PlayStation Puts in a Surprisingly Slight Showing to Conclude an Average Weekend of E3 Press Conferences

Predictable announcements and lots of delays into 2018 highlight the fact that it's truly the middle of the generation.

Opinion by Kat Bailey, .

Sony has made a habit of really killing it with their press conferences of late. Seemingly every year has featured at least one supremely awesome announcement that's been able to get everyone talking.

This year that announcement was a full Shadow of the Colossus remake: An exciting if not necessarily earth shattering revelation. Shadow of the Colossus is, of course, one of the greatest games of all time, and it's great to see it in a modern engine. But then, it's a 13-years-old game that a whole lot of people have already played. It was a good start, but Sony wasn't able to keep up the momentum this year.

The rest of Sony's press conference mostly followed along as expected. We got a good long look at Days Gone, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and God of War--all games heavily anticipated for the Sony press conference. We were surprised by Monster Hunter finally making a proper appearance on next-gen consoles. We got the usual slew of okay looking PlayStation VR games, including a Skyrim VR port (are you prepared to spend a hundred hours in a sweaty VR helmet?). Destiny 2 and Call of Duty WWII made their obligatory appearances.

Sony's press conference fairly breezed along until Shawn Layden said he was leaving us with one final reveal, prompting everyone to basically be like, "Wait, what? It's over?"

We wrapped up with the excellent-looking Spider-Man, an admittedly QTE heavy action game that looks to follow in the footsteps of Arkham City (not a bad idea on Insomnia's part). It seemed like it would end Sony's night on a good note with a fall reveal. But then, like so many other games this weekend...

Yep.

As several observers noted on Twitter, we appear to be headed for quite the busy 2018. We've already seen a large number of games get pushed into the early part of next year, including God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, and a slew of others.

The number of promising games shown at this year's event should make for an excellent Spring 2018, but it does make this year's Sony presser feel disappointingly slight.

Indeed, even Sony's usual curveballs lacked punch. There was certainly nothing on the level of the Final Fantasy VII Remake or last year's Death Stranding reveal. It was brisk, it was expected, and then it was over.

Sorry Bloodborne fans. Maybe we'll get something at GamesCom or PSX.

None of this means that this will be a bad holiday season. After all, we're getting Star Wars Battlefront 2, Destiny 2, Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, Assassin's Creed Origins, Super Mario Odyssey, and a slew of other high-profile releases. There will be plenty to keep us busy once the fall rolls around.

Not even Day's Gone's zombie bear will make 2017.

But as for right now, Sony missed an opportunity to really hit back hard at Microsoft's big Xbox One X reveal. We've got plenty of games to look forward to, but it's nowhere near the embarrassment of riches we were expecting.

It was a middling conclusion to a weekend of press conferences that felt surprisingly limp outside of Ubisoft's gangbusters showing. Lots of expected games, little in the way of surprises, and lots of delays into 2018.

Yep, it's the middle of the generation alright. Settle in: It's only going to get more predictable from here.

The ending might not have felt so abrupt if the whole thing wasn't just a stream of trailers. Not that I want a bunch of dumb PR bragging and bullshit in my E3 press conferences, but it kind of felt like a YouTube playlist. Of games that were announced at the last E3.
    I haven't watched a single conference, between weekend trips, work, and the NBA Finals. I'll be a cool 0 for 6 this year and I'm OK with that because your recaps give me everything I need in a 5 minute read that a 2 hour conference won't.

But from what I've read, Ubisoft crushed it with hype, of course they don't always execute that well so take it with a grain of salt. The other four seemed pretty bad based on all the Twitter shenanigans I've read. But there is one wild card: Nintendo.

They aren't in the middle of the generation like Sony and MS, they literally JUST launched their console. I'm just saying, the opportunity for the masses to squeal is still a possibility. I will miss it due to work, but I look forward to the written recap lol
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #3 UnskippableCutscene 3 months ago
    It's not like this year is lacking for games. Last year's E3 had a bunch of "next year" games as well, and they're paying off so well that some people have penned "too many good games" editorials lately.
  • Avatar for PsychicPumpkin #4 PsychicPumpkin 3 months ago
    Microsoft didn't do much that made me regret not being a Xbox owner but Sony sure did reaffirm my choice of being a PlayStation owner.
    I liked the Microsoft conference more, as it had an edge on more colorful and different games. Watching the Sony conference made me rather sleepy, especially when it was my bedtime. What I feel is, I wish I had an Xbox One S, but I am glad I have a PS4, to play the classics!
  • Avatar for KeroseneBlast #6 KeroseneBlast 3 months ago
    It definitely felt like they saw Microsoft and Nintendo release new consoles and thought "let's just show some games and stay out of the limelight this year." Not a bad press conference, but not earth-shattering like the last few years.
    Yeah a pretty average conference for Sony this year. Ubisoft and Microsoft had better showing surprisingly. Maybe they knew Xbox was probably going to make a bigger splash, and they had to much announced but still unreleased stuff on their plate that they purposely dialed it back this year. Still lots to look forward to.
    All of the press conferences so far have been depressing. There's such an ugly sameness to modern games. Too many creators are embracing a grotesque, uncanny valley look to graphics and I find it extremely boring. Game design is stuck in the PS2 era and it feels like only a few companies are still good at designing games. I guess that's why I'm more of a retro enthusiast and a Nintendo gamer.
    @nilcam I feel like this is the same case every year. I wouldn't get so down since E3 is all about the spectacle and chasing trends. It's actually a small portion of the games that are coming out and doesn't reflect the variety of games that are out there to play.

But yeah, thank Christ we have Nintendo around to offer some variety in the AAA space even if they fall into the same trap every now and then.
    @nilcam I find it a little ironic that you accuse other developers about sameness and then mention a company whose biggest game coming out this year looks, sounds, and (will more than likely) play like a game they released 20 years ago. It even has the same story.Edited June 2017 by Jericho-GM
    @Jericho-GM Lol. Nobody plays Mario games for their story and we don't know much of anything about Oddyssey. Anyways tye broader point is that Nintendo, even while iterating on established formulas, they're formulas only Nintendo is doing. Their games feel fresh because of it. There isn't going to be a Sony or MS version of Mario Oddyssey.
    @Kuni-Nino My point is that the OP thinks other developers are "stuck in the PS2 era" while Nintendo isn't, even though their biggest game looks, sounds, and plays (more or less) like a game from 1996, with the same character you've been playing since 1985.

That's not fresh. It's their own personal brand of boring, and continuing to put Nintendo on a pedestal (on an article totally unrelated to them, even) is equally tiresome.Edited 2 times. Last edited June 2017 by Jericho-GM
    Yeah, Sony was light this year in terms of ground shattering announcements, with the remake of Shadow of the Colossus being the only one. Still, what they shown looked solid for the most part.

I’m definitely looking forward to the new God of War and Insomniac’s Spider-man game.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #14 brionfoulke91 3 months ago
    This is honestly fine. I'm still catching up with the deluge of games from the end of 2016 / first half of 2017. I still need to finish Persona 5, darn it! Let's slow down for a little while, go ahead and delay those killer games till 2018!
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #15 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago
    WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!

FF15 FISHING IN VR!!! BEST GAME IN SHOW! HANDS ALL THE WAY DOWN!!!!

ps - I hope ps vr goes down in price one day because now i see a reason to get it. And ok, Mario looks good too...
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #16 UnskippableCutscene 3 months ago
    @Jericho-GM You have a point. Nintendo games, especially anything mascot based, has had that same sort of endlessly cheery, doo-wop soundtrack, jigsaw font brightly colored feel that goes back to SNES.

There is creative stuff, though, in the indie space. Ubisoft advertised (I don't want to say "showed") a partnered VR game that I'm not even sure what it is supposed to be. And that one Blade Runner style game from the Xbox conference looked great. And even after four years(?!) of E3, Cuphead still hasn't been imitated before it can hit market.Edited June 2017 by UnskippableCutscene
    @Jericho-GM I feel Nintendo innovates frequently; most people don't notice it because they hide it in their established series. I find their games attractive because they about realism and shoot for a more animated aesthetic. Mario Odyssey had a more appealing aesthetic than anything shown by Sony, MS, or Ubi. Arc Systems really nails my preferred visual style, especially that new DBZ game.

Modern game design feels stagnant overall, Nintendo included. They've had a few games that pushed boundaries lately but not as many as I'd like. Their games still feel fresher than hyper violent FPS #5,123 or shiny realistic car game #112. Indie games are the most innovative of late, which makes a lot of sense since video games seen to be following the Hollywood model.

Feel free to disagree. I know my opinion is in the minority and that's cool. I was just adding my 2 cents in to the conversation.

Comments