking. I called 299. Some people were even hoping for 200, which is absurd.

My only gripes, battery is 3-6 hours which is a wide range, which is what the regular sized 3DS clocks at. Was hoping for better.

My other concern is how online is being handled, since everything regarding that was so vague.

My final concern, is that there are a lot of games I am excited about. Especially the rpg's. However, they are not out on launch, so I want to know the road map of games in between releases.
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #28 matthewcooley77 3 months ago
    Pre-ordered mine this morning. (Well, my wife pre-ordered it for me.) It's not that the launch line-up is so fantastic that I have to get it ASAP. But I'll want one before long regardless, and I'd rather play Zelda on the Switch than Wii U, and I DO want Zelda at launch, so that adds up to a pre-order.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #30 UnskippableCutscene 3 months ago
    This is Nintendo's Dreamcast.

People are going to read meaning into those words for events happening seven or eight years down the line, but what I mean more than that is that the Dreamcast was kind of where Sega's developers started letting down their hair and saying, "you know what, let's stop focus testing everything and just make something strange."

Zelda breaks all kinds of conventions, but why not? People were getting tired of the lack of voices acting, and the linear structure.
    Mario is incredibly weird running alongside 'real' people, but why not? "Mario story canon" is one of those things only a niche of people have ever cared about (Mario used to be known for stuffing the story in the manual anyway).

The 3D Land/World team supposedly came to Miyamoto with several rejected concepts that were struck down before landing on what they did. That may have been a quality filter, but Miyamoto is also the guy who has supposedly green-lit all these New SMB games that we've slowly become burned out on. It's possible that, now Miyamoto is promoted into senior leadership, those guys can make eschew the formula for something more unconventional, and that leads us to talking hats, Dapper Bowser, and New Donk City.

The other facet of the Dreamcast comparison is that the Dreamcast really only packed in and left the stage because of Sony's incredible pre-launch hype. Their established library of interesting games was trounced by PS2's weak launch lineup only because the idea of a better looking Metal Gear Solid, a better looking Final Fantasy 7/8/9, a better looking Gran Turismo etc tickled the PSone-owning public far better than a system that already had a library full of unique titles and was building out it's online plans. The Dreamcast was actually a good machine and capitalism simply didn't allow us to see the future where it was successful. The Switch could be different. We haven't seen Microsoft Scorpio yet, but that company doesn't appear to be in a situation to eat Nintendo's lunch if the best thing it has going for it is Halo Wars 2.

All that out of the way, I really do think this is Nintendo's last console, but that's because of how I viewed last night's event. I'm sure they have a do-or-die mentality for this thing though, and when a company starts thinking things like "this might be our last headlining Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Kirby/whatever before it has to compete in the third party space, so let's make it a good one" that all bets are off.Edited 2 times. Last edited January 2017 by UnskippableCutscene
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #31 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago
    @jeremy.parish Do you think the presence of Neo Geo games coming via Arcade Archives has anything to do with the lack of a Virtual Console announcement or is it just something ported over from ps4 and completely separate?
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #32 mobilesworking 3 months ago
    @Modern-Clix Agreed. $200 always struck me as wishful thinking with no real basis in reality. And $250, while preferable for mass-market sales, looks unrealistic given the tech crammed into the system. I don't know enough about supply chain costs to say this with any certainty, but I'd be surprised if Nintendo is making anything but a marginal profit off the hardware.
    I find the hardware nearly perfect for my current gaming lifestyle. As long as I don't have to try and use the JoyCons separated from the main unit for ANYTHING, I can see enjoying the portable configuration the most. But I see zero titles I would play beside Zelda. And I bought a Wii at launch for the same series and ultimately regret owning that console when only a few additional titles ever appealed to me in the system's lifetime. I think this will be another wait and see affair. I can't wait for the Retronauts that basically laments the Virtual console again (but this time on Switch) in a few years. :P

I was excited to buy one up until today. Here's hoping the "updated" Switch will come out once the system has matured with more of a library and the online infrastructure has worked out its kinks. I really want my 4 year old daughter to play one of these, but I don't think it is worth the investment yet.
    I'm a long time defender of portable gaming, but Nintendo hasn't sold me on this yet. Zelda and Mario will be solid, but not worth the $400+ alone. HD SMT is exciting, but that's years away a this point. While I love the Vita, a spiritual successor to that and the Wii U is a tough sell, and I wonder how much third party support will stick around.
    @UnskippableCutscene It will be worth it if we get Nintendo Seaman (starring Miyamoto-san) and Nintendogaga!

I think the perception that Nintendo was going to have to come out swinging and have more than Zelda in the cards at launch is a big part of the disappointment. Instead we have touched up ports and wii sports retreads. Wait, what?Edited January 2017 by TheWildCard
    Bomberman! :D
    I completely agree, Jeremy. Not much to add, really. I just hope it's successful enough to get an extensive library.

Well, I could add that I really like how it enables local multiplayer anywhere.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #38 SatelliteOfLove 3 months ago
    They made a great PC companion, like with the 3DS and Wii U to me.
  • Avatar for I-m-not-Daredevil #39 I-m-not-Daredevil 3 months ago
    My feelings as well! I hoped one or two things went a little more my way (the price will be $550 in NZ which is a bit of a hit), but it's essentially a console made for me. I have the exact same needs as Jeremy - I love handhelds so much but want a bit more of a luxury experience out of them and playing on the TV makes me restless. I'm happy :)
    @jimgamer I can just see the joy-con that looks like the left and right sides of an NES or SNES controller. Seems like a great way to capitalize on nostalgia. Though the proportions might be too far off I guess. Still, they could follow the same color scheme and button placements. It would be interesting to see them try that, and to try to make a Gamecube version as well.Edited January 2017 by Dr-Lame
    Count me in the sold camp. Already pre-ordered my console with Zelda.

Now if only they could add more games to the launch lineup...
  • Avatar for Hero-Protagonist #42 Hero-Protagonist 3 months ago
    My gaming sessions in front of a television are nearly non-existent; living in a single bedroom apartment with my girlfriend necessitates our current compromise: handheld gaming. I carve out my game time on my 3ds and my vita while she watches the television.

The Switch speaks to me in that it is an elegant execution of the promise of the Wii U gamepad, I loved off-tv play but the compression, the screen size and the chunky toy-like build of the gamepad always made it feel like a half-baked concept. With the Switch I can finally chisel out some game-time provided Nintendo repair some of those third party relationships and give Virtual Console the attention it so thoroughly deserves.
    @Dr-Lame They would be crazy not to. GC version could even have analog triggers for a bit of Super Mario Sunshine action. Sony still understands the importance of the d-pad placement. 2D games on handheld are best with the PSP-2000 d-pad, then Vita, and probably the DSLite/GB Micro. Even the 3DS XL d-pad is a little too low and stiff, and don't even mention the GC d-pad. WiiU gamepad got it right, so we know they can do it. Looks like Hamster's Arcade Archives are coming to the Switch - the thought of playing Gradius/Salamander/Gradius II with analog makes me shudder!Edited January 2017 by jimgamer
    I align more with Jeremy.
  • Avatar for modernlove69 #45 modernlove69 3 months ago
    I'm so into this, and the 2nd version with double the battery life next year, and the 3rd with all the memory and a better screen the following year that finally makes it perfect.
    I've never been an early adopter, only getting an NDS in... 2009 or so by pure chance, a 3DS in 2014...?, a smartphone in 2015, and a Wii U in 2016. And for the most part, I was glad I did. Yea, it's great to be there for the hype, but when I got my 3DS, I had loads of games to play, and basically no downtime. If there was something cool coming out, I could play it right then and there, and if not, there were still a lot of games I hadn't played yet. Same for the Wii U, which I enjoy greatly.

I'm sure I'll get a Switch eventually. Almost definitely not in 2017, but maybe in 2018. It depends on what it has to offer, game-wise. For now, I can do with my enormous backlog, and I definitely don't need to add an entire console worth of games to that. If cool games release throughout the year (Virtual Console hopes are high), that's great! I'll be able to play those when I finally get the system. For now, I'll just look at it all and see what happens. If it takes off big, so much the better. But even if it doesn't, it still sounds great to me. I love my Wii U, and I'm sure I'll love the Switch as well. Just... not this year, I don't think.
    Deleted January 2017 by Hoolo
    I completely agree with your sentiments, Jeremy. I understand the compromises that went into the Switch's design, but the one thing that baffles me is the lack of HDMI out on the main unit. (Or a wireless alternative like Chromecast) It was great that the Sega Nomad had standard ports for a Genesis AC adapter and AV cables. I can't figure out why the Switch requires the dock. Is it because they want to make sure the system is plugged in to a power source and/or extra cooling while running in 1080p? (Assuming the games run in 1080p this time; it certainly was rare on the Wii U) Is it to prevent people from getting confused/upset that the system's screen doesn't run when it's outputting to a TV? Is it just to encourage people to pay for multiple docks?
    Unfortunately, that’s the issue. The Switch is perfect for people like me (someone with broader tastes in gaming and a commuting lifestyle), yet I wasn’t the one who needed convincing but rather everyone else. And I’m unconvinced Nintendo will achieve that. ._.

At least I will enjoy this little hybrid for as long as I can.Edited January 2017 by docexe
    First I'm hearing about the ease to develop for although I guess considering the architecture I should have known. That is seriously a boon and should at the very least mean we get all the top indy games which really suit handheld. I'm holding off on Stardew Valley on Xbox for that same reason. I'll also take Spelunky and Fez please!

I think they messed up the presentation, should have been a Direct or have let NoA handle it but it doesn't change the fact that this is the most desireable looking Nintendo hardware for me since the N64 and that analogue stick. It may not have all the grunt but it's multifaceted in a way most can understand by showing not telling.

All in all I'm really excited tempered with some trepidation.
    Deleted January 2017 by JiveHound
    @Mikki-Saturn Virtual On! Of course! I've been comparing to Punchout/PowerStone but that's a far better comparison.
    @UnskippableCutscene I really want Nintendo to stay in hardware but I think releasing games on other consoles and competing there is not as hard as convincing someone you need to buy their console.

Nintendo games sell on established formula, they sold over 35 million copies of Mario Kart Wii. The PS4 is doing big number and may overtake Wii. Combined with Xbox and PC they have far more selling potential even if they make less on each.

I think Switch will have to lose them money overall to be bullied into it by the investors, I hope it finds its market. I will buy one.
  • Avatar for ericj.baker43 #54 ericj.baker43 3 months ago
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder how people would feel about the Switch if they thought of it as a supercharged handheld and not a portable home console, i.e. a successor to the 3DS instead of the Wii U. The two markets have been converging for a while in terms of content-- the 3DS is getting (scaled down) Wii and Wii U games, and the Vita was getting PS3 games. I have a feeling people wouldn't be so down on the Switch if they thought of it that way.
    @jimgamer Yeah, you make a really good point! A good D-pad is essential to enjoy a lot of games--especially 2D games. But even with 3D games, I always navigate menus with the D-pad. And while the pro controller D-pad may turn out to be nice, that's not a good portable solution.

So like you said, they really do need at least some kind of joy-con with a D-pad. I just hope it won't take them a year plus before they finally come out with a "Super Nintendo on the go!!" campaign or something like that.
    Deleted January 2017 by Samustroid
    Deleted January 2017 by Samustroid
    Deleted January 2017 by Samustroid
    @jimgamer Agree one hundred percent. A Joy Con sold separately with a d-pad is a fantastic idea.

Great article, Jeremy. This thing has Nintendo all over its DNA and it is a day one purchase for me. Luckily I preordered.Edited January 2017 by Samustroid

Comments