The Most In-Depth Mega Man Legacy Collection Interview You'll Read Today

We discuss the philosophy and tech behind the anthology with Capcom and Digital Eclipse.

Interview by Jeremy Parish, .

Jump to: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3

By now, you should know the deal with the Mega Man Legacy Collection, which arrives next week on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. We spoke about it with Capcom reps on Retronauts, then went hands-on to check out its impressive fidelity to the NES games at E3.

In short, it's a collection of all six NES Mega Man NES games designed to be as faithful to the original software as possible. Developer Digital Eclipse has added some extras, including a database and a challenge mode, as well as a few different display options, but otherwise the goal has been to present the original games as accurately as possible. I recently had the opportunity to meet with Capcom's Rey Jimenez and Digital Eclipse's Frank Cifaldi to learn more about the philosophy behind the collection, talk about the nuts-and-bolts of its creation, and ponder the things that collection doesn't compile.

USgamer: How has reaction been to the Legacy Collection now that people have seen and played it?

Rey Jimenez, Capcom: Everyone that we've talked to really understands the goal that Capcom and Digital Eclipse are after — preservation and the authentic reproduction of the NES games, and understands that why it's only Mega Man 1 through 6. Once we really explained that this is really focusing on the true 8-bit games themselves. Very positive. We didn't get any of the Mega Man cynicism that we were kind of afraid of. It really wasn't there.

Frank Cifaldi, Digital Eclipse: I feel like when there is cynicism, it's for the first couple of minutes and then they actually talk to Rey or me and understand the passion that's actually going into this and it seems to be very positive.

USG: I feel like the cynicism happened at the initial announcement. It seemed like there was more negativity than positivity, maybe it was just where I was looking online….

Frank: Is there any announcement that isn't like that in games?

Rey: I was looking at NeoGAF, which is as cynical as it can get sometimes with these games, and aside from, "Why is this only 1 through 6?" there wasn't too much. Most was very positive.

USG: Personally, seeing just 1 through 6 made sense to me, because it is kind of a set. But also, I've kind of over the years come to appreciate more limited selections and compilations as opposed to an all-encompassing approach. I always hold up the Sega 3D Ages that M2 developed for PlayStation 2 as the gold standard.

Frank: That's what I hear.

USG: Those are each like, two or three games. But they're really comprehensive about those two or three games.

Frank: We at Digital eclipse agree with you. It's kind of one of the things when we started talking about this early on — we identified as what we see as a problem, which is that doing that sort of 30 cowboy movies in one DVD pack you buy at Big Lots sort of approach to games is just devaluing them. I don't think that's right. I think games like the original Mega Man classics are worth a sort of premium presentation — and I say premium even though it's $15 — but I agree with you.

Rey: It's the effort.

Frank: Even stuff we did as Digital Eclipse did in the past, like the Sega Genesis Collection [for PlayStation 3], we just don't feel that approach of throwing everything in a bucket in a value pack is the right way to go, because I don't think that shows rights holders like Capcom that there's actual value in these old games and that we should really take our time and do them right.

Rey: Talking about titles we've actually worked on before, I had worked on the Mega Man Anniversary Collection on the PS2, Xbox and GameCube. While it wasn't just a cash-in, we had all eight games there and some other extra content, and the idea was to give more content. Not that there was no focus on the quality and how accurate they were, but you kind of dilute that particular focus by adding everything else in there. Even though there are technical limitations, by focusing on 1 through 6 we were able to make those much more focused and present authentic game play experiences like they were supposed to be.

USG: It also makes sense from a tech perspective to just go with the NES games because they're the same hardware being reproduced. I know it's not emulation, technically, but it's working to the same spec. Did you consider throwing in [Japan-only Famicom game] RockBoard as a sort of bonus, given that it's the odd one out on the same technology or platform?

Rey: The answer isn't no. We definitely had thought about it, but there wasn't really a way for that to fit in for us, especially since it was in Japanese, right? So…

Frank: We even looked at translating it, if I could speak to that for a second.

Rey: As close to the technological images, you could theoretically do it, but you're starting to go away from everything we're trying to do, which is to keep everything authentic. We couldn't release an all-Japanese board game here in the U.S., so…

USG: Is that just a case where you, personally, wouldn't feel good about it, or the platform rights holders would be, "No go"?

Rey: There is a requirement that all essential game information has to be localized to the support language and a game like a board game has a lot of essential text in it.

Frank: You can't play that if you don't understand Japanese.

USG: So even just throwing it in as a curio was off the table because of the logistics from on high?

Frank: We're aware of all the curios, right?

Rey: Nothing is really impossible if you really want to do it, and you have enough time and resources to do it, but it would just lose the focus of what we're doing.

Jump to: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3

I have always been confused by Digital Eclipse/Backbone. Are they the same company? Did Backbone revert their name to Digital Eclipse? It seems like all they do now is emulation-esque port work. And when did Frank Cifaldi join them? Man, this industry shifts constantly.
    Excited to pick this up, but that excitement is diminished by the recent announcement that the PS4 version's trophy list is hobbled and plat-less. What's up with that?
    Wait jeremy if you dont mind me asking,
    What do they mean about the "3D elements"? Do they mean stereoscopic graphics like the sega 3d classics and nintendo 3D classics or do they mean the lame floating menus and database elements? I have to know because as someone who already owns all the virtual console versions, this collection has to have that full stereoscopic graphics like the other mentioned collections to be worth purchasing for my 3DS. Im aware that this isnt really a deal breaker for you but the small portion of people who do care about that would like to know so they stop holding off on completing their own collections. Any insight on this would be appreciated
    The developers have been dodging this question from the initial announcement.Edited August 2015 by shurn
    I sure do appreciate the amount of work that's gone into this. I've still got my NES and all 6 games, but I'm interested in seeing what they do with the 3DS version. Not sure what all these extra modes, challenge modes, etc. are about but they could be interesting.
    I am definitely stoked for this. I hope it sells well enough to convince Capcom to release a new one.
    This was a fantastic interview. From a technical point of view, I find what they are doing in order to remaster these classics particularly interesting, and I hope that if this collection is successful, they will have the chance to use their engine to bring back even more classic games.
    Jeremy: is it correct to infer from Rey's quote that a Capcom Disney Collection was contemplated before going with Mega Man instead? That would be a helluva lot more interesting than MM1-6, which have been easily (legally) available to players since the PS2 era.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #8 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @Neifirst I think it's more like "man a Disney collection is sure a thing we'd like to do but we need to prove the value of this approach before Disney's going to even consider giving us a license." Or that's MY inference, anyway.
  • Avatar for BaltimoreJones #9 BaltimoreJones 2 years ago
    @jeremy.parish My God, a Capcom Disney NES collection would be incredible.
    Here's the problem. Ever since downloadable classic titles became a thing and Digital Eclipse claimed to "specialize" in them, they have never, EVER taken the time or shown the understanding necessary to get these titles right. Eight-direction arcade games programmed to recognize the analog stick but not the D-pad; inaccurate, ugly video modes; Start button menus that pop up and prevent the game from recognizing the actual IN-GAME Start button command - name an obvious, amateur-hour mistake and it's probably in Digital Eclipse's back catalog somewhere. These guys do not by any stretch stand alongside a group like M2.

This is why it's so disconcerting to see a push for "the Criterion Collection of games" come from this company in particular. Whatever Mr. Cifaldi's particular reputation, it's hard to believe one man can change a long-standing culture of ignorance and shortcuts. They can talk all they want but I will be very surprised if this collection reaches the high standards they claim to be striving for.

Jeremy, I'd guess you will be the one reviewing this title. As much as we'd all like to see an effort of this caliber, I hope you will call them out hard if it turns out they've just been blowing smoke.
    The lack of a Wii U version (and the lack of Mega Man 9 and 10) makes me sad, but if this collection is as good as I'm hoping it'll be, then I'll definitely be there to pick this up on PC and 3DS.

I kind of wish Frank had talked maybe a little more inside baseball about the collection and the individual games themselves, but this is still quite a nice interview.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #12 VotesForCows 2 years ago
    Very interesting insight into their engine - would love to know more about how that tech works!

Comments