Phantom Dust Creator Wants to Kickstart a Sequel

Yukio Futatsugi is interested in crowdfunding a follow-up to his Xbox cult classic, but there are hurdles to clear

News by Brendan Sinclair, .

Yukio Futatsugi may be best known as the creator of Panzer Dragoon and the developer behind the upcoming Xbox One spiritual successor Crimson Dragon, but he was also responsible for another cult hit, the Xbox-exclusive 3D action-strategy game Phantom Dust. A mix of one-on-one arena battles with card collecting and deck-building, Phantom Dust found an audience with Xbox gamers who loved Japanese games. Unfortunately, that proved to be a narrow cross-section of the audience.

I interviewed Futatsugi earlier today at his E3 hotel, and while most of that conversation will have to wait for another day to see publication here, there was one tidbit I wanted to share right away. Specifically, Futatsugi said he wants to make a new Phantom Dust, and he wants to crowdfund it.

"I've been really interested in how the Kickstarter movement has been going, and I think it would be great if it actually stays part of the industry," Futatsugi said. "The reason why I looked into Kickstarter is because I wanted to Kickstart a Phantom Dust game."

Unfortunately, Kickstarter's requirements that projects be based in the UK or US is a huge hurdle, Futatsugi said, and would require him to either create an international company or partner with someone else. On top of that, Japanese gamers would have difficulty sending their pledges through the system without local credit cards or Amazon accounts. So for now, Futatsugi said he can't really go for the idea, but he's hoping Kickstarter changes its policies or more viable alternatives can spring up.

Futatsugi also shared a bit of his vision for the game. With Microsoft owning the Phantom Dust IP, a Sony console version is out, but Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC, and even smartphones are all potential targets. And with Microsoft pushing SmartGlass for second-screen functionality, Futatsugi said it would be a natural solution to have an app that let players create their skill decks while on the go, and try them out on the console or PC when they got home.

So there you go, Phantom Dust fans: a ray of hope. Cruel, cruel hope. Then again, the Panzer Dragoon crowd probably wasn't too optimistic about Futatsugi providing them with a spiritual successor a few years ago, either.

I would love a Phantom Dust sequel! An HD remake/remaster of the original would be cool, too.
    Phantom Dust was the game that helped me understand what the big deal was about Xbox Live. I was hooked on the combat, and the world is still quirky and interesting to this day.
  • Avatar for aaronpinsley40 #3 aaronpinsley40 3 years ago
    Sounds like if this is going to happen, Futatsugi needs to parter with a US developer for at least some of the work and probably call it something other than "Phantom Dust" so that he doesn't have to deal with Microsoft.
    I would back this in a second.
    I would love a sequel especially with the online of today, it would be great!
    Awesome, I hope this gains traction.
    i loved this game, not just cause the storyline is awesome but cause of it's originality. I really hope a phantom sequel will be confirmed sometime in the future.
    This game was amazing. I really hope he can. i would donate to it in a heartbeat.
    Can't believe I missed this article when it was posted. Anyhow, I am 100% behind the return of Phantom Dust. Hopefully Mr. Futasugi can make it happen.
  • Avatar for Antix_Crescendo #10 Antix_Crescendo 3 years ago
    WOW! I Can't believe i didn't hear about this immediately. Funny enough I stumbled onto this article because I was trying to put together a video to increase awareness of games people probably overlooked (this one was about Phantom Dust) I would definitely back this idea 100%. This has to happen!!!!!
  • Avatar for führerkailecross48 #11 führerkailecross48 3 years ago
    TAKE OUR MONEY !!!
    Hey all! I made an account on this site just to comment here. A few old PD players art trying to throw together a revival campaign to let the word out that the fans still love the game! And we all would love to play it again, or a sequel of our beloved PD! the Facebook page is here

Hope all you PD players give a shout and hand with this campaign! Or anyone not lucky enough to give it a try!
  • Avatar for travisjuchter88 #13 travisjuchter88 2 years ago
    I have never been more excited for a game in my life till I saw the trailer for this. As a matter of fact a long time ago someone Asked me that random question "what would you do with a million dollars?" I actually answered without missing a heart beat "to have Phantom Dust remade for today's generation of technology" I still own the classic all though it doesn't seem to run very well on 360 for some reason, I will never get rid of it. The story was absolutely amazing and NEW, not some rethought up zombie style game or shooter. Albeit parts of the game were very slow and boring like walking around the town but you have to look past that. The combat was new and exciting to see how the "deck" you built would play out against a friend. Back in my younger yu-gi-oh days (don't judge) a friend of mine and I would race home after school, system link our systems, give each other 10min to make a deck, then hit the maps. I played a lot of CoD (which I gave up on a long time ago due to its repetive BS), BF 3-4, and other multiplayer combat games but I would trade them all for the emersive wonderfullness (that's right I said it) of a phantom dust remake. This game alone may be the only reason I get an xboxone, by the time it comes out they should be quit cheap by then, so I can make my gf fall in love with this game with me. I'm a PC only gamer and that should mean something. If there is a kick starter you bet your ass I'm gonna help.
    This post may be very good and helpful. Thanks to do this post, I am waiting in your next post.
    https://copaamerica.liveEdited 3 times. Last edited May 2016 by Helen55