PS3 Production Draws To a Close In Japan

It wasn't its predecessor or successor, but you will be missed PlayStation 3.

News by Mike Williams, .

Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will soon end production in Japan. The company's official PlayStation website noted that "shipments are scheduled to end soon", according to a report by GamesTalk, translated by Gematsu. The only unit type remaining in Japan is the standard 500 GB Super Slim.

A specific date for the end of production was not given, but Gematsu also found a tweet from a game shop in Kurume, Fukuoka that suggests production will be ending in March.

What Are The Best PS3 Games Ever?

There are stacks of sensational PS3 games, but which are the best of the best? Here are our personal picks - and not all of them are the critically-acclaimed smash-hits you might expect.

If true, that brings to an end a great 11 year run for the PlayStation 3. The system was a success for Sony, keeping pace with its competition, the Xbox 360. It did not dominate like the PlayStation 2 did or the PlayStation is currently doing. The PlayStation 3 had sold 85 million units by the end of March 2016; in contrast, the PlayStation 2 is the best-selling console of all-time with more than 155 million sold and the PlayStation 4 is already up to 53.4 million sold worldwide.

It had a tough start, but all told it's probably my favorite console of all time. Might be time to start looking for a backup.
    I got my PS4 in the past month, and although I love the GUI enhancements... it made me appreciate the PS3 so much more as Sony got A LOT of mileage out of the machine, being influenced by the app generation of mobile computing.
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #3 Monkey-Tamer 7 months ago
    I wonder how many of the 85 million were double purchases for people that had to buy another when their launch console went kaput (mine did). The PS3 had some great games, though. Thankfully emulation is slowly making its way to a playable state. I just hope I can add anti-aliasing. Infamous 2 was tough to look at.
    Between this and the Wii U, I can play so much of Video Game History. I love the PS3. I'm still hoping PS4 gets PS1 games...
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #5 SatelliteOfLove 7 months ago
    Too bad it's been the PS3 Scrawny that Sony's been selling for the last 4 years. Ugly as sin compared to the Slim.

Oh well, I guess it's its time. I put mine away in September. I'm kinda surprised it lasted this long with the bottom dropping out in 2014 and Now.
    my launch PS3 still works! i keep it around so i can play 3 generations of playstation on a single box. i'll be sad when it gives up the ghost...
    The PS3 was fantastic, and it wouldn't have been if Sony didn't keep their promise to support it through some very rough years. I'm not sure a game console will ever be so ambitious again.

Comments