PS4 Slim: A Smaller, Cheaper PlayStation 4 is Incoming

Sony isn't just launching the PS4 Neo, it's also replacing the original model.

News by Mike Williams, .

Yesterday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Sony is looking to announce a new model of the PlayStation 4 alongside the upcoming PlayStation 4 Neo. Analysts pointed to a cheaper model, aimed at more mainstream consumers. The WSJ also reported that Sony has cut production of the original PlayStation 4, with existing models beginning to run out of stock in many retailers. Sony has the PlayStation Meeting planned for September 7 in New York, but the assumption was that the press event was for the Neo alone.

PS4 Slim picture via Eurogamer.

This news was followed by a number of online leaks of the new, slimmer PlayStation 4. Most of these images were collected over on NeoGAF, showing a slightly smaller PS4 in matte plastic. Many assumed that the pictures were an elaborate Photoshop.

That was until today, when Eurogamer visited one of the owners of the leaked PlayStation 4 Slim. In a set of photos and a video (since removed), Eurogamer showed off the remodeled system, even booting it up to confirm that it wasn't an elaborate fake.

Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda told the Wall Street Journal that he believes the remodeled PlayStation 4, the Neo, and the PlayStation VR are a big push to accelerate sales in the gaming hardware division of Sony. The company is looking to expand one of its best-performing divisions to a wider audience. In its annual report for last year, Sony forecasted sales of 20 million PlayStation 4 system by the end of this fiscal year on March 2017.

We don't know the price points for the hardware yet, but we can paint a potential picture. A slim PS4 at $299, the hot rod Neo model at the launch price of $399, plus the first virtual reality push at mainstream consumers with PlayStation VR. That's all speculation, but it sounds like the recipe for a solid holiday for Sony and the PlayStation division. If only there's was a Vita 2 to fit in the Trinity slot alongside Morpheus (PlayStation VR) and Neo.

Header image via Eurogamer. Thumbnail image via Twitter.

I actually really like the look of it. Very minimalist which is what im all about in slimmer versions. I will be passing on the slim model though as I want to upgrade to the Neo.Edited August 2016 by cldmstrsn
    A terrific, unbiased news story marred by absolutely inappropriate editorialization in the headline. USGamer's readers deserve better.
    I need to see what the white version looks like. I like the original's sharp corners, and the half-glossy, half-matte look.
    @themblan Are they releasing a white version? That would be pretty cool.
    "If only there's was a Vita 2 to fit in the Trinity slot alongside Morpheus (PlayStation VR) and Neo. "

I second that statement!

But a Vita 2 is less likely than a full invasion by an alien force. :(
    This might look better in a different color or half-glossy. Really, really boring as is. Also, it's still got a pretty big footprint. why not make reduce that a bit rather than make it so short?
    @Woogity I dont think the pictures do it justice. It really is almost half the size. At least thats what the folks at eurogamer said.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #8 UnskippableCutscene 6 months ago
    Well, at least there's no fingerprint magnet, but I loathe rounded corners.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #9 VotesForCows 6 months ago
    Richard Leadbetter takes great pictures.
    @cldmstrsn It looks like it's about the same length and width. That's what the PS4 needs to trim down. This would look alright in the PlayStation blue color. Why are there no colorful PS4s? The white and silver slim PS2s were cool.
    Edit: I see there is a white PS4, but more colors would be nice.Edited August 2016 by Woogity
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #11 LBD_Nytetrayn 6 months ago
    Insert comments about who needs an Xbox One S when Scorpio is coming, edited for Slim and Neo?
    “Uglier” is not the adjective I would use to describe this. “Boring” seems more appropriate (although, as other people here have pointed out, it might look better in another color).

While I don’t have any interest whatsoever on the NEO (and still kinda hate the damned thing on principle alone), I have to admit I’m tempted to buy this particular version of the PS4, but price will be the major factor on that (if it’s not effectively cheaper than the current model in my country, I won’t bother).
    The launch PS4 was a beautifully subtle piece of product design but this new one almost looks like a cheap Chinese clone system. I'm hoping pics don't do it justice.
    @docexe Im really interested why you "hate it on principle"? Isnt choice really good for the consumer? If the base PS4 can play all the games Neo can and vice versa isnt it good to have an entry model that is cheaper? To me this seems a win win for casuals and hardcore a like. No one is forcing anybody to buy it and its basically like upgrading your PC.
    @cldmstrsn I think the "principle" is that if Neo and other intermediary consoles sell well, companies might consider skipping the step of continuing to offer the base model version and just do forced upgrades every 2 years. That's not the reality right now but I believe that's the fear, that they're just testing the waters.
    @swamped Ya I can see it but I still dont see that happening as they alienate basically everyone. If they stick with x86 it could work to do these incremental upgrades every 3 or 4 years and im sure developers would also like it as they basically will just have more power to work with rather than re learn a new system everytime.
    @cldmstrsn Some of my hatred of the NEO is admittedly irrational, tinged by that “good old” resistance to change that often affects us when we are already accustomed to how certain things play out.

But it’s mostly what@swamped mentions: It’s more about what the PS4 NEO (and for that matter, the Scorpio as well) represents in terms of console hardware cycles and what this change to a “smartphone-like” refresh cycle might entail.

Admittedly, this might just be completely irrational fear on my part and things might turn out well in the end with this type of incremental iterations. Yet the whole thing has just bummed me out and I haven’t been able to shed those negative emotions yet.

Comments